The Growing Horde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horde still growing, 280 new members this last month, another 8% increase.

Comment

When I first caught wind of another "standard" cartridge for the AR was coming out I was all over it. Of course, the 6.8 spc was first so I researched it extensively. At the time, I was unaware of the "off-list" AR situation here in California so I thought I'd never own another AR. This didn't lessen my interest in the cartridge, however.

Then I heard about the Grendel and it was all over. 6mm PPC derivative in an AR...game over man.

It just seemed like a better cartridge from almost any perspective. Not to say that I think guys who shoot 6.8SPC are unenlightened or anything. I just knew that the grendel would be the one I'd go after. Maybe because I had spent a lot of time reading about cartridges and their history that I felt it had a better bloodline, for lack of a better term, I don't know.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-16-2012, 01:00 AM.

Comment

When I was much younger, I used to get into those debates over which cartridge is better.. These days I figure it is best to just get them all..

Just picked up a very sweet .300 AAC

All that is left now is an upper in Beowulf and perhaps a 7.62x39..

Life is good.. flk k

Comment

Originally posted by fkleinbu View Post
          When I was much younger, I used to get into those debates over which cartridge is better.. These days I figure it is best to just get them all..

Just picked up a very sweet .300 AAC

All that is left now is an upper in Beowulf and perhaps a 7.62x39..

Life is good.. flk k
          I'm with you on that idea, a 17HMR would be sweet or a 9mm would be fun.

Comment

• Capt. Morgan

Originally posted by Whelenon View Post
            Horde still growing, 280 new members this last month, another 8% increase.
            OK, count me in. Two weeks ago I ordered my Grendel from Precision Firearms. A 16" carbine. It seemed like a better option than 6.8 based on ballistics and SD, and ammo costs seemed close enough. Mark at PF said mid-November, but from the other threads I have a feeling this may be ... optimistic.

One question for the Horde - I ordered both the EoTech and Vortex 1-4x with a QD base for the rifle. My thinking was the scope for the range where I shoot (200 yard max) and the EoTech for all other times/uses.

However, I am wondering if I should not have gotten the 4-16x scope in the event I ever want to hunt, or go to a longer range. But since I won't have room for a bipod, perhaps the 4x optic is better?

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Capt. Morgan View Post
              OK, count me in. Two weeks ago I ordered my Grendel from Precision Firearms. A 16" carbine. It seemed like a better option than 6.8 based on ballistics and SD, and ammo costs seemed close enough. Mark at PF said mid-November, but from the other threads I have a feeling this may be ... optimistic.

One question for the Horde - I ordered both the EoTech and Vortex 1-4x with a QD base for the rifle. My thinking was the scope for the range where I shoot (200 yard max) and the EoTech for all other times/uses.

However, I am wondering if I should not have gotten the 4-16x scope in the event I ever want to hunt, or go to a longer range. But since I won't have room for a bipod, perhaps the 4x optic is better?
              Welcome!

Where you hunt is probably a better indicator of what optic you need. Out west, you'll want more, in the thick stuff back east, you'll need less.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

I have a Vortex Strikefire for my 16" 6.5 Grendel and a Luepold Mark AR 3X9X40 for distance. I actually got to shoot my 16" 6.5 G out to 800 yards last month. On 9 power I could see a white 8.5 X11" piece of paper with 6" black circle at 800 yards. I think this size scope is as about as large as I want and sure lets me get the most out of my carbine. For close in and low light work it is a snap to swap out the Luepold for the Strikefire.

Comment

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                  I have a Vortex Strikefire for my 16" 6.5 Grendel and a Luepold Mark AR 3X9X40 for distance. I actually got to shoot my 16" 6.5 G out to 800 yards last month. On 9 power I could see a white 8.5 X11" piece of paper with 6" black circle at 800 yards. I think this size scope is as about as large as I want and sure lets me get the most out of my carbine. For close in and low light work it is a snap to swap out the Luepold for the Strikefire.
                  When going from the Strikefire to Scope and back to the Strikefire does it maintain the same point of aim(return to zero)?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

I've never lost zero when switching back and forth between optics zeroed for the same gun. I'm not saying it can't happen but I do make sure to put them on in the same position.

I'm not a serious competition long range shooter so I'm not anal about accuracy. Before making any kind of serious hunt I'd always want to check my zero whether I had swapped optics. I've read you can have 1 MOA change which is a lot if your shooting 800 yards. Shooting out to 300 yards I've never encountered a problem.

Comment

The Horde grew another 11% last month, 445 new members.

Membership has more that doubled since Feb., from 2121 in Feb. to 4478 today.

Active members has almost doubled, from 679 in Feb. to 1245 today.

Comment

• leopard6.5

This is a question for Bill W. or John H.: Is there a reason the member counter isn't changing anymore?

It was stuck on 4477 for quite a while and I wondered if it had to do with the spammers we were getting.

Also, on a completely different question( sorry Whelenon) why did the list of members online at any time go from being alphabetically listed to being random?

I always liked the alphabetical listing because it was easier to find if someone in particular was online in the forum. Just a thought.

Thanks.

Lee

Comment

Working...
                        X