• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 98Z
    Warrior
    • Jan 2018

Originally posted by FANGGHOSTWOLF View Post
    To make this simple, the Rifle length fixed stock buffer? Will my rifle function correct with the 24" barrel. I'm yet to shoot it to after the install to know? This was an AR Stoner tube,SS Spring and buffer. No weight mentioned. 5.15 oz is what I am assuming is the weight. I'll have to weigh it I guess.
    Am I correct that the A2 fixed stock tube being longer takes more weight on the buffer?
    First part - Yes. Rifle recoil system will be fine on your build.

Second part - No - I think. I'm not sure what you're asking. A2 over A1, for rifle recoil system? Zero difference in operation, at all, and the receiver extension has an internal depth of 9 11/16". The AR15 rifle buffer is still 5.900" long and weighs 5.2oz. The buffer spring is the exact same. The AR15 rifle receiver extension (buffer tube) is exactly the same. The only difference between A1 and A2 is that the A2 stock is 5/8" longer than the A1 stock - which requires two more additional parts. To convert an A1 to an A2, you need that longer A2 buttstock, of course, but you also need a 5/8" spacer that goes on the end of the receiver extension (before you put the stock on), and the vented screw that holds the buttstock on is 5/8" longer than the A1 screw...

A1 and A2 recoil systems are completely identical. What it takes to mount the longer A2 buttstock on there is what's different.

Your AR15 rifle buffer is 5.2oz, unless it's something custom. That's the standard weight. Aftermarket companies don't typically screw up the rifle recoil system, in either AR15 or .308AR pattern - that's pretty much golden, with rifle recoil systems in either platform. Aftermarket companies don't usually screw up AR15 Carbine buffers - they have a path to follow. The commonly screw up the AR15 carbine buffer springs, and just make what they want. They also commonly screw up the AR15 carbine receiver extensions. Those should be solid, you'd think, but it's FAR from that. I've purchased "mil-spec" receiver extensions from companies before that are all over the place on internal depth - that should always be 7.000" internal depth,for an AR15 carbine receiver extension. I had one at 7.100"internal depth,and it caused problems on a .308 build. I've had one at 6.900" internal - junk. Should be easy for companies, but it's not. Buy those parts from reputable manufacturers...

.308AR carbine recoil systems are a joke, and everyone makes a copy (their own version) of a DPMS-based system - crap. I went to the Armalite AR-10 Carbine system a long time ago, because of that weird receiver extension listed above. There's one manufacturer, they make all they parts the same way, and the original design came from them - they don't screw that up. It consistently works.

Comment

• OpFor1
      Warrior
      • Jan 2019

OK, edjumacate me.
      What about the 308AR recoil systems are a joke? I own about 4 or so AR308 variants and they all seem to work fine, or is there some other detail that I am blissfully ignorant of?
      And I am sincerely asking.... if you have something to teach, I want to learn.

Comment

• FANGGHOSTWOLF
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2019

Many thanks 98Z! I am here to learn what I can. I learn fast and I am bad about second guessing myself. I may ask question on things I might know but clarity is assuring. I'm not here to teach and might share some stupid things as I walk the grendel adventure. Probable more mistakes than good.
        THANKS AGAIN!!

Comment

• OpFor1
          Warrior
          • Jan 2019

Originally posted by FANGGHOSTWOLF View Post
          Many thanks 98Z! I am here to learn what I can. I learn fast and I am bad about second guessing myself. I may ask question on things I might know but clarity is assuring. I'm not here to teach and might share some stupid things as I walk the grendel adventure. Probable more mistakes than good.
          THANKS AGAIN!!
          LOL. You are like me... I can tell you what NOT to do, but that is about all I know.

Comment

• FANGGHOSTWOLF
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2019

Originally posted by OpFor1 View Post
            LOL. You are like me... I can tell you what NOT to do, but that is about all I know.
            Well I'm use to sharing all good and bad. But my sharing is on another type gun and on my forum.

I got a change with the weather to test out all the little things I have been able to do this morning. I'm going to.post that on my CHEAPED OUT thread.
            But as to the fixed stock, love it. The gun functioned flawless. Lop and eye to scope was spot on.

Comment

Working...
            X