New Here; Some Generic Barrel Questions ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Here; Some Generic Barrel Questions ..

Pardon me not posting a separate introduction, but I figure I can kill two birds with one stone. The Grendel chambering has piqued my interest; I have a couple of 5.56 rifles, one 5.45, and a .25/06. I'm considering this caliber as the happy medium to my current ones.

I've been doing a lot of reading about the Grendel, and I *think* I know what I'd want-a 20" barrel with probably standard profile. I'm not seeing a big selection of assembled uppers yet, but I'm sure that will improve with the recent SAAMI sanctioning. But I'm also considering the option of a custom assembly.

Given that, I have a couple of questions. For a 20" barrel and the range of commercial ammunition bullet weights, what is the best compromise twist-I've seen a bit of variation within a given length. Conversely, there are some advocates of progressive twist on shorter barrels in 5.56. Has anyone here an opinion or experience with (say) a 16" barrel in 6.5 rifled this way?

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • RangerRick

I've got a 20 inch Satern barrel with a 1:8.5 twist. I've shot from 90 grain to 130 grain bullets with no problem. I haven't shot in extreme cold weather, most of my shooting is at about 200 feet above sea level.

There are quite a few vendors for uppers. Call or e-mail Bob at Templar Consulting, he sells Grendel barrels with progressive rifling and can probably answer a lot of questions.

He can build you a barrel, or upper, too, if you like.

(877) 878-2334
    bobjr@templarconsultingllc.com

RR

Comment

Welcome to the board, from what I've read 19.5" is optimum for the Grendel cartridge capacity. I agree, with the SAAMI acceptance we should start to see more Grendel product. I have no experience with the progressive twist barrels, but was very happy with the 16" 1-8 button barrel from AA.

Comment

Personally, of any non traditional rifling, things like 5r or Polygon are the most appealing to me. But having said that, traditional rifling remains the safe bet. Progressive rifling, I would be more weary of. Why? because it doesn't have a consistently static engrave angle. That means that it will sheer the jacket by having a change in twist pitch. Just imagine twisting a flathead screwdriver onto the surface of modeling clay. I would stay away from it, but that's just me.

Comment

Working...
        X