• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phalanx
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2018

6.5 grendel ak barrels

6.5 grendel seems like an easy option for the ak platform, yet no one produces a barrel for it. What gives?
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Only commercial AK Variant is the VEPR which is limited to ten round factory magazine. A few people were able to get modified Tapco 7.62x39 mags to feed in the VEPR 6.5 Grendel. If Zastava imports a semi auto version of the M-17 6.5 Grendel you might see manufacturers introduce 6.5 Grendel barrels. Zastava has developed a polymer high capacity 6.5 Grendel mag for the M-17 which features a quick change barrel to an AK variant (7.62x39 to 6.5 Grendel). Zastava is developing the M-17 in cooperation with the Serbian Defense Forces.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 02-09-2019, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• 6.5Geo
      Unwashed
      • Jan 2017

A guy on AKfiles sells 6.5 Grendel barrels for $120. They are made by Green Mountain I believe.

Here is the link;

Live free or die trying!

Comment

• Wanderson
        Warrior
        • Oct 2018

Palmetto State Armory has also teased an upcoming 6.5 Grendel AK after they release their 5.56 AK variant.

Personally based on PSA’s current AK quality I’d lean towards Zastava but PSA has made improvements over the years. And will probably be a good source for mags. Their 9mm AK mags run great in my CZ Evo.

Comment

• CaptnC
          Warrior
          • May 2018

I just sold my last Romy AK kit with original barrel along with all my build tools to finance my 20" Grendel build...would have been a cool build!

I need to log in over there and see if the AK-74 mags would work...I think I still have a couple that were missed when I sold mine.

Thanks for the link...that was pretty interesting!

Comment

• maxxmojo
            Bloodstained
            • Jul 2016

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
            Only commercial AK Variant is the VEPR which is limited to ten round factory magazine. A few people were able to get modified Tapco 7.62x39 mags to feed in the VEPR 6.5 Grendel. If Zastava imports a semi auto version of the M-17 6.5 Grendel you might see manufacturers introduce 6.5 Grendel barrels. Zastava has developed a polymer high capacity 6.5 Grendel mag for the M-17 which features a quick change barrel to an AK variant (7.62x39 to 6.5 Grendel). Zastava is developing the M-17 in cooperation with the Serbian Defense Forces.
            Csspecs is currently developing some Grendel Vepr mags. Don't recall an ETA when they'll be finished but so far as I can tell it's the current project they're working on.

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

I’ve been following the VEPR thread on one of the AK Forums and Cssspecs says they are close to producing the VEPR 6.5 Grendel mags. Csspecs has been saying this for about two years so we’ll just have to wait and see.

I follow a couple AK forums and I haven’t seen where anyone has success using 5.45x39 with 6.5/Grendel cartridges. Some people report they’ll work with a few rounds but are not reliable at close to capacity.

The PSA AK in 6.5 Grendel uses a mag well to accept AR-15 mags. The PSA with AR-15 pattern mags would be fine with me and might be an affordable rifle.

Comment

• Wanderson
                Warrior
                • Oct 2018

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                The PSA AK in 6.5 Grendel uses a mag well to accept AR-15 mags. The PSA with AR-15 pattern mags would be fine with me and might be an affordable rifle.
                I had not heard that, that’s a big plus in my book, and makes sense to use existing mags. Although some won’t consider any AK that doesn’t take a rock n lock mag. PSA is also rolling out a nice AK braced pistol in 7.62x39 for $700 so a 6.5g AK pistol may one day be a possibility too.

Comment

• Kilco
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2016

I own a Vepr in Grendel and its a blast.

big problem is magazines. Grendel specific mags use an entirely different receiver cutout than the other X39s, and we only have 10 rounders available.. that are expensive..

I had to make my own 5 rounder since in Maine we can only have 5 round mags to hunt with. Tried modifying a couple 30 round X39 mags for Grendel but they never functioned smoothly.

It always frustrated me, because personally ive always liked AKs more than ARs. I mean I LIKE them both, but I really love a sweet running combloc AK above almost every other firearm..

Someday... They will have more mags or more R&D in Grendel AKs.

Comment

• Phalanx
                    Unwashed
                    • Apr 2018

The other issue is the bullet guide. On veprs it's part of the mag. On aks it's part of the trunnion. So, that has to be addressed as well.

I'm just building a 6.5 grendel ak47. No bullet guide issue, and stock mags work up to 20 rounds.

Comment

Working...
                    X