• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Who makes AA 16and 18 inch barrels

Just was wondering if anybody knows who makes AA barrels especially the 16"and 18" inch barrels?

I think the button-rifled barrels have been E.R. Shaw, but Bill A. would have to give the definitive answer on the cut-rifled pipes.

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

Thank you . Montana

Comment

I have an AR Stoner 18" barrel. I'm very happy with it...

Comment

• Bill Alexander

We use multiple vendors for barrel blanks but most are processed in house now. Given that we define everything about the barrel from the steel and heat treatment upwards in order to maintain the quality we have much more input than a typical rack barrel.

The approach is applied accross the board to all our barrels, cut, button and CHF.

Comment

• pinzgauer
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bill Alexander View Post
            accross the board to all our barrels, cut, button and CHF.
            Does this imply you'll be selling a CHF M4'ish or 18" barrel? I'd like to see an M4 profile, no 203 cuts in CHF. And ideally 4150.

And matching MPI/HPT bolts?? :-)

Comment

• Bill Alexander

Yes we are running CHF chromed in .mil steel from a very eminent supplier. Barrels will be HP/MPI with the barrel extensions, but will have an M203 groove. Not going to do the bolts as the degradation of durability is not acceptable. Process traceability underwrites the bolt.

Comment

Could you boys explain some of your gobbly guck for the ignorant masses, CHF, HP/MPI, M203 groove, bolt traceability? Sorry, you're over my head and would like to get a feel for the discussion. Design has always tripped my trigger so a brief explanation would be appreciated. Thanks

Comment

• m796rider
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Bill Alexander View Post
                  Yes we are running CHF chromed in .mil steel from a very eminent supplier. Barrels will be HP/MPI with the barrel extensions, but will have an M203 groove. Not going to do the bolts as the degradation of durability is not acceptable. Process traceability underwrites the bolt.
                  Do you mean you will not HP/MPI the bolts being sold with the barrels, but instead will use non-salable bolts specifically designated to proof the barrels?

Comment

Originally posted by Whelenon View Post
                    Could you boys explain some of your gobbly guck for the ignorant masses, CHF, HP/MPI, M203 groove, bolt traceability? Sorry, you're over my head and would like to get a feel for the discussion. Design has always tripped my trigger so a brief explanation would be appreciated. Thanks
                    CHF: Cold Hammer-Forged. Totally different barrel manufacturing process that is recognized for its strength, minimal residual stresses, and accuracy. Very common in Europe.

HPT/MPI: High-Pressure Tested/Magnetic Particle Inspected. A 170% proof load in the 5.56 military bolts, barrel extensions, and barrels is discharged. Then magnaflux is introduced and inspected with electric current run through the parts, to see if they attract to an area of weakness that resulted from the high-pressure load, giving an indication. One argument is that the test itself reduces the life of the parts. MPI'd bolts usually fail after high-volume shooting at the lug areas, while non-MPI bolts used in high-volume fail at the cam pin hole in 5.56 guns.

M203 Barrel Profile (M4): There is a step down to a smaller profile just forward of the Front Sight Base on the M4, so the M203 mounting bracket could be secured in-place without sliding forward.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      CHF: Cold Hammer-Forged. Totally different barrel manufacturing process that is recognized for its strength, minimal residual stresses, and accuracy. Very common in Europe.

HPT/MPI: High-Pressure Tested/Magnetic Particle Inspected. A 170% proof load in the 5.56 military bolts, barrel extensions, and barrels is discharged. Then magnaflux is introduced and inspected with electric current run through the parts, to see if they attract to an area of weakness that resulted from the high-pressure load, giving an indication. One argument is that the test itself reduces the life of the parts. MPI'd bolts usually fail after high-volume shooting at the lug areas, while non-MPI bolts used in high-volume fail at the cam pin hole in 5.56 guns.

M203 Barrel Profile (M4): There is a step down to a smaller profile just forward of the Front Sight Base on the M4, so the M203 mounting bracket could be secured in-place without sliding forward.
                      Once again, you da man, thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X