• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Toofast
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2020

Best barrel in the $300 range

I'm building a 6.5 upper for hunting, looking for something 16" and fluted that will shoot 1 MOA for around $300. I have a proof research barrel on my 5.56 upper and I love it but I'm really trying to stick to some sort of budget on this upper. I've seen mixed things about Alexander Arms and Ballistic Advantage. Precision Firearms has some nice barrels but they're all a bit spendy, especially once you add fluting, and they have a long lead time. The Monster barrels promoted here on the forum are really affordable but I can't find many hands on reviews of them. So what's the best tube for the $ if weight is a consideration?

Alexander?
    BA?
    PF lower end build (Samurai)?
    Faxon?
    Odin?
    Criterion?
    Wilson Combat?
    Monster barrels promoted on the forum?
  • mdram
    Warrior
    • Sep 2016

fluting adds to the barrel price, usually 100 or more most places
    criterion stocks an 18" for 320 on thier website
    just some targets for printing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Toofast
      Unwashed
      • Apr 2020

That's why I would prefer a barrel that comes fluted from the factory rather than a custom barrel. If not fluted, then at least light weight like the Faxon.

Comment

• 1Shot
        Warrior
        • Feb 2018

It is not fluted but I used a 18" Oden which ran a little over $400 two years ago but I got a complete bolt carrier group, tunable gas block and gas tube for the intermediate length gas in the package. It is very accurate and balances great and is MUCH lighter than the 20" BCA fluted barrel upper I have on another rife with the identical lower.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

A barrel from Mark at PF. Tell him you want a light weight barrel profile and not fluted. He will make whatever you want.

I had one of the 20 inch moster barrels, it was a good shooter, basicly a hunting barrel and good enough to ring steel out too 400 yards.

I have a 12 inch moster barrel now and it shoots great and can hit steel out as far as 600 yards just like my 12.5 from Mark at PF.

A fluted barrel will be stiffer then a thinner profiled barrel but it will never be as light weight as a thinner profiled barrel.

If light weight is what you want shorter and thinner profiled is the best route. But it also has groups that open faster when the barrel gets hot.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• mel
            Chieftain
            • Nov 2019

i have 0 compliants about the wilson barrel i went with
            they are out of stock on the 16 but have 18's in stock

and i have the 20 recon

now taht the 22's are in stock i may have to pick one of those up as well

Comment

• Toofast
              Unwashed
              • Apr 2020

That was my first choice after doing more research. I have a Wilson 1911 and the quality is top notch.

Comment

• DL42
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2017

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

LaRue Tactical ultimate in 6.5 Grendel get very good reviews and might be worth considering. Wilson Combat, Criterion, LaRue and Lilja all get good reviews.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 04-22-2020, 01:49 AM.

Comment

• plugneck
                    Unwashed
                    • Aug 2019

I have a BA 20" DMR profile that will consistently shoot 5 shot groups at MOA and often under. I also have a Satern/Liberty 18" that I bought on their special deals tab that shoots about that well. It was a great value for $125.00. I know you asked about 16" barrels but the only two barrels of that length I have messed with were BCA M4 profile barrels. Neither would hold less than a 4" group. They were bought on sale and weren't worth the postage to send back.

Comment

• plt228
                      Bloodstained
                      • Feb 2016

Comment

• FLshooter
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2019

Comment

• am4966
                          Chieftain
                          • Jul 2014

Will Craddock turn a blank you give him for a Grendel barrel? Always wanted a Grendel with a Broughton barrel!
                          12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                          Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                          Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Lastrites
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2017

Rebby's Lija group buy deal going on if you can into it and can add $100 to your budget would be an excellent option as well. My 14.5" shoots way better than I deserve, zero regrets and I understand having a budget restrictions!
                            Last edited by Lastrites; 05-04-2020, 10:14 PM.

Comment

• Old Bob
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2019

Wilson Combat Match Grade Barrel, 6.5 Grendel, Recon Tactical, 20", 1-8 Twist, Stainless, Fluted back in stock. $304.95

I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

Working...
                              X