• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RMiller
    Warrior
    • Mar 2018

Drop in forearm vs. free float

Have you found a big difference in accuracy between using a free float hand guard or a drop in style?

I am looking at putting together a hunting 6.5 Grendel MSR and have been using a couple different configurations in other calibers as well.

I am looking at putting together an upper with a 20" rifle length gas system and a Magpul drop in forearm.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Be interesting to hear some info on this. I have always used free float handguards but have always wondered how much it would effect groups to put a magpul type handguard on one.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

If we're talking about non free-floating handguards in 2018, it should probably be contained to a collector's discussion and not a practical rifle we're using for target or hunting.

Yes, you will see significant deviation in POI due to input on the handguard.

When I shoot an AR15 that has old handguards and I'm wanting as much consistency and POI=POA, I'll use the magazine as a monopod.

You would not believe the groups I shot with this Dutch AR10 at 150m in Finland one summer. Absolutely the most accurate battle rifle I've ever fired. Notice how I'm not letting anything touch the guards.

Last edited by LRRPF52; 12-05-2018, 07:47 PM.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Aside of military rifles--always go with the free float handguards.

Comment

• NeilVT79
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2018

RMiller, drop-in handguards are great for hunting!

They are almost always lighter than free float handgaurds.

If you're hunting in a cold climate (like I do) you'll be thankful you dont have a freezing cold aluminum handguard you have to grab all day. Even with gloves on.

The accuracy difference is minor. I can easily shoot clays at 200 yards and thats enough for me to feel confident in a hunting gun.

It also looks cool, and in the end, isn't that all that really matters?

20181124_085936 (1024x768).jpg 20181117_115609 (1024x768).jpg

Comment

• RMiller
              Warrior
              • Mar 2018

I might use my 25-45 Sharps for a test subject.

It shoots great to 300 yards and I have already taken deer with it.

It has been user friendly from the word go.

But that aluminum forearm does get cold on snowy days.

I will have to try the unipod technique myself.
              Last edited by RMiller; 12-02-2018, 01:51 AM.

Comment

• imaguy3
                Warrior
                • Mar 2018

Originally posted by RMiller View Post
                I might use my 25-45 Sharps for a test subject.

It shoots great to 300 yards and I have already taken deer with it.

It has been user friendly from the word go.

But that aluminum forearm does get cold on snowy days.

I will have to try the unipod technique myself.
                I got some inexpensive polymer panels from bcm which make the handguard quite comfortable in cold weather. G10 panels are on my other gun (before I found the BCM ones) and they have a nice wood like feel in the cold, but also pricey.

On my 223 rifle, before I free floated the handguard, I had a magpul MOE. On the moe I had a rail piece with a sitting height bipod attached to it. I zeroed the gun over a sandbag at 200 yards and it shot great. I added the bipod and shoot at 200, my groups were about 8" high. The pressure needed to stabilize the bipod, caused it to pull on the handguard drastically affected my impact. I will never not have a free floated handguard/stock on a rifle again.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

I only have 2 AR's without free float hand guards. One is the MP 15/22, which hardly counts.

The other is a faux 5.56 Dissipator, with a dummy FSGB just behind the flash hider, and a carbine length gas system hidden underneath the rifle length Magpul MOE hand guard. Barrel is an H-Bar Stoner special, from MidwayUSA.

This rifle started out with the carbine length MOE, but I switched it out for the rifle length hand guard to improve control due to the extra grip surface. In addition to being easier to control, off hand, the polymer is comfortable, summer or winter. This rifle is capable of hitting 4" gongs at 200 yards, off hand, using an Aimpoint Micro T1 (2 moa dot).

On a lark, I mounted a bipod to the lower rail and shot for groups at 100. Hits were definitely higher than previously seen off hand or off a bag. (~2-3"). POI shift was directly proportional to the loading of the bipod.

In a hunting situation, where I would either be shooting off hand or perhaps using a handy tree branch, I wouldn't sweat the shift. If, on the other hand, I were to use sticks or a bipod, I would be concerned about loading if shooting past 100.

YMMV

ETA: This hand guard, with delta ring, barrel nut, etc, weighs just a bit more than the Free Float tube and barrel nut on a similar rifle. Maybe if I was using a quad rail, or had stacked it up with accessories, it would weigh more, but I can't see free float as carrying a weight penalty, by itself.
                  Last edited by NugginFutz; 12-03-2018, 03:00 AM.
                  If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• FRB6.5
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2018

If the desire is for plastic grip panels, check out Midwest Industries, theirs are much wider than the typical keymod/M-lok strip panel.
                    If looking for A2 style plastic there are free float tubes that fit under them used for CMP competition.

Comment

• Wafavre2
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2017

Try a carbon fiber free float, the best for accuracy and warm hands.

Comment

• Sixoeight
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2018

I have a 5.56 upper with Magpul drop in handguard. It's midlength and great for a more traditional use AR. It's a plinking gun and a battle style setup. It is not a precision rifle though.

If I were you I would go with a free float for hunting. You never know how you might use the rifle (bipod, free hand, lean aim, awkward hold) so you can't predict how you will put forces on the barrel. There are plenty of accurate rifles which are not free float, but there are basically no rifles that are built around accuracy that are not free float. The only reason I would use a non free float AR for hunting would be if I didn't have one.

Comment

• RMiller
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2018

Awkward hold seems the most fitting.

Comment

• bj139
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2017

I like the traditional look. If you are shooting long range like greater than 300 yards then free float is better.
                            I have been wanting to get a 20" traditional build for a while. I did buy a 16" dissapator in 5.56 and it is nice to have for blasting.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

If you have aluminum and are concerned about your hand sticking to the metal in the cold, there are several companies making inserts that snap into the Keymod or MLOK slots.

Many of them are elastomer or polymer.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X