Can you use 223 extractor on type 2 grendel in a pinch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobUrban
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2018

Can you use 223 extractor on type 2 grendel in a pinch?

I have searched all over the forum and cant seem to find a thread on this. I am in need of a quick fix to be able to shoot my grendel since yesterday the extractor broke shooting crappy steel ammo. I am going to order a 6.5 extractor for the long term but was really hopping to be able to shoot some rounds over this weekend. It seems very possible I could pick up a 223 extractor at the local gun shop if it will "work". Anyone have any first hand experience with if this will function well enough to get me through the weekend?
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

I bought a few 223 extractors. On the first photo is a 7.62x39 bolt, the other a Grendel bolt.
    Notice how the extractor impinges into the bolt face. The extractor on the 7.62 would mostly fail to snap over the rim.
    I looked at an AA bolt and noticed an extended taper on the face so I made the extractor faces look like the AA bolt with a dremel tool.
    The second picture only shows one modified. I also did the second one later.
    Bolts are reversed left to right in each photo. Sorry.
    They both now function to manually feed and eject a cartridge. I didn't have problems before with the Grendel unmodified.
    I did not try this in autoloading mode. Over and out.

Last edited by bj139; 07-20-2018, 01:25 PM.

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

Here is the group buy bolt photo which I took last year. Much better.

Comment

• RobUrban
        Bloodstained
        • Jul 2018

Thanks for the replys I ended up just contacting the manufacturer of the bolt and bear creek arsenal mailed me another extractor at no cost. Looks like the 223 would have worked

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

Your welcome. Grendel extractors are about $20 and 5.56 extractors are about $5.
          I like to save money to buy more ammo as much as the next person.
          I will report back once I fire some Grendel or 7.62x39 semiauto shots .

Comment

Working...
          X