• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Grendel SBR

Ok gents need some advice and opinions.

Later this winter I plan on building me a SBR upper to share a lower with my 16 inch grendel.

It will be used for hunting spot and stalk style and double as a self defense weapon if need be.

What length barrel would you choose 12 inch or 11 inch?

I finally found a supplier for flash hiders to pin and weld and make it 16 inch overall and not gave to give uncle Sam anymore money then need be.

So it's a go on this project after I finish my 20 inch rifle.

Plan on useing 129 grain PF ablr ammo out this weapon for hunting.

So what say the horde 12 or 11 inch barrel?
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Will having a long 4” flash hider have any effect on dwell time and the size of the gas port needed? My only experience with this type of upper was an Olympic Arms 40 S&W PCC AR-15. Being blowback and no gas system the barrel length was a non issue. I suspect that a long flash hider would not contain the pressure enough to cause a problem but I don’t remember anyone doing this with a centerfire 6.5 Grendel AR-15.

I think it would be cheaper to find a 12” 6.5 Grendel barrel and I would want the extra velocity over an 11”. In essence your going to have a rifle by definition because of the length and using a AR-15 lower with a collapsable stock and not a brace like a pistol.

Comment

• mdewitt71
      Warrior
      • Dec 2016

like I addressed in the other thread the math is not really there to save wt.....when you add a 5 inch flash hider to a barrel.
      I will have Ve and Ke numbers all the way out to 200 yards from a 12" barrel this weekend for sure though.
      ― George Orwell

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Just do a 12" pistol and avoid any regulations altogether.

SB Tactical SBA3 brace and you're done.

Pin & Welding makes no sense at all in this case, and wouldn't require SBR'ing anyway because you would have a legal length 16" rifle at that point with a 4.5" muzzle device.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• mdewitt71
          Warrior
          • Dec 2016

Exactly ^^^^^^
          ― George Orwell

Comment

• Thegrass13
            Bloodstained
            • Jul 2018

If anything get a 14.5/14.7 inch barrel and then pin and weld whatever brake/flash hider you want on there. But I completely agree with what others are saying regarding doing a pistol build. And hey if you ever change your mind and decide to SBR it you'll already be set up. Best of luck .

Comment

• Thegrass13
              Bloodstained
              • Jul 2018

Originally posted by mdewitt71 View Post
              like I addressed in the other thread the math is not really there to save wt.....when you add a 5 inch flash hider to a barrel.
              I will have Ve and Ke numbers all the way out to 200 yards from a 12" barrel this weekend for sure though.
              Looking forward to the numbers man, finished my 12.5'' build last week and haven't been able to take it out the range yet. Ill keep my eyes out for your post!

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Let me see if I can get these answers straight as the questions were asked.

First- Vascar I really don't think it will, it's just a basic a2 stretched out, so I don't see it messing with dwell time, plus it will have adjustable gas.

Second- 5 inches of .700 to .750 barrel steal will be much more then a 5 inch flash hider, much more steal in a 5 inch section of barrel then a hollowed out tube of a flash hider.

Third- See that's the thing when i spoke to ldwf and state police a pistol ar still requires a tax stamp so either way they want money and I'm not going to give it to them.

Four- I have a full workshop complete with mig and tig welder plus drill press and any and all tools plus trained work skills to do the job so yea no cost to get it pin and welded, plus yea I like the xm177 look on that short barrel and nope for thick deep spot and stalk public land hunting gun I would be lucky to get a shot past 100 yards with I don't need higher muzzle velocity or high bc to kill with it.

Five- I have a true 16 inch already building a 14.5 with pin and weld a2 flash hider would be a waste of time and energy.

I get it y'all can't see it it's cool it's still going to happen, it fits the role I want and need it for perfectly.

Now just got to decide AA 11 inch barrel and bolt or maybe a Faxon gunner profile 12 inch.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Pic of flash hider, hope it comes out ok.

As per manufactor 5 onces in weight at 5 inches long.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Thegrass13
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jul 2018

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                    Let me see if I can get these answers straight as the questions were asked.

First- Vascar I really don't think it will, it's just a basic a2 stretched out, so I don't see it messing with dwell time, plus it will have adjustable gas.

Second- 5 inches of .700 to .750 barrel steal will be much more then a 5 inch flash hider, much more steal in a 5 inch section of barrel then a hollowed out tube of a flash hider.

Third- See that's the thing when i spoke to ldwf and state police a pistol ar still requires a tax stamp so either way they want money and I'm not going to give it to them.

Four- I have a full workshop complete with mig and tig welder plus drill press and any and all tools plus trained work skills to do the job so yea no cost to get it pin and welded, plus yea I like the xm177 look on that short barrel and nope for thick deep spot and stalk public land hunting gun I would be lucky to get a shot past 100 yards with I don't need higher muzzle velocity or high bc to kill with it.

Five- I have a true 16 inch already building a 14.5 with pin and weld a2 flash hider would be a waste of time and energy.

I get it y'all can't see it it's cool it's still going to happen, it fits the role I want and need it for perfectly.

Now just got to decide AA 11 inch barrel and bolt or maybe a Faxon gunner profile 12 inch.
                    Hey man you do you, but an ar pistol still does not require a 200$ tax stamp. A 200$ tax stamp is only required for barrels 16'' and under and also combined with a STOCK. Attaching a vertical foregrip to a pistol will also constitute it as an NFA item requiring a tax stamp. But a 12 inch barrel 6.5 grendel with a pistol brace is considered a pistol. I am not sure who you spoke to at LDWF but they are misinforming people. For what its worth I would also recommend the AA 11 inch barrel.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Thegrass13 View Post
                      Hey man you do you, but an ar pistol still does not require a 200$ tax stamp. A 200$ tax stamp is only required for barrels 16'' and under and also combined with a STOCK. Attaching a vertical foregrip to a pistol will also constitute it as an NFA item requiring a tax stamp. But a 12 inch barrel 6.5 grendel with a pistol brace is considered a pistol. I am not sure who you spoke to at LDWF but they are misinforming people. For what its worth I would also recommend the AA 11 inch barrel.
                      Thanks but I think I will go with what ldwf head officer for area 2 hunting zone and what the state police say is and isn't legel.

Last post for me on this.

It has turned into a circle jerk of being told how I should build and spend my money.

Not answering a simple question of what would be better 11,12 or 12.5 inch barrel.

Didn't want any other opinions on how I should are shouldn't build my setup.

Good night and topic dead mods lock it please.

Comment

• Bigs28
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2016

12" and sorry you feel like your not being answered. This forum is to help people. Your local law enforcement guy is wrong. No tax stamp for ar pistol. Call the atf directly. The problem might be that you want to use your existing rifle lower or your state might not allow ar pistols for hunting.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                          Chieftain
                          • Feb 2013

A5, did you tell leo you would be sharing the lower? If so, that is why they said you would need a stamp.

An ar pistol does not require a stamp. An ar rifle lower that you put a 12” upper on is technically a sbr because of the lower.
                          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• mdewitt71
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2016

I lived in LA for 7 years.... had AR pistols and SBRs the whole time and built many as well.
                            You are either getting bad info or not comprehending very well........ but, again do what you want it is your money.
                            ― George Orwell

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                              Thanks but I think I will go with what ldwf head officer for area 2 hunting zone and what the state police say is and isn't legel.

Last post for me on this.

It has turned into a circle jerk of being told how I should build and spend my money.

Not answering a simple question of what would be better 11,12 or 12.5 inch barrel.

Didn't want any other opinions on how I should are shouldn't build my setup.

Good night and topic dead mods lock it please.
                              I'm looking at LDWF hunting regulations right now. Maybe you are referring to that?

Can't find anything in LDWF hunting equipment that would restrict using an AR15, unless you were trying to use it in Primitive Weapon season, where it's basically limited to muzzle loaders.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X