• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobertFL
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

new 6.5 first time on range

I got a new 6.5 Grendel upper yesterday from Sanders Armory. It has a 16" Faxon Match grade Gunner barrel. I put the upper on a Core15 lower with a Rise 340 trigger. I had to go to the Public gun range, my Hunt club range will be open May 1st.
    I am an average shot at best... and being in a crowd dose not help. I bore sighted at 100 yards by looking thru the barrel and adjusting the scope. I loaded 2 Federal 120 grain bullets and sent them down range, both were 5 inches high and 1 inch left , moved scope, ran a few patches down barrel and shot 3 more Federals. Got a 1 1/2 inch group with 2 touching and one flyer,my fault.. flying hot brass from guy next to me bounced off my head... Ran more patches down barrel, Loaded 5 Hornady 123 grain SSTs, got a nice 1 inch group at 100 yards. I was happy with that and called it a day. 1st group 6.5.jpg
  • paulw
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2017

Call it a good day

Comment

• RobertFL
      Warrior
      • Feb 2018

Yes, I am very happy with this upper so far. I have a H2 Armaspec Buffer that I got to use with my 450 Bushmaster upper. I had no problems, no FTF, jams etc..bolt locked back on last shot. Brass was at 4 o'clock but case mouths were dented.

Comment

• 223kev
        Unwashed
        • Mar 2018

That was quick to get on paper and not a bad sounding day at the range!

Comment

• Bigs28
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2016

Dented case mouths is normal. Great job. Looks like you will be good to go for hunting.

Comment

• dpete
            Warrior
            • May 2016

Add some fuzzy stick on velcro cut to the shape of the face of your shell deflector. It will help prevent the dented case mouths.

Comment

• RobertFL
              Warrior
              • Feb 2018

Yes I was stoked when I hit paper that close at 100 yards, I put up a target at 50 but the wind blew it off before I was bore sighted..so I went with 100 yards. I have some black Velcro in my shop I can apply that before my next time out. I think I am going to get a H3 Armaspec buffer and look into a adjustable gas block or BCG. I have a APF 450 Bushmaster upper and another Core15 lower so the H3 buffer can be used there if it's too heavy in the 6.5. The Hornady brand SSTs shot nicely just like they do in my 450 bushmaster. But I will be looking at trying some other factory loads

Comment

• RobertFL
                Warrior
                • Feb 2018

Commucation during ordering and build was good with Sanders Armory. I know they are busy shop but still called me or replied to my e-mailed questions.

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

Well done Robert... and welcome to the horde!!!
                  You've got early onset Grendel fever I can tell.
                  Federal AE-90 TNT's are good practice ammo, I like the 123 sst's also.
                  If you handload there's a lot of info in the 2-volume Grendel handbooks at ar15 build box on this forum.
                  Even if you don't handload those books have a lot of info, best $40 bucks you'll spend on shooting IMO.
                  "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                  X