• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LordBlackout
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2019

First AR, I want a Grendel

Hello,
    I have been dreaming of owning an AR 15 for years, and now that I live in USA, I wanna finally do it!
    I need advice to make an affordable, yet reliable and possibly mil spec build.
    I would like an all around rifle, lightweight and with a 16 max 18 inch barrell.
    I am leaning toward Aero Precision, how their Grendel upper is?
    Ideally I wouldn't like to spend more than 750, since I am going to buy a scope too.
    Thanks in advance to whoever responds,
    Good evening,
    LB
  • BCHunter
    Warrior
    • Jan 2018

Welcome, light weight is a relative term,

The 6 ar's between myself and my brother, for reference, with optics.
    12.7" group buy grendel 7.34 lbs
    16" ballistic advantage hanson grendel 7.98 lbs
    18" RRA ATH BULL .223 8.25LBS
    18" ballistic advantage hanson 223 9.28 lbs
    18" Odin works bull 6.5 9.52 lbs
    20"RRA HBAR .223 10.51 LBS

My experience is barrel profile and optics choice is were most weight will be gained or lost .

Oh and 4 out of 6 have aero precision upper, lowers and handguard. So I would recommend but I may be biased.

Comment

• Drillboss
      Warrior
      • Jan 2015

What do you want to do with the rifle?

I just spent ones of minutes on Aero's site but didn't see any Grendel complete uppers. Looks like you want to buy an upper as opposed to building your own. I've got no complaints with the 16" barrel I bought from Alexander Arms. Looks like they have some uppers that meet your price point. https://www.shopalexanderarms.com/6_...el-Uppers.html

Best of luck with your choice and welcome to the forum.

Comment

• Rangerofthenorth
        Warrior
        • Dec 2018

Granite Ridge Outfitters has Aero Precision 18" Grendel uppers in stock in black for $519 and fde for $539.They come with the lightweight hand-friendly s-one handguard which I have multiples of!

Comment

• Texas
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum LordBlackout. Where do you hail from?

Comment

• LordBlackout
            Unwashed
            • Jan 2019

Thanks to everybody for the replies.
            I am from Italy.
            So, I know the perfect do-it-all gun doesn't exist, but I am trying to get close to it.
            Would be awesome to have a rifle small enough to clear a building, but capable of reaching targets precisely at medium distance (500 yards?) and easy to carry.
            I will be probably using it at the range most of the time and for home defense, but I might hunt too.
            I am pretty crafty but still a little bit intimidated about the idea of building an AR from scratch, so I was thinking about buying partially assembled parts since it is my first gun.

Comment

• Londerko
              Warrior
              • Apr 2018

I got a complete Aero Precision upper assembly for under $500 with BCG (barrel is made by Ballistic Advantage) and it shoots lights out. I would buy on again
              The Larue uppers/build kits are supposed to be super nice too. Just a little more $

Comment

• Lastrites
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

The Larue upper kit's are a solid deal if you are building from the ground up and can use the other parts that come with the kit.

Comment

Working...
                X