Clear All
  • Big Dog
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2018

Twist Rate

• A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

8 twist will cover everything from 85 to 130 grain.

I have the 16 inch AA barrel with the 7.5 twist and shooting the same ammo I can't tell the different in groups between it and my 8 twist 20 inch group buy barrel.

8 twist is the standard twist for almost all barrel suppliers.

Although I wouldn't turn down a 20 to 24 inch barrel if it had 7.5 twist.

8 twist with 120 to 130 grain bullets preferably all copper bullet and 300 are less yards should do for elk.

Mark Larue killed a big bull at 400 yards with a complete pass through If o remover correctly and he used a 120 tsx bullet from I think a 18 or 20 inch barrel.

Google search ar15.com for the post it's still on there somewhere's.

If I was going after elk I would run the 127 lrx, 129 ablr or 130 Berger hunting or 130 game changer bullet from my 20 inch grendel and set my max range at 300 yards.

For deer and hogs 400 or less the 123 eld-m, old amax, sst will do just fine.

Or choose one of the higher weight pills and develop a good elk load and use it on everything from 400 yards and closer.

Hope this helps sir.
    Last edited by A5BLASTER; 11-02-2018, 02:00 AM.

Comment

• centerfire
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

7.5 to 8. Personally I think bullets that would need 7.5 or faster aren't well suited to the Grendel cartridge.

Comment

• Big Dog
        Unwashed
        • Oct 2018

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
          That’s exactly what I wanted to know A5BLASTER. In case I wasn’t clear, my max range for game would not exceed 400 yards. I can’t see that far no matter how good the optic is. ��

So I guess it’s 1:8 - unless I get the 18” AA with the 1:7.5 just to make you jealous... ��
          Sounds good lol.

But my rebarrel for my custom bolt action will have a 26 inch 7.5 twist one day.

Comment

• Sticks
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2016

This is what is nice about the Grendel and a couple other recent 6.5 caliber sammi spec cartridges - the first and only ones to have a 1:8 twist rate, others are much slower. Thus we can utilize the heavier and high BC bullets. The most recent addition to the 6.5 lineup is the PRC, which is also speced for the 1:8 twist running up to 147gr pills.
            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Bobke
              Warrior
              • Dec 2015

Comment

• kmon
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2015

When in doubt about twist rates for a bullet check out the Twist rate calculator on Bergers site. My 2 Grendels have 1:8 for a 24 inch barrel AR and 8.4 for the Bolt action with an Obermeyer barrel. Both do well with up to 103gr Berger Hybrids and 129gr ABLR bullets.

For other bullets than Berger you can put in the length weight and velocity to use their calculator

Comment

• Big Dog
                  Unwashed
                  • Oct 2018

Comment

Working...
                  X