To buy or not to buy - PSA 12" Nitride Upper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • towerofpower93
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2016

To buy or not to buy - PSA 12" Nitride Upper?

With the PSA10 code making it $250 shipped for a complete upper, it's tough not to pull the trigger.

I know there have been a couple of threads detailing individuals who purchased these and put them on paper and steel, but haven't heard much beyond these few accounts.

Also seems like there have been a few issues in these and other accounts about rough chambers and the like. Not that I don't think PSA would take care of it, but wasting time and components on an upper (or series of uppers) to finally get a good one doesn't seem like fun.

So, any one else picked one of these up and put it through its paces with handloads to really wring out the accuracy?

I'd prefer the nitride over the stainless, if for no other reason than the shiny barrel on the stainless.

If a Black Friday or Cyber Monday deal makes it even cheaper I might say screw it and just jump, but the overall cost is going to be more than just $250 once mags, reloading dies and components, and a new optic are procured, so getting some more feedback on real world accuracy results would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Eric
  • Dempsy1
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2018

DO IT!!

I’m enjoying mine, seems to be a great deal.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I’ve got the Nitride 12” PSA 6.5 Grendel pistol kit but have not shot it past 50 yards but mine is gtg. Another great option is the group buy 12” barrel and bolt. There are still good buys on components to help keep build price down. If your looking to build a 6.5 Grendel SBR or pistol I say it’s hard to go wrong with either one.

If your going to swap parts on the PSA 12” upper it might be cheaper in the long run to just buy the parts you want first and build an upper to suit your taste.
      Last edited by VASCAR2; 11-07-2018, 09:48 PM.

Comment

• Glockpride
        Warrior
        • Sep 2018

Buy! I bought one a few weeks ago. Have shot it for cycling trial, but don’t have an optic so no accuracy testing so far. But, it might just replace one of the 5.56 pistols.

Comment

• towerofpower93
          Bloodstained
          • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Dempsy1 View Post
          DO IT!!

I’m enjoying mine, seems to be a great deal.
          How far out have you taken yours on paper or steel? Factory ammo or handloads?

Comment

• towerofpower93
            Bloodstained
            • Feb 2016

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
            I’ve got the Nitride 12” PSA 6.5 Grendel pistol kit but have not shot it past 50 yards but mine is gtg. Another great option is the group buy 12” barrel and bolt. There are still good buys on components to help keep build price down. If your looking to build a 6.5 Grendel SBR or pistol I say it’s hard to go wrong with either one.

If your going to swap parts on the PSA 12” upper it might be cheaper in the long run to just buy the parts you want first and build an upper to suit your taste.
            Yeah, thought about looking into piecing together an upper, but the PSA really has everything I'd need/want....so long as the barrel is accurate.

I'm a simpleton when it comes to rails and charging handles and the like, so a simple MLOK free float rail and a charging handle I can RTV to reduce blowback in my face with a can on the end is more than adequate for my needs. I'd just stick a section of pic rail on the 6 o'clock for my bipod and call it a day. Even has the right 5/8x24 thread pitch on the muzzle for an AAC 51T suppressor mount or I'd just direct thread my Hybrid46.

I'm just leery of whether or not there have been enough received by folks who've taken them to distance with factory and/or handloads. I guess many/most of these uppers got bought up by folks already into 6.5G who wanted a truck gun/brush gun and weren't so much worried about the 400yds and beyond.

Have a couple weeks to do some more research before a Black Friday deal or code might twist my arm, haha.
            Last edited by towerofpower93; 11-08-2018, 11:06 AM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

One nice thing about the PSA 12” 6.5 Grendel upper is it comes with an adjustable gas block. When I first shot mine I was using the EPT trigger which really affected my ability to shoot it accurately. I put a RRA NM trigger in my 12” build and the groups improved a bunch. I mounted a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 on mine and the cross hair on the reticle is to thick for accurate shooting at 50 yards. I like the M-Lok hand guard PSA is using and the 6.5 Grendel BCG was in spec. Overall I really like my 12” PSA build.

Comment

• towerofpower93
                Bloodstained
                • Feb 2016

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                One nice thing about the PSA 12” 6.5 Grendel upper is it comes with an adjustable gas block. When I first shot mine I was using the EPT trigger which really affected my ability to shoot it accurately. I put a RRA NM trigger in my 12” build and the groups improved a bunch. I mounted a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 on mine and the cross hair on the reticle is to thick for accurate shooting at 50 yards. I like the M-Lok hand guard PSA is using and the 6.5 Grendel BCG was in spec. Overall I really like my 12” PSA build.
                Ah, forgot about the adj gas block...another thing I'd end up having to buy for a build.

Making it tough to say no...

The only thing holding me back in the logistics tail costs on dies, components, mount, and optic that would have to follow me home along with the upper, haha.

"But, honey, it was on a Black Friday SALE! Pay no mind to the other 1,000 I dropped on the CC to get the rest of the stuff."

Comment

• Wanderson
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2018

I picked one up a few weeks ago, I was only interested in something to shoot Wolf steel case. So far no issues, runs fine with CPD and Elanders mags. After dialing in the gas it’s a surprisingly soft shooter. Only shot it out to 50 yards but already I can tell this is grouping better than my other ARs.

Comment

• Nodak
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2016

I also adjusted mine to just hold the bolt back on last shot. Very soft recoil/impulse. Using just Wolf in mine also.

Comment

• towerofpower93
                      Bloodstained
                      • Feb 2016

Well, I drug my feet....back up to ~$300 shipped with the psa10 code.

Guessing they raised it back up so any Black Friday deals drop it back down without really cutting into their bottom line.

With the so-so accuracy reports I'm seeing here and elsewhere I might hold on the 12" PSA upper and spend a bit more for a 12-18" upper from AA or the like.

Not interested in collecting parts and sending it off to a smith to assemble since the first kid arrived 4 months ago and free time is a premium, so a ready to go upper is probably the only way I'll jump into 6.5G at this point.

Comment

• Phalanx
                        Unwashed
                        • Apr 2018

They do sell one that is a little more expensive with a stainless barrel. That upgrade probably buys a bit better accuracy.

Comment

• towerofpower93
                          Bloodstained
                          • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Phalanx View Post
                          They do sell one that is a little more expensive with a stainless barrel. That upgrade probably buys a bit better accuracy.
                          Thought about that, but this would probably end up with at least a partial diet of Wolf for close range paper hoser stages if/when I used it in 2G/3G, so not sure I'd want the stainless barrel.

I'm also a black rifle guy, so running a not black barrel is just a pet peeve of mine. No real substance to that portion of the decision making...just part of being humna, I huess.

Comment

• Etijsma
                            Unwashed
                            • May 2018

I have the stainless 12” and a mag for sale in the classifieds if your interested.

Comment

Working...
                            X