12.7" GB build, 6/6 at 600 with a red dot and WOLF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

12.7" GB build, 6/6 at 600 with a red dot and WOLF?

Who says Wolf 6.5 isn't worthy? Please tell me why again?

I don't think I'll ever consider pulling another steel bullet.

Not that the Moscow Match idea didn't have merit, but well, why?

Either my Faxon 12.7" barrel is a truly sick stick, or I got lucky.

I had 15 rounds with me, left over in an old mag that I found in between the seats of a car I traded in when I cleaned it out (no comment)...

I could hit cans off the fence at 100 without effort. The final 10 rounds went downrange; for the fun I started at 400, holding a guess of about 6" over the 60IPSC plate's head. Ding. Then, after come trial and error, wound up 6/6 on the 600 holding what I thought was 12" over. I was using my Aimpoint PRO, so there was no magnification to be had; and it was end of the session, so no grouping data. But the steel did ring, so... This little "test" ruined my night by making these 15 rounds of 24 cent ammo the best fun of the entire day.

Take this anecdote for what it's worth, because I can't give any real data. I didn't chrono any of them, and didn't intend to measure anything as far as real performance from the start. This will change. I am hoping to be going this week to my new range where I can reach out further, and will be taking some of this with me. I will also be swapping my LRTSi 4.5-18 onto this little whipper snapper and having some long range group testing fun.

Shooting was unsuppressed and wind was nil. 56 degrees, waning sunlight at my left. Holdover values were purely guestimations, as I had no velocity data, and was just an educated guess from the earlier BLACK and handload shootings.

I was of course alone, so there are no witnesses. Shame, because it made me feel like a hero...
    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.
  • Redomen
    Warrior
    • Jun 2016

Nice!

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

Amazing stuff. What a cartridge!
      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• murfvol
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2016

Fantastic! Out of curiosity, what was delta between ELD and Wolf? The Wolf has been terrific out of a 20" and an 18", but seems to drop ~5" more at 200 yards than SSTs from the same barrels.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
          Chieftain
          • Oct 2016

I'd be lying if I posted anything posing as data. I haven't ever done the testing to answer your questions, though if I was to give you my best answer, the wolf definitely seems to have more drop. Once I figured out the drop, it was easy - just like the Black has been. 5" more than ELD at 200? Sounds like something isn't right. I was seeing about 14" at 400, 20ish at 600, from my pistol. I'm hoping to go out tomorrow with some more to see what I can get data wise.
          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• depletedyourcranium
            Warrior
            • Nov 2017

Unless you rezeroed your rifle the difference could simply be a POI shift plus the drop. In .223 I've had Wolf seriously shift my POI down several inches at 50 yards in some rifles. It's not that the round was actually experiencing inches more drop at that range, just a different load creating different harmonics. If I were to rezero for that load it would look like anything else down range. But if I didn't and stepped it out a couple hundred yards, it would appear to drop increasingly more as the zero from my brass cased copper jacketed ammo diverged.

Comment

Working...
            X