• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • druu
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2018

Barrel Accuracy

I am putting together a semi auto and I'm wondering what kind of barrel you guys are running and how accurate they are? I'm looking to do a long range precision type build so also how far are guys reaching out too?
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

How much money you got?

Long range precision - what is your definition of Long Range?

Those of us that are stretching as far as we can is all based on altitude where you are shooting - which defines the maximum range the bullet is supersonic with the ammunition selected.

I shoot at 4600 ASL and above, so I can get to 1000 yards with the gr ELD ammo and an 18" Bartlien barrel running 2476fps at the muzzle. I need more work on my skills to actually get first round hits at that range. Right now I am good to 600. Past that I have to walk them in (fire for effect). A fair portion of that has to do with my data input on my ballistics which I hope to correct some of it today.

I have $1800 in that Bartlien upper, another 1k in optics, and $600 in the lower. I have a 24" Lilja that can do the same, but I stole that whole rifle for about 50% of cost, plus another $1k in optics.

Another member here routinely gets out to 1k with accuracy with a 17" Lilja.

Bottom line, the farther you want to shoot, the more money you are going to have to invest in a barrel, optics, trigger, and other peripherals. Proof Research, Bartlien, Lilja, Kreiger, Balistics Advantage, Larue (maybe), Criterion....
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• druu
      Unwashed
      • Jan 2018

I don't have tons of money but im willing to shell out what it takes to get what it takes. I was thinking about the" lilja or a 20" BSF but I figured I would see what guys where getting and with what. Whenever other people ask me how far I want to go and I say 1000 guys kinda laugh but to do that with a 17" is impressive.

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by druu View Post
        I don't have tons of money but im willing to shell out what it takes to get what it takes. I was thinking about the" lilja or a 20" BSF but I figured I would see what guys where getting and with what. Whenever other people ask me how far I want to go and I say 1000 guys kinda laugh but to do that with a 17" is impressive.
        druu:

Your question comes up five or ten times a year. Here is the latest that is in my opinion one of the better ones. Sound advice.

This was written on a phone, so if things seem off, you gotta love auto-correct... Haven't shot in a bit due to just life stuff, but I need to get back to the range. Was thinking 100, 200, 600 & then 1000. Can this be accomplished by a 16" brl, say BA Hanson style, AA, Faxon or these GREEN Mountain Barrels? Would

LR55

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

We all know budgets, but... as LR55 said in another thread, the quickest "points" (ie, accuracy) you can get are the ones you can buy. Quality rifle makes the 1000 yd easier by far. Barrel, trigger, optics/mount, shooter skill............ plus peripherals.
          If it were me, I'd not go less than a 20" barrel, probably 22-24 from a top barrel mfr. That's where I would start.
          Browse the threads here.... lots of good advice from accomplished shooters, guys that know "shootin' stuff".

65Grendel forum, patron state of Grendel shootin' stuff ("Shooter" paraphrased).
          "You've come a long way. What you boys lookin for?"
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Popeye212
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2018

Precision Firearms is a member here you might contact him also and I believe he gives a 20% one time discount to members. That would be my first stop as in Bartlein?

Comment

• kcb38
              Warrior
              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
              Precision Firearms is a member here you might contact him also and I believe he gives a 20% one time discount to members.
              Say what???
              - Kirk -

Comment

• Popeye212
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2018

Just read it I will go find it.

Comment

• Popeye212
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2018

Read it here
                  Hey everyone, I've been researching possibly getting into 6.5 Grendel so natural that found me stumbling into here. Normally I build my own ARs and have been highly considering a 12" 6.5G upper build for my SBR'ed lower. I currently have an 8.5" 300BO upper on that lower and do not run it suppressed. Basically just

Comment

• kcb38
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2017

Oh my. I wish I had known that before I bought the barrel I have now.
                    - Kirk -

Comment

• biodsl
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by PrecisionFirearms View Post
                      Welcome to the Horde!

Precision Firearms has always offered a 20% off the first order from all new Horde Members.
                      Originally posted by kcb38 View Post
                      Oh my. I wish I had known that before I bought the barrel I have now.
                      If I'd known that my first order wouldn't have been two boxes of ammo!
                      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Sticks
                        Chieftain
                        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                        If I'd known that my first order wouldn't have been two boxes of ammo!
                        If I had know that I would have said something on my Neptune upper.
                        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• imaguy3
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2018

Originally posted by druu View Post
                          Just an FYI... On my grendel, 16" barrel with a Sandman K suppressor, I am getting 2350 fps muzzle velocity with American Gunner. The other day I tried it at 1020 yards just to see. I ended up dialing 20 moa on elevation from zero (I was maxed at 23 worth of adjustment)... then I held the 24" square steel target inside the red square I drew on the reticle picture.

Strelok told me 46.88 moa for elevation adjustment with an impact velocity of 1074fps. According to strelok it said I went below 1125 fps around 960 yards.

I was however able to hit 3 out of 5. It was a heck of a thing ha

Reticle-Bushnell_DEPLOY_MOA_FFP_ts.jpg
                          Last edited by imaguy3; 10-21-2018, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X