Everything is on the way, now for a scope.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything is on the way, now for a scope.

AA Billet Side Charge Upper, 20" 6.5 Grendel Barrel, WCI Muzzle Brake, Hogue Free Float Handguard, Rock River Collapsible Stock, Palmetto State Armory Lower (gadsden), CMC Trigger, ERGO Tactical Grip, all on the way. AA said the barrel wont be available till a little while after the first of the year, which is fine, just glad to get everything on the way.

I was quoted $1200 for everything except the grip and lower (bought myself) just have to add tax and shipping. So I'm looking at around $1400-1500 total, I'll have to see when it's done.

Now, the scope... This Grendel will be for hunting, 200-300 yards, and stretched at the range to maybe 500 yards just for kicks later on after I mess with some handloads. I know some don't believe in spending less than $800-1000 on a scope but I just don't have the money right now and don't see the need if I am focusing on 200-300 yard hunting for now.

What I have laying around is:

Simmons Aetec 4-14X44 SF Master Series / 1" tube

Barska 4-16x50 IR Sniper Scope / 30mm tube... Don't laugh I got a hell of a deal on that thing, never heard much on them and have not shot it so I might throw it on the Grendel first and give it a go to see if I need to throw it away or not.

So that's my free options, the other options are:

Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 PA
    Liberty Optics and Camera Land have them both for 459.99
    Only thing swaying me towards Camera Land right now is that Liberty Optics only has Mil-dot Reticle option which I don't mind but would rather have Dead-Hold BDC. Which is an option with Camera Land along with 15% off till Christmas... making me drool!
    BTW anyone know What the differences are in the Viper Series and the Viper HS? Just seen those on Camera Land for the first time, maybe I'm blind.

I have also been looking around at SWFA SS Scopes and Bushnell Elites, they just have so many options. Anyways, let me know what you guys think and what you hunters have on your Grendel, Thanks!

And on sale at Liberty are some 3-9 Ziess scopes that just might be in your price range. I got a demo (German glass) Minox hunting scope for like $230 from them and put int on my Grendel forhunting it is bright and clear. 3-9 X are all you need for 2-300 yard hunting. Those expensive 30mm high mag tubes may be soldier proof but I'm never buying a scope that heavy for hunting if I can help it. Oh, the HS is said to be better glass; I dont know though, I never held one.

Comment

I just bought a Vortex 2.5-10x44 HS for deer hunting 200-300yrds. It fits my usage requirements and budget. Vortex has good website for comparing models and options.

Comment

the 6-20 vortex is a nice scope but i think it will be too much for hunting. something in the 4-16 range would do nice and still have plenty to reach out to 500. I shoot with a bunch of guy who have 15x scopes and they hit 1200 targets no problem. One of the guys has a uso fixed 10x and he makes it all the way to 1200 also.

Comment

You might want to consider the Redfield 3-9, or 2-7 with accu-range reticle. Once you figure out where your point of impact is for the various aiming points in the scope, it is a very handy setup.

I have one Grendel set up with the 2-7, and another Grendel set up with a Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40 with TMR reticle. The TMR reticle gives me 10 aiming points beyond the zero at 100 yards. This makes it very handy for distance shooting. I used my Exbal program to figure out the exact impact point for each of the mil and half-mil hash marks in the scope. That makes it very handy for fast shooting.

Comment

The Vortex Vipers, Viper PST's, and Viper HS are different lines. Vipers have 1/4 MOA click, capped knobs, side focus, and very decent glass, at affordable prices, and great durability.

Viper PST's have all the features of a $2000+ scope, including zero-stop, target turrets, illumination, matching reticles to turrets, excellent hash reticles, positive clicks on the turrets that return to zero, etc.

Viper HS's are specifically for hunting, but with target elevation knobs, and capped windage turrets. They also have hunting reticles in them, as opposed to long-range reticles in the Viper PST's.

I would go with the smallest scope that has the best glass for my price range, including a quality mount.

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I'll take a look into all the suggestions as soon as I can, on the road a lot this week.

Comment

Hey! ME 2!

Mine is the other way around. Just ordered my Nightforce NXS 5.5x22 56 MIL DOT w/mounts-level & Degree wheel. Also called AA today to get ETA. Looking @ about 4 week for delivery of my new Grendel. Grin! Happy Days!

Comment

Just make sure you know that the Vortex Viper HS has 1/2" clicks for elevation and 1/4" clicks for windage. This is the only thing that steered me away from the HS line and I settled on the PST.

Comment

Working...
                  X