• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1Shot
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

First range trip with my 20" BCA upper.

I went to the range today just to sight in the scope and run some Hornady 123 SST ammo to test for function and to see how it would shoot. Good news is that it functioned great. Only had one miss feed on the second round out of one of my Ammunition Storage Components 15 round magazines but after that both of them ran perfect as well as the 4 round E-Lander. Bad news is that right now with the factory Hornady 123 SST I have a 6.5 Grendel SHOTGUN. I fired altogether 29 rounds today which included three carefully fired 5 shot groups and one 3 shot group fired very carefully. I am a very experienced rifle shooter so it was not me. Average 5 shot groups were 5 INCHES. I put this upper on my Bushmaster lower that has a CMC 3 lb trigger and with the 223 upper I can shoot 1/2 groups or better all day long. It seemed as if every shot was a flyer. It shot one shot above where I was aiming then maybe 2 inches lower and 2 inches to the left or about the same to the right then maybe one 4 inches below the first shot. The third 5 shot group it kind of settled into an up and down string. One shot high the other 4 inches below it then back up about an inch below the first shot then back down 3 inches. The last group was a 3 shot group and it shot first shot about 2 inches above POA second shot went abut 2 1/2 inches below POA and third went about 1 1/2 inch above and 2 inches right of POA. I came home and really cleaned the bore. I got a good deal of jacket flecks on the patches and some blue when I used Shooters Choice Copper Remover. I just hope that it is that this barrel does not like the Hornady 123 SST ammo or that at worst that this barrel needs shooting to come in. Next range trip I will give some hand loads a try now that I have a few cases to load. I have 120 Nosler Ballistic Tips and Sierra Pro Hunters as well as a box of Hornady 123 SST. I picked up some IMR 8208 the other day and I have W748, H322, H335, IMR 4895, Varget that is in the burn rate I think should work.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Varget is to slow for the 6.5 Grendel to get decent velocity. Winchester 748 and IMR 8208 XBR are your best choices for 120-123 grain bullets in the 6.5 Grendel. H-335 doesn’t give as high of velocity with 120-123 grain bullets but is good for lighter bullets as is H-322. I really like H-335 with 100 grain bullets like Nosler BT or Sierra Varmints.

You didn’t mention if you assembled your 6.5 Grendel or bought a complete upper. Check to make sure the barrel nut is tight. I bed my gas block and barrel with Blue thread locker (Loktite/Permatex) and make sure gas block is not hitting the hand guard. Also make sure the bullets are not striking the muzzle brake or flash hider and muzzle device is tight. Also a good idea to make sure the scope mount screws are torqued to spec.

If everything is tight maybe the barrel will wear in and the groups will improve.

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
      Warrior
      • Jan 2014

Return it ASAP

I just went through this with a brand new 308 Bear Creek ARSEnal barrel.

Wasted too much ammo and disassembled and reassembled with same results

Too bad really...

Comment

• 1Shot
        Warrior
        • Feb 2018

I got the upper as a complete BCA upper from Primary Arms. The scope is a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 and is mounted in a Burris AR-P.E.P.R. 1 piece extended mount and as instructed everything is torqued. Don't think bullet is hitting flash hider, I checked it for tightness when I first got it will check everything closer again when I get time. I hope I don't have to go through sending it back.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Unfortunately it’s a gamble with cheaper rack grade barrels. At least Primary Arms has excellent customer service!

I’ve got a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50 mil dot scope and it’s been a good scope.

Comment

• Ranchguy
            Unwashed
            • Sep 2016

I have a 16in BCA upper that is grouping exactly as you described. Furthermore it has done it with three different factory hornady loads and two of my hand loads. Purchased through Dark Horse and in the process of trying to return it now. Not gonna bother taking it apart. Hopefully BCA will get problem resolved.

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
              Warrior
              • Jan 2014

I replaced my brand new junk BCA barrel with a Ballistic Advantage barrel - happy now !

Here was my groups with the BCA:

6122BC3F-48B9-4160-8AF3-A4DD7CE2DE3F.jpeg
              F5490057-7148-4F17-B037-0B7ECCCABA01.jpeg

And after with the Ballistic Advantage barrel

84D3BC6D-3148-4545-9992-25A351317BF2.jpeg
              A53F4E12-ACA9-4E5B-9BC4-F1616484288E.jpeg

The above was factory ammo Sig Elite 168 gr OTM and handloads 165 grain Speer SP...

Comment

• 1Shot
                Warrior
                • Feb 2018

I am going to call BCA tomorrow about sending mine back.

Comment

• CVCOBRA1
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jan 2018

The above was factory ammo Sig Elite 168 gr OTM and handloads 165 grain Speer SP...

How did you get those logs in a Grendel case? Those are even a little heavy for a Creedmore...

Comment

• 1Shot
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2018

He is talking about a 308 Win barrel from BCA that he had to return. I called BCA today and was told to send them my invoice from where I purchased my upper and they would send me a UPS pick up slip. So I emailed them a copy and another email telling them that I sent them the invoice. Will see how long it takes.

Comment

Working...
                    X