Bloodstained
    • Oct 2018

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13227[/ATTACH]

Comment

• rebby
      Warrior
      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by RubberDucky View Post
      Rebby, let us know if your accuracy improves. I won’t have time to work on mine for a little while but plan on doing everything you listed.
      Will do. It may be a couple of weeks before I get a chance to shoot it now but I will report back when I know more.

Comment

• johnsopi
        Unwashed
        • Oct 2018

Got it togather. Was at the range today 1x6 PA scope it was good but. I just got a nikkon 4x12 black friday day deal thinking about using that. Using wolf and limted to 100yrds. In the spring Im joining a range that goes out 400 yrds. Would This be a better chioce

Comment

• NeilVT79
          Bloodstained
          • Oct 2018

Originally posted by johnsopi View Post
          Got it togather. Was at the range today 1x6 PA scope it was good but. I just got a nikkon 4x12 black friday day deal thinking about using that. Using wolf and limted to 100yrds. In the spring Im joining a range that goes out 400 yrds. Would This be a better chioce
          I would say if you're primary purpose for the rifle is shooting paper and steel at the range then a 4-12 would do the trick.
          IMHO that PA 1-6 is perfect for a 12" grendel because of its versatility. The 1x for close quarters and the acss reticle being able to reach out to 800 yrds without any adjustments is pretty nifty.

Comment

• aephilli822
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2016

Originally posted by NeilVT79 View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]13227[/ATTACH]
            how do you like that TailHook II?

Comment

• NeilVT79
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2018

Originally posted by aephilli822 View Post
              how do you like that TailHook II?
              The tailhook mod 2 is the best brace Ive used so far. It has adjustable length, all polymer and no rubber.

Only wish it had a qd cup on the right side.

It's a bit pricey, but I got that one from big daddy unlmited for $104 and totally worth it.

Comment

• Lazermule
                Bloodstained
                • Nov 2018

Great thread guys! I got my 20" Grendel upper yesterday and my 12" upper today (yeah, I bought two ).

The 20 inch is a Bear Creek Arsenal and the 12 inch is a PSA. Both are stainless.

I bought a Nikon 4-12x (CDNN BF) for the 20 and a Nikon 3-9x for the 12.

I'll start the assembly this weekend.

LM
                Last edited by Lazermule; 12-07-2018, 12:39 AM. Reason: TYPO

Comment

• RubberDucky
                  Unwashed
                  • Nov 2018

Would love to hear what kind of accuracy you get with the PSA

Comment

• Geo360
                    Unwashed
                    • Sep 2018

I bought the 12" SS upper. The targets are at 100 yards with a PA Raptor 1-6.
                    Instead of the over torquing the other guys mentioned, I had a tiny bit of wiggle in my barrel when I got home from the range.
                    Maybe I caused it when I put on the linear comp, didn't notice any at the time. It was an easy install.
                    I had a little burr in the crown also, took it off with a felt cone and a touch of polish at low speed on the Dremel.

This is my first post, if the pictures don't come through:
                    Hornady Custom 123gr SST - 2.15" 5 shot group
                    Hornady Black 123gr ELD - 2.7", 1.83" without the one I pulled
                    American Eagle 120gr OTM - 1.85"
                    Wolf Military Classic 100gr - 3.3"

The red target is all Wolf, better than the mixed target - 12 shots in 3.1", 11 shots <1.3", 8 shots <1"
                    The 3 on the bottom right are a separate group.

Wolf1.jpg

Test.jpg

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

I’ve had a chance to shoot my 12” PSA Nitride 6.5 Grendel today. My groups are improving and I think a lot of it is I’m learning how to shoot this pistol. I got a couple of groups less than 1” with brass cased ammo today. With Wolf 100 grain FMJ the cases landing on the ground in a pile is almost as good as the groups on paper. Even with my practice I’m still getting 3” or larger groups at 100 yards. Realistically I may see some 2”-2.5” groups at 100 yards with Wolf if the stars align but this ammo throws a lot of fliers. The Wolf steel cased ammo would be great with a quality bullet.

With my practice I’m satisfied with the accuracy with brass cased ammo but Wolf steel cased will likely be used for shooting steel or CQB drills. I think I have a good zero on my 1-6 Vortex Strike Eagle and it seems to be a pretty good match for this pistol. The PSA 12” Nitride has still functioned 100% with Faxon, ASC and C Products mags. I’ve probably shot at least 200 rounds through the pistol but haven’t kept track.
                      Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-11-2018, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• MarkS
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2018

I shoot my 12" PSA upper only with a can on it. I have the adjustable gas block turned all the way down and it functions as smooth as silk: light recoil and lock-back on last round.
                        This actually surprised me because I thought the gas block would shut off when turned all the way in, but it didn't.
                        Last edited by MarkS; 12-18-2018, 02:35 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• NeilVT79
                          Bloodstained
                          • Oct 2018

Originally posted by MarkS View Post
                          I shoot my 12" PSA upper only with a can on it. I have the adjustable gas block turned all the way down and it functions as smooth as silk: light recoil and lock-back on last round.
                          This actually surprised me because I thought the gas block would shut off when turned all the way in, but it didn't.
                          The gas block should shut off when screwed all the way in. Your can must have enough gas blowback to cycle the bolt far enough back to lock, kinda cool, must be a smooth impulse.

Comment

• rebby
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2017

I finally have an update to this. Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy couple of weeks (my 8 year-old had another, expedited, surgery). Anyway...

As I mentioned in the quoted post above, I did a little work on both guns. I ended up replacing the crush washer on the nitrite gun with a Accu-Washer from Precision Armament (these are phenomenal BTW) and ran the stock A2-style flash hider. I left the FH off of the stainless gun and just spun on a thread protector and snugged it up by hand. I did a quick clean of both barrels using Hoppes #9 followed up with some clean/dry patches.

Starting with the nitrite gun, initially I was seeing 1-2" groups at 50y out of the box. Results this time around were significantly better, I didn't have a caliper with me but this time I managed roughly 1/2" at 100y. Two of the rounds went through the same hole (for the most part) and the third hole was just outside of "cloverleafing". I only shot a couple of groups yesterday but this 3-shot string was pretty representative of my results, the largest group was still <1". Groups were all shot using 120g Nosler ballistic tips from Alexander Arms with a Schmidt & Bender PMII @ ~12x in a Geissele SP mount using a Magpul bipod and a rear sandbag off a bench. This gun will likely end up with an MRD/BUIS set up in the end (which is why I didn't adjust for a better POI).

Nitrite3shot.png

I shot a few more rounds through the stainless gun than the nitrate one. As I mentioned previously, I preemptively "reworked" the stainless gun so yesterday was the first time that I ever shot it. Groups were still quite good however. The pic attached is a 5-shot group at 100y with, of course, the final round sneaking out to the right totally destroying the final group. Still, this is representative of what the groups looked like all day. I started off with a little vertical stringing that (obviously) settled down as the day went on. The string never got any worse than ~1.25" @ 100y though so it wasn't anything that really concerned me. Groups were all shot using 120g Nosler ballistic tips from Alexander Arms with a Vortex Razor HD LH @ ~8x in a Aero Precision SPR mount using a Magpul bipod and a rear sandbag off a bench. I intend to keep this scope/mount combo with this gun in the long run.

Stainless5shot.png

Both guns were shot with the same Six Sigma Arms lower equipped with an AR Gold trigger adjusted to 3.25lbs.

At this point I'm thrilled with what I've been able to squeeze out of these uppers after a quick rebuild. I'll continue testing with some additional loads and I'm going to see if I can tame the recoil a bit with an APA Little Bastard brake. I'd really like to get these both setup for deer/hogs for my kids (my youngest is currently 8).

Comment

Working...
                            X