Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MF'nLeadFarmer

Glass suggestions on a budget

Hey all I'm brand new to the AR world as well as to the 6.5G. I'm looking at building an AR lower and putting a J&T Distributing 24" bull barrel upper. I primarily want to shoot from a bench for fun/ accuracy. I will eventually but with this rifle also. I'm looking at optics and have $300-$400 to spend. I was looking at:

Leupold VX II 3x9 40

Leupold Mark AR 3x9 40

I want to stay with Leupold as I live here in Oregon and take comfort in knowing they're near if I need them. Any other suggestions?

Will the Mark AR's 5.56 specific settings even work with the 6.5? Thank you.

I would look at the vortex viper line in 2.5-10x.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I have the Leupold Mark AR 3 X 9 X 40 mil dot and the instruction state this scope can be used with either 5.56, 7.62 or other calibers. The instructions explain how to use the mil dot and how to sight in for your caliber. I like the mil dot plus the ability to dial in the range if I have time. I think this is a good scope for the money plus I like the size on my flat top 16" carbine. I'm using a RRA cantilever mount with thumb screws. The only thing I was surprised is the 40 MM objective does not gather the light as much as my 2.5 X 10 scope with 50 MM objective even though this is a cheap Famous Maker scope.

I decided if I was going to be hunting in low light/night I might switch optics and put on my Vortex Strike Fire red dot so I keep the red dot which I sited in for my 6.5 Grendel in my gun case.
      Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-26-2011, 12:42 AM.

Comment

• MF'nLeadFarmer

Anybody know anything about this mount? I was also looking at the Burris AR pepr. I like that the Burris mount is available with QD mounts. I like that the S.A.L.T. Is capable of mounting 30mm and 1".

SWFA is an optics manufacturing specializing in rifle scopes built for tactical, hunting, and long range shooting known for quality and precision optics.

Comment

The mount is suppose to be really good and made in the USA. I almost bought one a few weeks ago but they didn't have them in stock so I went with the burris.

Comment

• MF'nLeadFarmer

Thanx all! I'm pretty stoked on the Mark AR. I eventually want to get a different optic for shooting steel at 1000. This 3x9 will suit me just fine for varmints and the paper monsters I want to use it for.

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Leupold makes good scopes, but you might consider alternatives where as the turrets match the reticle, such as a mil/mil setup.

A Weaver 3-9x with 0.1-mil clicks from MidwayUSA, or a Bushnell fixed 10x with 0.1-mil clicks, are appealing mildot scopes in the designated price range.
              Drifter

Comment

I've got a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8X36(paid $300 nib) on my Grendel and happy with it. That said I just bought a Vortex Viper HS 2.5x10xX44(paid $320 nib) to replace it for three reasons, 1)44mm objective more light, 2)10x to hopefully improve my groups, 3)30mm tube for additional adjustability.

Bye the way, Welcome to the Horde
                Last edited by Guest; 12-26-2011, 05:18 AM.

Comment

I think that if you can spend $300-$400 on a scope, the Leuopolds will be truly hard to beat.

On the other hand, a scope that is easier on the budget and works pretty good on many rifles is the Sightron I 3-9X (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/958...-reticle-matte). The body isn't as sleek and the reticle doesn't have that same touch of class as the Leupold, but a mil-dot is a mil-dot and the $134.95 price is an attention getter!

I have three and they work fine.
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-26-2011, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• MF'nLeadFarmer

SWFA is an optics manufacturing specializing in rifle scopes built for tactical, hunting, and long range shooting known for quality and precision optics.

I like the price point and the extra mag on the second one. Can anyone speak to the actual differences of the 3 models of viper glass i.e. viper, viper hs, viper pst? I've read the discriptions but it all just sounds like marketing speak. Are the "plain" vipers "shock proof". I won't be skull dragging for 3 miles with this rifle but I would like to know that if this thing was dropped or knocked against a tree, that it won't self-destruct because I was too cheap to spend and extra $100.

I was all in on the Mark AR but talked further to a buddy with an R15 with the Nikon equivalent and he said the BDC might be difficult and irritating to translate to 6.5G. Is it January yet? I can't wait to build this thing.

Comment

^ I'm with him. I'm still thinking about a Vortex Viper but confused on the series I want. I was told in my other post to go with HS since it will be mainly used for hunting but it has 1/2 MOA elevation clicks. I've never had a scope other than 1/4 clicks so I don't know how I will like that. I'm in no rush, guess I'm in the same boat as MF'n, got everything except a barrel which will be here sometime in January so I still have a few weeks to choose wisely.

Comment

• COTNTOP
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2011

Just mounted a Rapid Z-1000 on 24" AA AWS/Shilen barrel and all crosshair work perfect out to 600 yd. Had no time to shoot any farther. Just a little more than what you want to spend. Was using a Vortex Viper 6.5 x 20 and enjoyed that 250.00 scope from Cameraland.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattw View Post
                          ^ I'm with him. I'm still thinking about a Vortex Viper but confused on the series I want. I was told in my other post to go with HS since it will be mainly used for hunting but it has 1/2 MOA elevation clicks. I've never had a scope other than 1/4 clicks so I don't know how I will like that. I'm in no rush, guess I'm in the same boat as MF'n, got everything except a barrel which will be here sometime in January so I still have a few weeks to choose wisely.
                          No to change the subject, but which barrel did you go with. I am in the process of looking for a barrel, but don't know which one to choose.

Comment

Idk what he went with but I bought the 20" because it will be used for hunting 200-300 yards and stretched at the range just for fun to around 500-600 yards. It will be a little over a 2 month wait for the my barrel if it comes in mid January. When I ordered I was told the 16's and maybe the 18's were on hand but I had already told myself I wanted the 20" and didn't care, 2-3 months isn't bad anyway. Gives you time to research other parts more and maybe even wait for sales.

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
                              Warrior
                              • May 2011

might want to look at primary arms scopes...good for them money, I love mine on my grendel.

Comment

Working...
                              X