PSA 18" Rifle-Length 6.5 Grendel 1:8 Stainless Steel 15" Lightweight Opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaybee1669
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2018

If you're just looking for a maximum velocity bench gun for 800+yds then hold out for the 20". Anything else and the 18" is fine and better in applications where you may be carrying the rifle in the woods.

Comment

• SDW
      Warrior
      • Jul 2018

Originally posted by Sturmgewehr View Post
      The various SS alloys have varying degrees of rust resistance.
      316 is very rust resistant. 304 is cheaper but will spot and rust slowly in a normal outdoor environment.
      409 used in factory automotive exhaust will rust a lot quicker but still make the required longevity for warranty. And is cheaper than 304.
      I haven't looked at 410 to 416 since it's not used in my industry or other hobbies.

I grew up in the desert so my rust prevention habits are very poor since it was almost a none problem in my youth.
      I've had no issues with my 3 yr old SS 92FS with very little maintenance that's "indoors" most of the time but not sealed up or anything.
      Takes me back to my first job, working for a Gov't contractor in the textiles industry (think backpacks and missile slings). In many cases the specs called for hardware made from "304 CRES". CRES being their abbreviation for Corrosion Resistant Steel.

Comment

• SDW
        Warrior
        • Jul 2018

My one Grendel build is a 20" BA DMR profile barrel. I opted for no adjustable gas and no brake or anything like that. So mine's no longer overall than most 18s. On my first trip out to the desert with it I was hitting an 18" x 18" plate from a 1000 yds, consistently, using 123gr Hornady Black. I couldn't believe it. Might I have done it with an 18" barrel? I dunno. Maybe. But I'm glad I got a 20". Tells me that if I can hit at 1000 that easily, I can probably do it a little farther out as well. With extra luck.

Comment

• Fla_dogman
          Unwashed
          • Nov 2018

Shot my new 18" Grendel from PSA today. The more I shot it the tighter the groups became. My intended use is for coyotes and hogs out to 300yds. For the money it's a great deal. I'm very pleased with it and is it super light.

Comment

• LOTO
            Unwashed
            • Nov 2018

I was getting ready to pull the plug on a PSA upper but I received an email from Bear Creek yesterday morning and the 20" uppers were back in stock and I ordered one. I've read a lot of good and a lot of bad on Bear Creek but have got to say that I must have hit them at a good time because 30 minutes after my order a tracking number was created, UPS picked up package shortly after, and my Grendel is currently in transit and scheduled to be delivered on Monday.

BCG and CH are included

BCA AR-15 Complete Upper Assembly: 20" 416R Stainless Steel Heavy Barrel, 6.5 Grendel Type II, 1:8 twist w/ 15" MLOK
            UA6.5RHB2018(SS)-(15)MLOK
            $229.99
            Ordered: 1
            Shipped: 1

$229.99

Comment

• Bronsonburner
              Warrior
              • Dec 2018

Waiting on mine to ship. I hope it’ll be at least as accurate as my FN made CHF barrel I bought from them a while back. That thing is scary accurate with handloads.

Comment

• biodsl
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2011

Kotaboy32 just tested a PSA 18" Grendel. He's pretty enthusiastic about it.

Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Bronsonburner
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2018

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                  Kotaboy32 just tested a PSA 18" Grendel. He's pretty enthusiastic about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvpKc3dq0nY

My 18 inch PSA is coming in today. Good to see that video and I hope mine can do as well.

Comment

• Bronsonburner
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2018

Just took delivery last night. Seems to be well put together. I noticed there was plenty of white grease showing around the barrel nut (I guess it's a good thing). Also noticed there were several brass marks on the deflector which tells me they definitely test fired it. Probably setting the gas block adjustment. They way the screws are arranged it should be easy to tweak with my allen drivers if needed. Fit on my poverty pony lower (with a Geissele SSA trigger and Magpul UBR lol) was tighter than any of my other uppers. So far so good and I can't wait to get it out to the range. I haven't been this fired up about a new caliber in a long time. Wonder why it took me so long to notice the Grendel?

Comment

• AZHTfreak
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by WSAR15 View Post
                      Has anyone tried the PSA 18" Rifle-Length 6.5 Grendel 1:8 Stainless Steel 15" Lightweight M-Lok Upper? They are well proces at $319
                      How do their barrels shoot?
                      Would you recommend them?
                      Any body elese to recommend?
                      Thanks
                      Late to the thread, I'm no LT fanboy, Mark LaRue - love him or hate him, but I've been around long enough to recognize a smokin deal and painfully understand buy once, cry once. Skip the PSA upper. Cough up the coin and grab a Larue 18" assembled/test fired for $0 (through 12/26) Ultimate Upper Grendel. $891 FDE, $792 BLK. Then add a matching stripped billet lower for $200. $992 for a complete LT Grendel? Absolute no brainer. I'd bet $1.76 you'll have more than that into the PSA - options creep - by the time you get it where you want it. Jus my $0.02...
                      Last edited by AZHTfreak; 12-23-2018, 01:55 AM.
                      DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...

Comment

• Bronsonburner
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2018

OK here's the deal with mine. Got it to the range last Sunday and put 130 mixed factory/handloads through it. My best results came with Hornady Black 123 grain ELDM. They put all shots into a little less than two inches at 100 yards Also tried some handloaded ELDM bullets with CFE .223. Best group came in at about 1.75 with velocities near 2500 FPS on the top end. Kinda disappointing but wait for the rest. After getting home I was bothered by the difficulty I was having with the ten-round Cproducts mags. VERY difficult to insert and almost impossible to remove. Then I swapped out the upper on two of my other lowers and they worked normally. Ahha! Out of spec lower (or so I thought). Went to Academy the next day and bought a new stripped Ruger lower along with a LPK. Put it all together and tried a mag. Crap! No better than before. Decided to take a real close look at the upper and found that the front end where the mag seats seemed a little too thick. I hated to do it but I broke out the needle files and removed a tiny bit of metal in the corners. All mags seem to work normally now and it seems to feed smoother. I was having double feeds and bolt-over jams with the CP mags at the range. Also looking at the scope mount (ADM Recon) I noticed I had installed it with the front clamp over one of the anti-rotation tabs for the handguard and it was loose as a goose. Duh. Moved the scope back one notch and all is well. I feel once I get my stuff straight it will probably be a good shooter lol. Got another batch of handloads finished up with SMK's and Nosler ABLR using both TAC and CFE 223. Probably hit the range Sunday. Sorry for the long post...

Comment

• WesM
                          Unwashed
                          • Dec 2018

Hey guys, first post here. I ordered a PSA 18" 6.5 Grendel upper with lightweight M-LOK handguard over Thanksgiving week. Received it in about 2 weeks, took it to the range and zeroed it, and it has been in the deer stand with me several times since. At the range, after 12 or so rounds of ammo, I was zeroed in 2" high at 100 yds shooting about 1 MOA. This past week, I took a doe with it for the Grendel's first blood.

I mounted the upper on a Spikes Tactical lower and lockup is good. I have a Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42 scope in a Larue CAN LT-204 mount on top of the upper. I am looking forward to lots of hunting with this rifle going forward. Very happy with this product from Palmetto State for the price I paid. Only thing going forward is I'm looking for some rail covers to put on the sides of the rail, and a sling attachment for the handguard so I can use a traditional 2-point sling.

Comment

Working...
                          X