• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ptarmigan
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2019

PSA 18" SS for first Grendel

New here and to the Grendel. Just got my new upper the other day and was able to get to the range today. I started off with some cheap wolf ammo just to get some rounds through it. Accuracy was not great but I didn't lose hope based on that. This is going to be more of a hunting gun than a range gun, so I was hoping for MOA with decent ammo. I switched to 120gr Fusions and it started to show some promise. My fourth shot was a flyer and I knew it as soon as I pulled the trigger. Minus that my group was about 1.3", 2" with the flyer. I let it cool down as I hadn't after shooting the wolf. Just before I left I put three more Fusions downrange and couldn't have asked for better. I know guys like their 5 or 10 shot groups, but for a hunting gun I'm most concerned with the first three out of a cold barrel. BTW, range was at 100yds. Hope to stretch it out more in the near future. Pretty happy so far!

18" SS Upper, PSA lower with minimalist stock, CMC flat trigger, Burris E1 3x9x40 scope, Burris pepr one piece ring/base, and 10rd ASC SS mags. I tossed the A2 flashhider as I don't care for them. Should be hell on caribou this fall for my 10yr old boy!

First 6 Fusions with flyer

Minus the flyer

Last 3 fusions with a cold barrel

• MaineAR
    Warrior
    • Sep 2018

That’s about what my buddy got out of his 18” SS PSA upper last fall with Hornady SST ammo. We could cover the group with his thumbnail. I couldn’t believe the accuracy. I bought a 12” PSA Nitride Barrel off another member here and am waiting to wrap it up and get to the range. I was hoping to go 18” PSA nitride upper but with ARP having their last 5 6.5 barrels on clearance, I caved and picked one up. Waiting on delivery now. I’ve had great luck with ARP barrels in the past, but man, the PSA was hard to pass up! Good luck on harvesting some Caribou!!

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Welcome to the Forum ptarmigan, great report thanks for posting.

Comment

• Mesa1978
        Warrior
        • May 2015

PSA does have a break-in suggested for their SS barrels. YMMV.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry...cy/301-290611/ (Second post.)
        Last edited by Mesa1978; 05-04-2019, 03:56 PM.

Comment

• Mac7
          Bloodstained
          • Feb 2017

Looks good and should work great for your son. My daughter has used the 120 fusion on a few deer and an elk. It has worked well for her so far.

Comment

• ptarmigan
            Unwashed
            • Mar 2019

Thanks! I was pretty happy with it. The only issue I had was with my mags, I think. Quite a few times I had a failure to feed, as in the bolt would skip right over the round. It would even happen when loading in the first round if I just used the bolt release instead of pulling back on the charging handle. The mags I have are ASC SS 10rd.

Comment

• MaineAR
              Warrior
              • Sep 2018

Sounds like it could be a tad undergassed, giving just enough gas to eject the spent brass but not enough to completely cycle the BCG. You may have to tinker with the adjustable gas block to find the sweet spot there.

Comment

• ptarmigan
                Unwashed
                • Mar 2019

Originally posted by MaineAR View Post
                Sounds like it could be a tad undergassed, giving just enough gas to eject the spent brass but not enough to completely cycle the BCG. You may have to tinker with the adjustable gas block to find the sweet spot there.

I'm not sure if it's undergassed. The cases are pretty dented from the brass deflector and the bolt always locks back after the last round. It just seems like the ammo isn't high enough in the mag sometimes for the bolt to pick it up. I'll tinker with it. BTW, I'm a Mainiac as well, transplanted in AK now.

Comment

• MaineAR
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2018

Lol. Im in the Maineiacs!! I’m from Seattle originally. I want to wind up in AK! I’ll live vicariously through you!!!

The feed lips may need to be tweaked as well to allow it to feed better.

Comment

• ptarmigan
                    Unwashed
                    • Mar 2019

Originally posted by MaineAR View Post
                    Lol. Im in the Maineiacs!! I’m from Seattle originally. I want to wind up in AK! I’ll live vicariously through you!!!

The feed lips may need to be tweaked as well to allow it to feed better.

Thanks for the tip. Ya everywhere you go you see those damn stickers! Haha I love it! My buddy is a retired boomer and said you couldn't go anywhere in the world without seeing a Maineiac sticker at a bar or bathroom!

Comment

• MaineAR
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2018

It’s true. Everywhere I’ve been around the world while I was in the Army, I saw those stickers.

Comment

• gwtx
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2019

Check the front edge of the mag to see that the bullets are not "catching" on the lip. Some mags need to have that front edge filed or dremel'd down a wee bit. My C-products was ok, but the elander needed to be "helped". There are a number of videos and google posts on the subject.
                        When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.

Comment

• ptarmigan
                          Unwashed
                          • Mar 2019

Originally posted by gwtx View Post
                          Check the front edge of the mag to see that the bullets are not "catching" on the lip. Some mags need to have that front edge filed or dremel'd down a wee bit. My C-products was ok, but the elander needed to be "helped". There are a number of videos and google posts on the subject.
                          Would that make the bolt skip over the round or just stop it from moving forward? I'll definitely be checking that out the next time I shoot it.

Comment

Working...
                          X