• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by 98Z View Post
    How many rounds did the kid have in his magazine, Stan? How many spare mags were on him?
    Don't know, don't care, because it's quite immaterial. He was unable to shoot anyone else after killing himself.

Comment

• Tex Nomex
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

Yet another poisoned thread...
      smh
      "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
      -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Comment

• 98Z
        Warrior
        • Jan 2018

Yep, exactly. Somehow Stan knew the killer's intent, and declared that the shooting was over.

My opinion is: unless one knows how many rounds were remaining, you can't really assess that and declare it as fact. Bad guy with gun was stopped during his activity, by good guy with gun. It should also be noted that the SRO responded very, very quickly to this incident, and with "fire for effect."

Comment

• Kswhitetails
          Chieftain
          • Oct 2016

Back to the subject at hand:

I wouldn't ever worry about AD on a dropped or bumped AR. If this has ever been an actual issue, we'd know about it. AR's see service in the roughest places, in circumstances with the wildest demands on equipment, without such events being common. If the safety is on, the force required to make the pin strike the primer on a chambered round is so high, I can't fathom it. While possible, the likely hood is so low, that I wouldn't worry.

As far as the theft issue, an inconspicuous case, as already posted, would be most of the solution. I say most, because there's never any guarantee as far as pilfered goods goes. Just approach this with the same logic you use with any other item you leave in the car. I few months in, and you'll start trusting it like you do with the forgotten items you've been leaving behind all along. I wouldn't make a trunk gun out of an 80%, so that it would be factory serial #'d. I don't even want to think about having to report a gun stolen that - didn't have a serial number, that was loaded and ready, that had been stashed under the back seat and concealed...

Mine will have a custom viola case in which to reside, or some similar way to disguise it's actual form.

You will want some way to tie it down, so that it doesn't move or bounce on rough roads or under heaving braking/maneuvering. I plan on some large velcro squares on the bottom of the case and on the car wherever it finally takes up residence.

My intent is to have something at the ready for coyotes, or game I come across I can park and stalk across a field. I don't anticipate using it in any way as a defensive weapon, I carry my sidearm for that. If I win the unlucky lottery and wind up wanting it in such a situation, well it will be waiting on me to make that call I guess. Whats the saying, better to have and not need, than need and not have?
          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• wideglidejoe
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2014

Lots of good thoughts/opinions here, I enjoy reading/digesting all of them.

My personal preference; My EDC is a full size Kimber Custom 1911 .45, carried in Condition 1. It goes everywhere I go, unless I go into my son's school or any city/state/federal bldg. that prohibits it, then its in the car for a few mins. It goes with me into places such as malls or restaurants that have stickers on the door stating no guns, but concealed means concealed, and in my state, they can just ask me to leave, its not a felony. It's heavy (steel frame), but I love it, and I realize with a single stack mag, I need to carry a spare mag, so I do.

With situations such as Ferguson, MO, and more recently Sacramento, etc., a person COULD need more than two single stack .45 mags, but I always try to avoid places like that, I don't go looking for trouble. But IF trouble finds me, what to do? AR pistol. My first pistol upper is a 10.5" 5.56, I built it as a curiosity/range toy, but it has evolved. It now has a LAW folder and a Tailhook brace. When I take it in a vehicle, it goes in a Wilson tennis racket bag, b/c I can carry it loaded since its a pistol, but I can't carry a rifle or SBR loaded in a vehicle in my state. If I take it out of state, I don't have to get permission like I would a SBR. Now I've put together a 12.5" BA 6.5 Gr upper for it. I'm still in the process of fine tuning it, starting out trying a different buffer/spring combo, trying to avoid drilling the gas port larger, but I will if I need to. The way this thing feels and carries with a LAW folder & Tailhook, with a 12.5" barrel and a 2-7X32 scope and 45* BUIS, I'm thinking this is gonna be my most favorite AR of all!

I have a close friend who's an ex.mil LEO who lives down the street, I was showing it to him. With the LAW unfolded and the 12.5" barrel, he said "It's nice, but what's the point, why not carry a 16" carbine or SBR?" I said "can I carry either of those loaded in the cab of my truck?" He can! "Can I carry a SBR out of state, unexpectedly/unplanned, in the middle of the night?" Problem solved! The balance and feel of this 12.5" pistol may become my short range deer/hog gun, only bringing out the 18" 6.5 Gr for longer range hunting and target work.

Comment

• 98Z
              Warrior
              • Jan 2018

^^^ My sentiments, exactly. To a "T" on every bit of it.

Comment

• BjornF16
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                Uh, no. The shooter was shot after he had done the slaughter and was leaving the church. The mass shooting was not interrupted, let alone stopped, by Willeford.

Willeford certainly deserves credit for keeping the killer from getting away unscathed, but let's not engage in historical revisionism as to what he actually achieved.
                You're WRONG Stan...

Up to that point, Farida Brown had sustained only shots to her legs. But as the shooter fired into the woman next to her, she prepared to be slain.
                At that moment, she heard a shot fired from a different man, at the front door.
                The majority of news stories don't contain the full events. Willeford ran up to entrance of the church and shot once at the dirtbag, interrupting his slaughter. He then ran back into parking lot and took cover behind a vehicle as the dirtbag saw him at the entrance and moved towards him.

LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• BjornF16
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

https://www.louderwithcrowder.com/slate-downplaying-church-shooting-hero/

do what Slate does. Try to downplay them and make up your own.

someone who was actually there, instead.

"As Farida Brown lay on the floor in the last row of pews in Sutherland Springs First Baptist Church, the 73-year-old woman felt certain she would be the next one killed. At that moment, she heard a shot fired from a different man, at the front door.

The other man was Stephen Willeford, who lives near the church. Willeford, a certified shooting instructor, grabbed his own rifle and raced out of his house barefoot.

LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                  Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by BCHunter View Post
                    Ok, so I'm trying to think threw the pro's and con's of an AR Pistol,...Never held one or shot one so trying to anticipate uses before I start spending money on components. I don't know if I would ever use it for the reasons most state. And that building a 16" carbine as light as possible who be sufficient for my needs? Which is primarily hunting and varmint/predator control.

Those of you that say you use it as a "trunk gun"
                    1) How do you store it in the vehicle?
                    2) are you concerned about accidental discharge? Floating pin on a locked and loaded firearm bouncing down the road?
                    3) We have had vehicle break ins in my area, do you keep it in 24/7 or only in certain situations? remove it daily?
                    4) do you consider it a primary or secondary option as a defensive weapon?

Those that store it in a pack for concealment/transport how easy is it to access?

any pictures of your soulution for secure vehicle storage would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
                    Gents, let's keep all responses limited to the OP's questions, not political or other derailing topics.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                    X