what do you guys think of this Upper!? I REALLY like the look and the price...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you guys think of this Upper!? I REALLY like the look and the price...

Just as the title says, i REALLY like the price and look. I am not too familiar with model 1,I looked into them when looking for my 5.56 upper, and read quite a bit of good reviews..

however, i am not familiar enough with the 6.5 to know if the ER Shaw barrel is good, if the twist rate is good, etc.

Please advise!

james
    Last edited by Guest; 01-29-2012, 03:37 AM.
  • Pancho Villa

ER Shaw has a VERY mixed reputation.

Model 1 is pretty much the lowest tier AR you can get.

If you're on a really tight budget...I dunno. I hate to say don't buy an AR. I put together a really boss AR-15 in 5.56 for under $750 all up, but if you're dead set on 6.5 on a budget...I don't think you can get anything good.

I mean, Model 1 is fine to just play around at the range in, though you'll probably get sub-par accuracy if you're a benchrest guy and quite possibly get a laundry list of problems that come from poor AR builds (and are the source of much of the "ARs are unreliable" myths that continue to this day.)

If you possibly can, grab something a little better. If you've got the dough to feed a 6.5 AR, you should have the dough to buy quality, and quality beats a few hundred bucks 10 times out of 10.

Comment

fyi

originally posted by whelenon

Originally posted by Whelenon View Post
      http://jtdistributing.net/store/product1280.html

Bravo Company USA, Inc is your source for the highest quality parts, & tactical accessories for your AR-15, M16, M4 Carbine

lokiweaponsystems.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, lokiweaponsystems.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Support page for warranty, service, and returns

Custom AR-15 Type Rifles and Uppers. Specializing in 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 308, 260 Remington, 243, and 5.56 or 223 Wylde Chambers. We build on the AR15 Type Action and AR10 or LR308 action. We use Barrels from Lilja, Bartlein, Hart, Kreiger, and Lothar Walther. Precision Firearms is an FFL licensed firearm manufacturer. We build custom, highly accurate, AR15 Rifles and Uppers for LE, competition, match, varmint, and sport applications.

http://www.alexanderarms.com/

Here's some that I've found on-line, start with Alexander Arms, they developed the Grendel and is the benchmark.
      Welcome to the board.
      Last edited by Guest; 01-29-2012, 04:02 AM.

Comment

• Pancho Villa

For about $220 more you get an upper from a place with a slightly better reputation, that at least stakes its gas keys and purports to have good quality control.

Or you can go with an AA barrel/bolt/upper combo and have a qualified gunsmith assemble your's out of parts for slightly less - my estimation is about $600 shipped + whatever fee your gunsmith charges to assemble everything (usually $25-75.)

Comment

Originally posted by Pancho Villa View Post
          ER Shaw has a VERY mixed reputation.

Model 1 is pretty much the lowest tier AR you can get.

If you're on a really tight budget...I dunno. I hate to say don't buy an AR. I put together a really boss AR-15 in 5.56 for under $750 all up, but if you're dead set on 6.5 on a budget...I don't think you can get anything good.

I mean, Model 1 is fine to just play around at the range in, though you'll probably get sub-par accuracy if you're a benchrest guy and quite possibly get a laundry list of problems that come from poor AR builds (and are the source of much of the "ARs are unreliable" myths that continue to this day.)

If you possibly can, grab something a little better. If you've got the dough to feed a 6.5 AR, you should have the dough to buy quality, and quality beats a few hundred bucks 10 times out of 10.
          Thanks boss thats what i needed to know! I already have a BCM 16" middy that I bout and build the lower for myself. Just really want to get into a 6.5 grendel for long range hunting/ shooting.
          For an upper, i'd say 1K is my budget and i can just rob the lower from my 5.56 for the time being..

Comment

Originally posted by 65man View Post
            fyi

originally posted by whelenon
            thank you!!!

http://www.saodind.com/index.php?pag...art&Itemid=164

For about $220 more you get an upper from a place with a slightly better reputation, that at least stakes its gas keys and purports to have good quality control.

Or you can go with an AA barrel/bolt/upper combo and have a qualified gunsmith assemble your's out of parts for slightly less - my estimation is about $600 shipped + whatever fee your gunsmith charges to assemble everything (usually $25-75.)
            Man. I feel like a total dumbass, i never even thought about doing that. Prob. cheaper than buying the already assembled upper from AA

Comment

• Pancho Villa

Originally posted by USAF007 View Post
              thank you!!!

Man. I feel like a total dumbass, i never even thought about doing that. Prob. cheaper than buying the already assembled upper from AA
              I ran the numbers last week:

AA ($380)

$365 - upper, bolt, barrel
              $15 - shipping

Bravo Company ($105)

$69 - Bolt Carrier Assembly
              $23 - Charging Handle
              $10 - Shipping

Midway USA ($102)

$35 - Lopro Gas
              $12 - Gas tube
              $35 - Generic Free-float tube
              $20 - Shipping

Call is $50 to assemble, check headspace, maybe even test fire.

$637 with estimated shipping and assembly charges. Call is $650 just to give yourself a little more room for error. That's less money than a model 1 upper + crappy model 1 bolt/charging handle.

Hard to go wrong with that, imo. Stick a decent piece of glass on there on a solid mount and you're ready to slay some deer.

Comment

I ran the numbers last week:

AA ($380)

$365 - upper, bolt, barrel
                $15 - shipping

Bravo Company ($105)

$69 - Bolt Carrier Assembly
                $23 - Charging Handle
                $10 - Shipping

Midway USA ($102)

$35 - Lopro Gas
                $12 - Gas tube
                $35 - Generic Free-float tube
                $20 - Shipping

Call is $50 to assemble, check headspace, maybe even test fire.

$637 with estimated shipping and assembly charges. Call is $650 just to give yourself a little more room for error. That's less money than a model 1 upper + crappy model 1 bolt/charging handle.

Hard to go wrong with that, imo. Stick a decent piece of glass on there on a solid mount and you're ready to slay some deer.
                Thank you!!! i just started another thread, this answers my question lol. ALthough where are you finding the upper, bolt and barrel combo for 365 on AA's website. all i could find is a barrel bolt combo for like 500 bucks

Comment

maybe AA are clearing their inventory because of this http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...ers-and-rifles.

Comment

yeah, i read that. Maybe i will wait a month or two, save up some cash and see what happens. I was looking at the spartan 18" fluted barrel and bolt combo.. Any suggestions?

Comment

thats i am waiting for also for another build, but Susan email said that 4-6 weeks and maybe we can have the price by then.

Comment

Working...
                      X