How to disassemble E-Lander and C-Products 10-round magazines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SDW
    Warrior
    • Jul 2018

How to disassemble E-Lander and C-Products 10-round magazines?

Hi all. I know it sounds like a dumb question, but I have one of each and can't seem to remove the base plates. FYI, I've worked with the USGI 20 and 30 rounders a bit, and also other aftermarket 5.56 mags in my day, such as Magpul and ASC. But my new E-Lander and CProd Grendel mags have me stymied.

The ELander has what I'll call a "button" on the bottom. I'd assume that this just needs to be pushed in all the way so that the plate can slide forward. However, I have applied a good deal of pressure to the button but it only goes down about half way, so to speak. I can't push it inside the magazine. It stops, like it is hitting something.

The CProd mag plate looks similar to a USGI plate; has a hole toward the forward end. I tried inserting a punch through the hole and pushing, even tapping with a hammer on the punch shaft, to get the late to slide foward. But it's really tight. Won't budge even 1 mm.

So... what am I doing wrong here? And is there a chance that the 10-rounders have been made un-openable for some dumb legal reason? I have not read anything like that in their literature.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

The cproducts you will need a flat head screwdriver or pocket knife to pry the end and make the bottom plate start to come off.

It is made with 2 small humps on the inside that hold it from sliding, so you have to pry up and out to get it to move, I use my pocket k for blade turn length wise across the mag.

Give me a sec I will post a pic of what I mean.

Comment

• Bigs28
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2016

Youtube is easiest way to see how.

Comment

• SDW
        Warrior
        • Jul 2018

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
        The cproducts you will need a flat head screwdriver or pocket knife to pry the end and make the bottom plate start to come off.

It is made with 2 small humps on the inside that hold it from sliding, so you have to pry up and out to get it to move, I use my pocket k for blade turn length wise across the mag.

Give me a sec I will post a pic of what I mean.
        Thanks, and thanks for taking the time to post the pics. That's just like my other aluminum GI-type mags. I was trying that with a little screwdriver. I even put 1/8" punch in the hole the other day and rocked it back like a lever to lift up the fwd edge a little to try and get those catches to clear. I guess I was afraid of permanently bending something and gave up too easily. That and I think the tabs on the body are just pressed extremely tight on the base plate. I will keep at it.

Comment

• SDW
          Warrior
          • Jul 2018

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
          Youtube is easiest way to see how.
          LOL, yep, first thing I thought of. But I could not find a video showing how this is done on an E-Lander. Lots of reviews on the mags, but if you add "disassembly" the vids shift quickly to taking apart GI mags and so forth.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by SDW View Post
            Thanks, and thanks for taking the time to post the pics. That's just like my other aluminum GI-type mags. I was trying that with a little screwdriver. I even put 1/8" punch in the hole the other day and rocked it back like a lever to lift up the fwd edge a little to try and get those catches to clear. I guess I was afraid of permanently bending something and gave up too easily. That and I think the tabs on the body are just pressed extremely tight on the base plate. I will keep at it.
            Hey no problem sir, that's what we here for to help others.

I think the inner tabs on the cp mags are a lil bigger then on gi 556 mags. I have much more trouble getting them off then I ever did on my metal 556 mags I use to have.

Can't help with the elanders I don't have anymore of them and can't remember how to do them.

Comment

• SDW
              Warrior
              • Jul 2018

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
              Hey no problem sir, that's what we here for to help others.

Can't help with the elanders I don't have anymore of them and can't remember how to do them.
              Not a fan of the E-Landers? I'd assumed they were everyone's go-to magazine.

I have yet actually try out my mags. Might head out to the desert over Thanksgiving and give my new Grendel upper a try. I bought one E-Lander and one C-Prod magazine to start with. I didn't want to by multiples yet. I'd rather see how these ones work first.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by SDW View Post
                Not a fan of the E-Landers? I'd assumed they were everyone's go-to magazine.

I have yet actually try out my mags. Might head out to the desert over Thanksgiving and give my new Grendel upper a try. I bought one E-Lander and one C-Prod magazine to start with. I didn't want to by multiples yet. I'd rather see how these ones work first.
                The only elander that ever gave me problems was the one and only that I purchased through Larue other then that they were good mags, needed a bit more brake in and some times a lil clean up of some of the spot welds but they were good.

Went to cpdefense mags because they had 26 rounders and because they give more room for handloads.

I have the 10 round cpd mags for hunting and target work and the 26 rounders for home/self defense work.

I used my 18 inch jp barrel to build my best bro a grendel so I gave him all my elander mags so he didn't have to buy any mags for it.

Comment

• SDW
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2018

That knife technique worked like a charm. Thanks again. I might have to go ahead and buy another. I've seen some good deals on those around the Net.

I resisted the deal with the EL mag sale at Larue when I bought my Larue trigger last summer. I wasn't sure about them yet. And they might be good but they sure are gaudy looking.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Standard floor plates are meant to be bent slightly upward to clear the retaining tabs.

A Delrin punch inserted into the floor plate is the easiest, non-damaging (no metal-on-metal) method.

Military TMs show this:

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• SDW
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2018

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      Standard floor plates are meant to be bent slightly upward to clear the retaining tabs.

A Delrin punch inserted into the floor plate is the easiest, non-damaging (no metal-on-metal) method.
                      Thanks. I'd tried that with a steel punch. I guess I gave up too soon.

BTW, I'm still completely puzzled about getting apart the E-Lander. Anyone got any pics showing how to get it apart? (I should post a pic of mine. Maybe over the weekend.)

Comment

• rebby
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2017

The E-Lander is even easier to take apart then the C-Products/ASC mag. If you look at the floor plate, you’ll see a triangular tab protruding from the middle. If you take a small screwdriver or allen/torx wrench (I usually use a T15 that I have in the safe for scope mounts) you can press this tab back up into the magazine body. You might have to shift it around a little bit or give it a little pressure, it can be a little sticky. Once this tab is clear of the floor plate, use your wrench/screwdriver to slide the plate off. The plate will only go one way due to the taper on one side. It’s actually a lot easier to do than it is to explain. Good luck!

Comment

• SDW
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2018

Originally posted by rebby View Post
                          The E-Lander is even easier to take apart then the C-Products/ASC mag. If you look at the floor plate, you’ll see a triangular tab protruding from the middle. If you take a small screwdriver or allen/torx wrench (I usually use a T15 that I have in the safe for scope mounts) you can press this tab back up into the magazine body. You might have to shift it around a little bit or give it a little pressure, it can be a little sticky. Once this tab is clear of the floor plate, use your wrench/screwdriver to slide the plate off. The plate will only go one way due to the taper on one side. It’s actually a lot easier to do than it is to explain. Good luck!
                          Thanks. Yeah, that's what I was calling the "button" in the first post up top. I've applied a considerable amount of pressure it early on in this quest. Enough that I felt if I went beyond, I'd break something inside. The button goes in easily to about half its height and then just stops.

But maybe, like you're indicating, there's a trick to it that I need to figure out.

Comment

Working...
                          X