Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here, scope question

Hi Guys,

I am new here and just put my order in for 2 6.5 Grendel's. Anyway, my question is for a scope for my father. His eyes are older than he is and I think he has trouble with some scopes. I am thinking about buying him a scope with an illuminated reticle to try out. ANy suggestions? Not even sure if this is a good idea. Would really like a reasonably priced scope as the 2 Grendels kinda took a chunk out of my fun money account. Thanks for your help fellas.

Rob
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

What's the intended use for the rifles? (Answering this will help get better recommendations.)
    Drifter

Comment

Sorry, we will be hunting whitetails in Wisconsin.

Comment

If it's for general hunting, my Dad's 80 and his eyesight requires a scope. I bought him a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 for Father's Day and he is totally in love with it. A lot of scopes have large objectives, but when you look through them, there's a lot of dead ring around the perimeter of the image. The Revolution has so little ring around the perimeter, the 4-plex reticle, while not lighted, really catches your eye and it seems to gather light very well. Of course, it's not tacticool but old timers generally are not as hung up on that as younger soldier wannabes.

It's a great value and backed by Redfield's warranty. Right now, Optics Planet has it on special through the 6th for $149.99 with free shipping. IIRC, you're in WI. I live in (TC Metro here). You're welcome to come by and look through it on his Browning .30-06 BAR if you want.

Hoot
        Last edited by Guest; 12-04-2011, 01:38 AM. Reason: added optics planet link

Comment

• leopard6.5

Hoz: Is there a rough price range you're looking to stay in?

Thanks, that should help us make better recommendations for you.

Lee

Comment

I would like to stay under $300 for his. Does not need to be a "Tacticool" reticle either. I really doubt he will shoot over 250 yds. I know he has complained about the Leupold 2.5-8 he has, but I think that may be because it is a 36mm (I think). Maybe a 50mm would do the trick. I guess I really dont know a ton about scopes. Right now I have 3-9's and a 4-12 on my guns with no issues, but I have good eyes (cant hear worth a chit though).

Comment

• Kikn
              Warrior
              • Nov 2011

I know its out of the price range but you should at least look at Trijicon Accupoint

Comment

If I had ordered one, not two Ar's, a Trijicon might be on it. They are great scopes

Comment

Pick up a walmart 4-16 x 40 Centerpoint scope for 70 bucks (you can all stop laughing now). That'll get ya by till you get a better one .... comes with mounts.

Comment

• jwilson1985

Originally posted by Mutt View Post
                    Pick up a walmart 4-16 x 40 Centerpoint scope for 70 bucks (you can all stop laughing now). That'll get ya by till you get a better one .... comes with mounts.
                    i shot with that scope on my 308 for a long time.even out to 840 yards so im not laughing, i bought it cause it was cheap i needed a scope and figured i had wasted my money. but held zero and it worked for 70 bux im not knocking it alot of my friends started using them after the seen mine... not what i have now but it worked for what i needed then

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

Most any scope works well enough for hunting out to 200 yards or so. Its in low light conditions where better glass really pays for itself. Faced with no scope or the Centerpoint, I'd be shooting a centerpoint!

The Nikon 223 series is pretty nice, and close to your range, too. Its a lot of bang for the buck.

Comment

Has anyone tried a Vortex Crossfire? I had a Viper and really liked it but sold it with a rifle I sold. I kinda want to have him try an illuminated dot and dont want to spend the cash for a Leupold VX-R in case he doesnt like it. This is for a Xmas gift or I would just have him pick one out.

Comment

• hellcat370

I picked up a UTG Accu-shot from Cheaper than dirt for my Robarms XCR last year. for a $100 scope i was pretty impressed with the clarity. Has a 30mm tube, so that might have helped. they dont have them in stock at this moment, but heres the link https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/Item...px?sku=SCP-621 it has both red and green for illuminating the reticle. it comes with rings, but get new ones, the ones i had were junk.

Comment

• bwaites
                            • Mar 2011

Crossfires have a great reputation and following. It will be the red dot on my 5.56.

Comment

I bought this combo from SWFA. The scope is a 1 X 4 30MM tube with a circle dot reticle that lights red or green. The mount is similar the the Burris p.e.p.r but comes with 1" ring inserts. This mounts the scope 2" forward for better eye position. I was in the same boat with the $ spend on the rifle and am very pleqsed with the scope and mount for $150.00.
                              SWFA is an optics manufacturing specializing in rifle scopes built for tactical, hunting, and long range shooting known for quality and precision optics.

Comment

Working...
                              X