What distance to zero scope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What distance to zero scope

I'm sighting in my scope on my new 16"grendel and was wondering what distance most people use to zero. I'm using this for deer hunting and the longest distance that I'll be shooting is around 250 yards with most shots hopefully around 100 yards. So should I zero at 200? If I do where will I be hitting at 100 and 250 with a 200 yard zero? I know that this is probably easy to figure out but I'm new to rifles and scopes and not sure how the ballistics calculators work.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

200 yard zero.

You'll be 2-3 inches high at 100 with most loads.

Comment

Look up "point blank range". That being said sight in so you hit 2.5 inches high at 100 yards. Depending on your load and how high your scope is above the rifle bore, you should be able to keep between3 inches low and high as far as you shoot

Comment

I personally dial my elevation and windage when I can, but I also like to know my PBR. On 5.56 guns, I prefer the 250m zero, which is something like 37m with M855 I think.

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
          200 yard zero.

You'll be 2-3 inches high at 100 with most loads.
          as said 2.3" Hi at 100 will get you zero at 200 and 9" low at 300 Assuming an approx 2600 FPS muzzle velocity

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'll plan on a 200 yard zero.

Comment

Might consider what kind of scope you have

I have found that the first strada after the major crosshair is almost always right on at two hundred and the third strada is on at three....but again would depend on scope

Comment

I will go against the grain a bit here and recommend zeroing at the distance that you expect to shoot at for hunting purposes. If you are expecting 100 yd shot, then zero at 100... My logic is this: I want my point of aim to be my point of impact at distances i plan on shooting. This is especially helpful for head and neck shots where a couple of inches matters. I dont want to be hitting 2.5" high at 100 yds if i plan on most of my shots being 100 yds! With a 100 yd zero, if end up taking a longer shot, a couple inch holdover isnt too big of a deal (or necessary for a center of mass shot at a medium sized deer).

Comment

I'd recommend a 300 yard zero for the 6.5G cartridge out of your 16 inch barreled rifle. Gives good hits at ranges out to more than 400 yards without excessive hold over, and no hold under.

Comment

• usmc1371
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2011

i zero all rifles i hunt with at 200yds. then i dial in the range over that. just killed a doe at 120 yds. its a no brainer there..point and squeeze......

Comment

Working...
                    X