• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeepster18_88
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by centerfire View Post
    No it isn't. 5.56 Wolf runs significantly slower than M193. This isn't the Twilight Zone, Wolf has been the bottom rung of the ammo world since forever.
    This is exactly what I mean by "blanket statement"! You take one load and apply it across the entire brand even after I pointed out that it isn't accurate as far as the 7.62x39 loads. Bottom rung? Yes, I think we can all agree on that and the price reflects that. Some cartridges don't offer much savings while others offer a considerable savings. The biggest problem that I've seen is the harder primers causing issues, but that's the gun, not the ammos fault. It definitely isn't going to be anyone's first choice, but imo, it's not junk. It's been far more reliable than Remington 22lr Golden Bullet for instance. That doesn't mean that I believe it's better than ALL Remington ammo, just a particular load from a particular big name manufacturer. If you don't want to use it, DON'T! But there's no reason to say that the brand is underpowered, when it's not in every load, that it's junk, when it's not in every gun, or that it's steel cased, when they also offer brass in many loadings. All off those are blanket statements and all of them are incorrect in certain loads.

Do I use it very often? No because there are better offerings in every caliber. Do I buy it? Yes, for every caliber AR that I have I buy at least 500 rounds and use it as to test function and when I introduce new people to the AR platform so that they can fire away as long as they want without costing me a fortune. BTW, in my 2 Grendels, Wolf accuracy has shown to shoot 1/4th or smaller of the group size of Hornady SST factory load. Not bad for underpowered steel cased junk.

Comment

• Cereal Thriller
      Bloodstained
      • Feb 2019

How far are you shooting and does accuracy count? If you are punching holes in paper at 50 feet than sure, shoot it all day and for a 1/3 price less than other ammo.

Shooting isn't a cheap hobby even with cheap ammo. Seen the steel ammo spray and pray groupings too many times. Don't need that negativity in my life, dang sure know that wolf, tul-ammo or brown bear won't scratch the paint of any of the steel gongs I set up to ring. Probably be lucky they make it that far with their light powder charges.

Comment

• Glockpride
        Warrior
        • Sep 2018

Originally posted by js8588 View Post
        You should have at least one 556 AR. Much as I prefer the Grendel, get a 556 squared away.
        This here. I think you should have at least one or two 5.56 rifles. When you run out into the road when SHTF, most of your friends/family/neighbors are going to be bringing 5.56. Having commonality might be a good thing.

Comment

• Randy99CL
          Warrior
          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Glockpride View Post
          I think you should have at least one or two 5.56 rifles. When you run out into the road when SHTF, most of your friends/family/neighbors are going to be bringing 5.56. Having commonality might be a good thing.
          Since it won't cost much to grab some cheap 223 parts and build a plinker I'd do it. Throw a cheap red-dot on it and the whole family will enjoy shooting it.

I have no interest in steel case-or-core crap import ammo and won't ever shoot any in my guns. In 223 there are a few sources for good US made brass-cased rounds for 33 cents each, only a little more than import. Malwart has Federal 223 FMJ 100 round value packs for about $33. Frontier Cartridge (in association with Hornady) has a few different loads that start at 33c/round. I want to try their soft point and match bullets. All this brass is reloadable and almost the same price as empty brass.
          Last edited by Randy99CL; 04-13-2019, 03:26 AM.
          "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• Chipj4
            Bloodstained
            • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
            Since it won't cost much to grab some cheap 223 parts and build a plinker I'd do it. Throw a cheap red-dot on it and the whole family will enjoy shooting it.

I have no interest in steel case-or-core crap import ammo and won't ever shoot any in my guns. In 223 there are a few sources for good US made brass-cased rounds for 33 cents each, only a little more than import. Malwart has Federal 223 FMJ 100 round value packs for about $33. Frontier Cartridge (in association with Hornady) has a few different loads that start at 33c/round. I want to try their soft point and match bullets. All this brass is reloadable and almost the same price as empty brass.
            https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLo...ItemsPerPage=0
            I believe the Frontier ammo brass is made by Lake City which holds up well for reloads.

Comment

• roo_ster
              Bloodstained
              • Nov 2016

Originally posted by js8588 View Post
              You should have at least one 556 AR. Much as I prefer the Grendel, get a 556 squared away.
              Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
              Originally posted by Glockpride View Post
              This here. I think you should have at least one or two 5.56 rifles. When you run out into the road when SHTF, most of your friends/family/neighbors are going to be bringing 5.56. Having commonality might be a good thing.

Cheap enough? $279

They have been building the upper the last 11 days.

I have also have
              0. Lowers I bought some years back.
              1. A polished mil-spec trigger & bits from a previous build where I decided to go with the Larue MBT-2S trigger instead.
              2. An older and heavier carbine-length picatinny quad rail mount I got as a sweetener on a deal a few years back.
              3. Same thing with a rear BUIS.

I will have to pick up some magazines and a sling. Will wait on a red dot.

Commonality WRT SHTF is a plus.
              Regards,

roo_ster

"Drive Nature out with a pitchfork, she'll come right back, Victorious over your ignorant confident scorn."
              ----Horace

Comment

• Glockpride
                Warrior
                • Sep 2018

Rooster,
                That’s a decent one. Throw a carry handle or red dot or lpvo and you’re good to go. Believe it or not, the PSA triggers ain’t bad. They aren’t world class, but the ones I’ve had are very serviceable/clean/consistent and I’m kind of a trigger snob.

I’d also not discount the 10.5” pistols either as they are much easier to work through doorways and vehicles.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2019

Just my opinion, but when it comes to .223 kits, I do agree PSA is an excellent choice. Staggeringly good deals Regarding on spec, I tend to prefer the middy gas-system, for the softer recoil and tend to be more reliable. I also like the aesthetics a little better, but that's individually subjective of course.

So for the same price, you can get this kit if you want to go basic/classic and bottom dollar, but still a solid life-long investment kit:

For $279... that's just mind-boggling incredible of a price.

For just a little more, you can get this one, which overall I like better, and it's only $20 more. This is my recommendation:

5165452532.jpg

-Free floated barrel due to the different handguard (more accurate)
                  -Stainless barrel, for a little easier cleaning and care, and arguably stainless barrels tend to be easier to cut in a way to be a little more accurate (all else being equal, which it rarely is).
                  -More modern handguard, which is a little better for attachments, and also has QD mounts integrated into it and the stock, which is nice.

As others mention, you can also got the 10.5 pistol kits, which are a lot of fun, but for your first general purpose .223, I suggest starting with a basic 16".
                  Last edited by lazyengineer; 04-14-2019, 02:25 AM.
                  4x P100

Comment

• Glockpride
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2018

LazyE,
                    Those are good suggestions and solid choices. Good food for thought.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                      Chieftain
                      • Feb 2019

I had chance to shoot a PSA 1/8 SS 16" BBL once, and have to say, I felt like it was the most accurate PSA barrel I ever shot (at the time at least). Neat to see it back in the line-up, I had thought they had dropped it. FWIW (and there is much internet debate and purse-swinging), , I consider 1/8 the best general-purpose twist you can get in .223. It will shoot anything from 35 gr varmint loads up to MK262 77 gr heavies all very well. With (arguably) a more optimized twist for 55-62 gr; which matters less in practice than in theory, but anyhooo, if it's offered - why not get it?
                      4x P100

Comment

Working...
                      X