• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

18" Barrel Rifle Length Gas System (RLGS) vs MLGS

There are probably very few 18" 6.5 Grendel barrels in a Rifle Length Gas System (RLGS) as opposed to a Mid-Length Gas System (MLGS).

RLGS is supposed to be smoother shooting.

MLGS is supposed to be more reliable with more bullet weights.

True?

Not true?

Opinions?

Experiences?
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

I have a Ballistic Advantage 18" barrel with a RLGS.
    It will not cycle with Wolf steel ammo. It ejects but will not cycle back enough to pick up a new round.
    I have not shot it enough to determine if it might get better with break in.
    I will not buy another 18" barrel with a RLGS.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

You happen to know their gas port size? I think that is the relevant issue.
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• bj139
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2017

I don't know the gas port size. I do know LRRPF52 recommended drilling it a bit larger. I will look up the past thread when I get around to it.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

Did a little Googling and one reviewer says it's 0.092-0.093, which is about the same as a 20" RLGS. So, I'd venture that it's slightly undergassed.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
            Chieftain
            • Oct 2016

From what I've been READING, the 18 MLGS system can be hard on the firearm components by increasing cyclic rate due to the lower dwell times. This also may be because they increase the port size for the shorter barrels. Haven't needed another barrel yet, so haven't done any specific research. PS would know. He's been commenting about this issue lately. I think he referred to experience gained in finding the reason for system failures in the field. I have been remembering things I read along the way incorrectly lately.

This for the next group buy design?
            Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• BCHunter
              Warrior
              • Jan 2018

My only experience is with the odin works 18" it has an intermiate length gas tube, in between a mid and rifle length.
              The only ammo it hasn't cycled is started charge reloads of imr 4198 of 23g, 23.5g and 24grains with the 95 grain vmax.
              I have not tried wolf in it and don't intend to.

When starting my build I was looking for an 18" MLGS but didn't find many available in my price range. I also wasn't aware of 18" being harder to tune the gas system. Coming from standard AR's were I have 2 18" MLGS that run great in .223 wylde.

Comment

• dpete
                Warrior
                • May 2016

My Odin Works 18" is Intermediate gas and shoots great. It seems they split the difference between mid and rifle length.

Comment

• Crusty
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2017

Hey BFT (in a somewhat related matter) my Satern 18" mid gas barrel with the .093" gas port that cycled crazy fast (and misfed and abused my brass) now performs normally since I made a restrictor that cuts the gas back to Bill Alexander's .077" spec. (with no other changes).

In a typical low pro gas block there's an internal bore hole connecting the barrel and the gas tube and I made a restrictor from a stainless bolt that fits snugly into that bore.
                  I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• Jakegsxr11
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2016

I run a Brux 18" RLGS (Rifle-Length Gas System) .094" gas port with JP Adjustable gas block, don't know how far open, but there is some left, I tuned it from closed . It functions perfectly with Hornady SST and Black, I have no intentions of running wolf.

Comment

• 98Z
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                      Did a little Googling and one reviewer says it's 0.092-0.093, which is about the same as a 20" RLGS. So, I'd venture that it's slightly undergassed.
                      I've got the Ballastic Advantage Mk12 profile barrel - 6.5 Grendel Mk 12 SPR profile, heavy stainless, rifle gas, measured out a 0.100" gas port diameter.
                      Only shot Hornady Black through it, and my handloads. Never a hiccup, not once. It does shoot quite smooth.

Also have this one, but the build isn't finished yet, and the barrel is unfired. Faxon midlength data: Faxon Firearms 6.5 Grendel gas port info: Match Series- 18" Gunner, 6.5 Grendel, midlength gas system, 416-R, 5R, Nitride, Nickel Teflon Extension - Gas Port diameter = 0.077".

Comment

• grayfox
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2017

Sold my 18" 6.5"ARP" barrel/upper, it was too finicky for me, rifle length gas. Didn't know at the time about gas port sizes, it was 50-80 ft/sec faster than expected but I couldn't get it to behave brass-wise. So I sold it.
                        The issues may have been the chamber or the port size or the RLGS, anyway I just sold it and started over. Don't want another RLGS 18-er, I can get an adjustable gas block to help with cycling if the port is too big.
                        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

JP uses RLGS 18" Grendel barrels and they work fine.

Biggest thing you have to look at with RLGS 18" Grendel is lighter projectile weights and loads, and what will cycle.

18" MLGS has a lot of plug dwell time since there is so much more barrel in front of the gas port, making the port pressure dwell longer, causing faster cyclic rate and more prone to early unlocking.

18" MLGS AR15s even in 5.56 are harder to suppress for this reason, let alone 6.5 Grendel with its higher case capacity.

Precision Firearms introduced an Intermediate Length Gas System 18" option a number of years ago.

Several years later, Odin Works introduced an 18" ILGS Grendel as well.

I have found that 18" MLGS .076" port will run Federal 90gr TNT well.

Medium-slow powder loads (like CFE223) pushing more towards max with 123gr noticeably increase the cyclic rate and recoil, as well as carrier bounce with 18"/MLGS/.076" ports.

95gr Controlled Chaos loads handle the best as far as cyclic rate and recoil in my Lilja 318 Wasp group buy barrel build with the JP SCS.

I need to tune my SCS to be able to handle 31.5gr of CFE223 under a 123gr AMAX, because the carrier just bounces hard off the extension during the return-to-battery cycle.

That rifle would be a great candidate for the Bootleg Adjustable carrier actually.

With RLGS 18" Grendel/.094" port, 100gr TTSX will run well since it's got a longer bearing surface and is harder to swage into the rifling.
                          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• keystone183
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2013

The original lilja group buy barrels, one of which was 319 i believe, were ~19" and ML. Not nearly as pleasant to shoot as a buddy's RLGS 18" Criterion. I vote 18" RLGS every day of the week and twice on sundays.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                              Administrator
                              • Feb 2011

So this shooting "smooth" is a real thing and not a gunnet myth?

Comment

Working...
                              X