• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MORGAJ1
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2020

First 6.5 Grendel

Long-time AR owner, but new to 6.5 Grendel and this forum. We hunt hogs at our club during the off-season and I have found 5.56 lacking for some of the bigger ones. My 12yo and I have been shooting 7mm-08 bolt guns but really wanted an AR platform that would perform well beyond 300 AAC. After researching, I narrowed it to 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC. Doing a little more research, the Grendel was the way to go for me. Ordered an upper from PSA and some dies/brass from Midway. Loaded up some break-in rounds with 100gr Ballistic Tips over a moderate load of TAC. Functioned well, except it is really beating up the mouth of my brass. Will get the gas block adjusted on the next range trip. Was pleasantly surprised to see 1.06 MOA at 100 yards with this load after only 20 or so break-in rounds. Have some 120gr Sierra PH and IMR 8208XBR on the way. Also have some 123gr SST factory ammo to try too. Can't wait to really dial this upper in and have fun with my son hunting hogs.
  • Lemonaid
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Welcome Morgaj1. I read of a tip using a bit of stick on Velcro on the shell deflector and it works well for me. Easy fix.

Comment

• MORGAJ1
      Unwashed
      • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
      Welcome Morgaj1. I read of a tip using a bit of stick on Velcro on the shell deflector and it works well for me. Easy fix.
      Thats a great idea, thanks!

Comment

• Rosecrans1
        Warrior
        • Feb 2019

Welcome to the hoard! My PSA upper is a shooter and it sounds like you have a good one as well! I also had to turn the gas back on the AGB. I have been using Berger 130gr Open-tip hybrids in mine as the most accurate at 100 and 200 yards using 8208xbr and H4895. It honestly shoots everything but 90's and Hornaday SST's under MOA all day long. I can get SST's under 1MOA but only at the ragged edge and not consistently. For whatever reason, 90gr bullets are always 1.5 to 2.

Comment

• FLshooter
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2019

Comment

Working...
          X