• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • captmorgan47
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2017

Bossman barrel dampeners

bossman has barrel dampeners that are supposed to close up groups looks like they slide on the barrels.in front of the handguard....any have any opinions on them????
  • HuntTXhogs
    Warrior
    • Jan 2014

Towards the end of the video ....

If I had tested, I would have added the limbsaver (bossman design) to a rifle that was already shooting well with another style of brake or suppressor just to see if added harmonic damping could be achieved....

Comment

• JASmith
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2014

shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

I know that these types of vibration reducers/elimantors work on a compound bow and it's string and cables but I have always been taught and told anything touches the barrel while firing will effect groups.

Guess more testing and data collection is in order before I would say yay or nay on a product like this.

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

I'll confess I didn't see the 35 min +/- video, longer than my attention span...!
          But, in considering any potential impact on barrel performance, it could just be that a heavier barrel, once steady, is more steady than a lighter one, due to inertia more than anything else.. So an equal weight of iron mated to the barrel at the same spot might have the same effect as this hunk of rubber. Or a heavier barrel overall, might have a better accuracy... (go figure).
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• muvef
            Warrior
            • Mar 2017

The VG6 Gamma definitely got me a 1/4" or more better.

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

LRRP52 posted a 3 part video on AR15 tuning (M16 actually). Barrel nut torque, muzzle device, and IIRC FSB gas block. There is something to more crap on the barrel at the right spot to "tune" it for a particular load of ammo.

Even Johnny's Reloading Bench had an episode where his test loads with and w/o magneto speed and suppressor showed different groupings with the same load - though I don't remember him catching on to the fact that he had less crap on the barrel which screwed his accuracy.
              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Djgrendel
                Warrior
                • Feb 2016

I can say for sure, that that the idea is sound. But it's just another way to separate the coin from our pockets. Barrel harmonics can be adjusted by adding various dampener here, or there. I see it all the time when machining parts in a lathe. Sometimes we will wrap a large innertube around the part to absorb vibration. Also add bags of lead shot to the tooling or the part. As a reloader, I see zero need for anything like that. I can tune the ammo to the pipe. Just as easily as I can adjust feed rate and rpm to the machines. It's crazy when a 15 foot long, 8 inch diameter shaft starts to sing.
                Yard work is not an excuse!

Comment

Working...
                X