• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BrowningGuy88
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2018

Bolt Carrier Group - Opinions

Ok guys, I need some advice! I am buying parts for my first build which will use a group buy 12" barrel. I plan to use a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block. So, what BCG?

I have never purchased a BCG before. I am looking at FailZero 6.5G, Aero Precision 6.5G, or Toolcraft 6.5G.

Is there better solutions? Buy a stand alone carrier and then a separate bolt? What are you guys running?

Thanks!
  • Arkhangel5
    Warrior
    • Apr 2016

BG88,
    i am running the OdinWorks 6.5g BCG's in both my 6.5grens. No issues with.

One is coming up on ~1800 rnds on it, the other less than 100.

Litte pricier than others, but I believe the black nitride finish holds up well.

My experience.

SY

Comment

• dammitman
      Warrior
      • Dec 2012

i think that all your 3 choices will be nice. I can use one of each for future builds, well here comes out another parts order!

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

All three will work. Check around black Friday for the good sales.

Comment

• Lantern
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2018

I got a sweet deal on a Toolcraft DLC treated BCG. It has worked great and is made just a few miles from my house.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

There are group buy 12” barrels with Monster logo 6.5 Grendel bolts in the group buy section. These are a great deal for a bolt and barrel. I bought a PSA Nitride 5.56 bolt carrier group on sale with free shipping. I swapped out the 5.56 bolt for a Monster bolt and kept the 5.56 bolt for a spare. Not sure you were aware of the group buy barrels and bolts.

All local, state, and federal laws apply. In the rare event a transaction between private parties should go awry, forum management cannot be responsible in any way, nor can we mediate disputes. Please take full responsibility for your dealings here, or simply decline using this service.

Comment

• BrowningGuy88
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2018

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Poor reading comprehension again BG88 I missed you’d bought a group buy barrel. Regardless I hope you enjoy your new build. AR-15’s have so many compatiable parts makes the build interesting just trying to figure out what I’m going to use.

Comment

• mdram
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2016

note: not all bcgs use a milspec firing pin. be certain of what you buy, and know what parts you need later to avoid headaches
                  just some targets for printing
                  https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• BrowningGuy88
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2018

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                    Poor reading comprehension again BG88 I missed you’d bought a group buy barrel. Regardless I hope you enjoy your new build. AR-15’s have so many compatiable parts makes the build interesting just trying to figure out what I’m going to use.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

One of the main things I look at with a carrier is the inside of the bolt bore.

Sometimes, carriers will have rough tooling marks inside, hard chromed over. This condition will shred your gas rings in short order.

It can happen with any manufacturer, so you need to inspect your carriers yourself.

All the nitrided carriers I have are really smooth, including the ones from LaRue, PF, and Bootleg.

For a 12", I am so far liking the Bootleg adjustable gas carrier. If it continues to work as advertised, I think it will be my go-to carrier.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                      X