Clear All
  • Dempsy1
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2018

Devils advocate

• Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Okay, I have to ask about #1, meaning you can carry more ammo. I gotta know, just what are the circumstances which you have a problem carrying a sufficient amount of ammo that the size and weight difference of Grendel makes less attractive. I am having trouble fathoming the civilian circumstances where this is a significant factor.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

Your hypothetical is like asking for reasons why you need fewer tools for your tool box. Figure out your real needs and purpose and pick the tools for the job. Simple!

Comment

• depletedyourcranium
        Warrior
        • Nov 2017

I would add lower recoil, flatter shooting out to 500 yards (with more wind drift), and probably more longevity in the life of the bolt (though I think this is mostly alleviated with the actual .136 depth bolts.)

Counterpoints to your lists:

1: Ammo weight does not realistically matter. In some apocalypse fantasy where you're trudging through the wasteland avoiding plague ridden survivors, sure, lighter ammo might be useful. In any conceivable conventional use, hunting, plinking, self defense, ammo weight is not going to make any difference. And if you're in the military you dont get to pick your gun much less your caliber, so that's a moot point.

2: Sure, more mags. Better mags? I don't know. I've never had any issues with the elanders I have. There will never be true polymer mags in normal capacity for size like PMAGs for the 6.5 in a regular AR15. To me it's an inconvenience but not a dealbreaker.

3: Unless it is adopted by a huge military force, 6.5 Grr will never be as cheap as 5.56. However, theres no reason it cant be as cheap as what we're currently seeing with .300 Blk (about 40 cents per round). I would be surprised if we don't see cheap FMJ brass cased offerings from all the big 3 ammo makers in the next 5 years. And theres always Wolf steel case, its definitely not gross.

Comment

• imaguy3
          Warrior
          • Mar 2018

I still like my 5.56 if I know shots will be under 200, or I don't want to do as much damage to the animal (like for jackrabbit hunting), or smaller predators like fox/bobcat where I may want to save the pelt. Plus it's fun and cheap to plink with the 5.56.

Comment

• CWOZ
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2018

I figure If I have to worry about how much ammo I can pack, I might as well stay home and be invaded comfortably.

I think as the cartridge grows, other companies will get on the ammo and mag band wagon. D&H came out with a Grendel mag recently and the one I have works fine.

Ammo availability is a problem locally, but ammo is a click away and delivered to your door. With the exception of steel case Wolf, Grendel ammo seems to be primarily aimed at match or hunting, so in my mind, much higher quality than FMJ blasting ammo, so it costs more.

CWOZ

Comment

• RMiller
              Warrior
              • Mar 2018

For when your son wants to mag dump a a couple hundred rounds. That is when I really like my 556.

Comment

• Dempsy1
                Bloodstained
                • Oct 2018

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                Okay, I have to ask about #1, meaning you can carry more ammo. I gotta know, just what are the circumstances which you have a problem carrying a sufficient amount of ammo that the size and weight difference of Grendel makes less attractive. I am having trouble fathoming the civilian circumstances where this is a significant factor.

Comment

• worthen86ford
                  Warrior
                  • May 2016

Comment

• Wanderson
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2018

Most plentiful ammo & biggest variety. 5.56 ARs run from the cheapest to the top tier.
                    Best mag selection. Want 60 or 100 rnd drums? 5.56
                    Pencil profile barrels. My 5.56 upper is a lightweight 14.5” mid length, so it’s the lightest & softest shooter in my collection.

In ARs I shoot 5.56, 9mm, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, .300bo and now 6.5 Grendel. Once I burn thru my stack of surplus 5.45x39 I’ll probably retire that upper since 7n6 isn’t imported anymore. Anything imported is subject to political changes. A panic buy might jump the price of 5.56 or 9mm but it’s also gonna come back.

Only things 5.56 don’t do well is take down a deer or a hog or perform ‘optimally’ thru short barrels. 7.62x39, .300bo & Grendel do those much better.

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by montana View Post
                      Your hypothetical is like asking for reasons why you need fewer tools for your tool box. Figure out your real needs and purpose and pick the tools for the job. Simple!
                      Genius, montana. You always get directly to the issue at hand. I need a bigger tool box.

Comment

• Sixoeight
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2018

In today's real world (not SHTF wasteland world) I don't personally have a single use for 5.56 except plinking. And frankly that is the only excuse I need to keep it around!

But if I am hunting with an AR it will be grendel. Grendel does everything 5.56 does and then some.

Comment

• Dempsy1
                          Bloodstained
                          • Oct 2018

Comment

• NugginFutz
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

It's like this, Dempsy1:

You ask a hypothetical question without any qualifications or criteria. Yes, you later added a need for long matches and a training course, but never mentioned if that will be your rifle's main job.

Re #1: I don't know which training course you have in mind, but the few I've taken did not require me to carry my entire load out between each stage over the multiple days of training. I only needed what could fit on my chest rig for any one stage, and even that was more than adequate. As such, it didn't matter which stack of 800 rounds weighed the most.

Having said that, I used my 5.56 for the run 'n gun or high volume scenarios. My 6.5 took center stage for all the DM portions where accuracy and distance mattered. (Yes, I took both to the courses.) The 6.5 also made confirmation of hits on steel much easier. My 5.56 became more difficult to shoot/see/hear past 400 or so (especially with canyon winds playing with the lighter shots).

As for what the rifle will be doing after training and matches; If the answer is "living in the safe", then it's quite simple. Buy/Build a weapon for those (and only those) uses. Select one with a steady supply of ammunition capable of meeting MPF and with reasonable accuracy. Ballistics, long range capability, and all the other Grendel selling points probably no longer matter.

Your best option, as you alluded to, may well be to get and use both. It worked for me.
                            Last edited by NugginFutz; 01-01-2019, 03:48 PM.
                            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• TomSawyerNW
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                              Genius, montana. You always get directly to the issue at hand. I need a bigger tool box.
                              More tools, the better!
                              If the Democrats had been in power when this country was founded, we'd be the British.

Comment

Working...
                              X