• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Appalachian American
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2020

Requesting opinions regarding 6.5 Grendel for hunting

Hello, I am new to this forum but have been reading it from a distance for a few months now. I recently put together a fairly nice 223 Wylde for 2K (not including optics) and I enjoy it a lot- so now I want to put together a 6.5 Grendel. I used Wilson Combat receivers/18" medium barrel/NiB bcg/gas block, Geisselle trigger/handguard, BCM furniture/buffer/charging handle, Troy BUIS, and a Surefire compensator for the Wylde build. I also bought an extra set of Wilson Combat receivers. Dealing with Wilson Combat required a lot of patience and I want this 6.5 Grendel to be a better rifle, as it will also be a hunting rifle out to 300 yards (usually much less) unless I take it with me out west. So, I am requesting input.....

My query for you 6.5 Grendel experts is as follows: should I use the WC receivers and buy the WC 20" barrel for the full build? OR, use both receivers and go with a different primary vendor for the barrel/bcg? OR, buy a full 18" rifle from Alexander Arms & add optics? OR, contact Mark at Precision Firearms, have him build the 20" upper and I build the lower with the WC receiver plus add optics? I would also appreciate opinions regarding the JP 6.5 Grendel bcg & barrels- WC really irritated me and I suspect my JP experience may be similar, so are they worth it if I decide to build with them? If so, keep WC receivers or buy JP? Final query- is side charge upper a plus for 6.5 Grendel? FYI- WC would show materials in stock on their web site, then send me notices the materials were not in stock/backordered. This process went on for months and was highly irritating- don't mind waiting if honest is up front.

Background- I live in mountains of East TN, have hunted all of my life, but I am only an average shot at best (mid-50s microscopist with eyes which have logged many thousands of hours on microscopes & electron microscopes in professional life- I just don't see as well as I did as a kid). I have no military or competitive shooting experience with rifles.. Having stated such, I've been hunting for 50 years, mostly with shotguns and bolts (.243 up to 7mm mag). I guess what I am really asking (in your opinion), is it worth the headache to build a rifle with less than 0.5 moa for someone like me- cool factor doesn't play here, so please be honest. Thank you very much for your time and opinion. Apologies for the book, just want to get this right.
  • hill37
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

I would go with a PSA upper. https://palmettostatearmory.com/daily-deals-new.html You have to search 6.5 Grendel for the deal to show up. Sorry about that. It should meet your needs. You could buy a lot of ammo and get to be a better shot. ,
    Last edited by hill37; 04-26-2020, 06:43 PM. Reason: bad link

Comment

• Bigs28
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2016

Mark at precision firearms makes a great product. Sometimes their are delays in lead times but if you have the time i wouldn't hesitate to use him. I build my own but order barrels from him and they are outstanding.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

Welcome to the forum. You can build a very nice 6.5 Grendel for a lot less than 2K. Very nice.
        Start with a quality barrel, there are some that are available off the shelf, or you can have one made by several mfrs.
        Mark at Precision firearms has very good barrels, also at that level off the shelf I would say get a Lilja from Lilja.com directly, I have their 20" (the "740") and it is super. Quality but nice economy for the upper receiver (like Aero or BCM), and lower again Aero or bcm, or spikes -- there are several, use a nice lpk minus trigger kit -- look at joebob.com for lots of these parts, you can't go wrong.
        Put your money into
        a) barrel,
        b) trigger,
        c) optics,
        and keep the rest as good pieces/parts but you don't have to buy name brand.

Geissele are great triggers, there are other choices I would look at like timney or "timney-like".

But the parts that really make you a better shooter are the three mentioned above.
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Bigs28
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2016

Larue triggers are $80 now. Can't beat them for the price.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
            Warrior
            • Apr 2011

6.5 Grendel members get a 5% discount on all orders. Just email me after your place your order for a refund back to your card.

Mark Hostetter
            Precision Firearms
            "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
              Warrior
              • Apr 2011

New Members get 10% off one time order. Not valid on all products though like the less expensive barrels.
              "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 04-26-2020, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• Appalachian American
                  Unwashed
                  • Apr 2020

Thank you (grayfox) for your reply. I chose the same Lilja 20" barrel if I go with either the full build or with Precision. I had thought to try the Timney trigger with a hunting rig. Optics I understand- it is how I make a living. Do I understand you correct- you suggest I build it with the extra set of Wilson Combat receivers?

Comment

• Appalachian American
                    Unwashed
                    • Apr 2020

Thank you Vascar2. I understand the average to be ~25 fps difference in the 18 & 20 barrels and in the neighborhood of ~ 50 yards travel. I appreciate you providing the numbers. The 18" 223 Wylde WC barrel I have is very accurate. Do you suggest I build w/ the extra set of WC receivers or go a different direction? Thanks again.
                    Last edited by Appalachian American; 04-27-2020, 01:43 AM.

Comment

• Appalachian American
                      Unwashed
                      • Apr 2020

Thank you, Big28! Precision does appear to be the preferred shop with the folks who post regularly.

Comment

• Appalachian American
                        Unwashed
                        • Apr 2020

Thanks Hill37. I've been shooting for over 50 years, was taught by a great-grandfather who was a very good shot and a grandfather who was not quite as good. One fought in WWI & the other fought in WWII. I don't think I am going to get much better.....but I did put 3 .243 rounds inside of a quarter at 200 yards last fall. Once! (Lol) I meant I cannot shoot with those guys ringing in at over .5 mile. My 7mm mag is zeroed at 300 yards and I plan to do the same with the 6.5 Grendel. We don't have to make those shots in the foothills (we call them mountains) of East TN & Western NC. I will pass on PSA but thanks.

Comment

• Klem
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

Appalachian,

What scope are you going to mount?

Sub 0.5MOA (confidently and on average) is the holy grail of the AR15. You will spend your whole barrel life chasing this. For this sort of [rarely achieved] accuracy only the best barrels will do - Bartlein, Kreiger, Lilja. That said, no harm in wanting the best potential possible in a gun.

Comment

• Appalachian American
                            Unwashed
                            • Apr 2020

Klem, I prefer Leuopold scopes. I agree with you- I can't consistently get sub 0.5 moa with my .243 bolt at 100 yards. I read/hear about folks who have that ability and my jaw drops. Of course, my jaw drops at those folks out west who can make those 0.5 mile (or better) hunting shots. Each to his own- my real point was I have real doubts as to ever being able to make such a claim even using the best barrel/trigger/scope setup. It's not that I mind to spend the money, it's just I am sceptical on the rate of diminishing return I would get with the 2500-3000 barrel/trigger/scope setup some folks use. Thanks for asking. Do you have an opinion on my original queries? Build, buy, buy upper/build lower, side charge upper....??? Thank you.
                            Last edited by Appalachian American; 04-27-2020, 01:00 AM.

Comment

• FLshooter
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2019

Comment

Working...
                              X