• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TexasEric
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2017

Happy 4th! Gathering info for new Grendel Ar Build

Happy 4th gentlemen and ladies! May god bless our nation.

This build is for punching holes in paper, and eventually deer/pigs as well. Because of the possible hunting, it needs to be light and accurate. Currently have an AR in 308. My intent is to acquire a bolt based 6.5 Creedmoor after this build, so super long range is not needed.

I am planning on an custom 18 inch barrel, 1:8 twist, a rifle length gas system, and adjustable gas block. What is the best twist rate for this barrel length? What gas port size will help this shoot softer? Will a H2 style buffer system, and Low mass BCG help with Grendel's? What is a known good break for these as well?

I am a left eye dominate, so I am looking at an American Defense receiver set. They have a great ambi setup for it. I will go with some sort of trendy lightweight free float M-lok rail, probably from American defense again. Not sure how to cut large amounts of weight, and reduce recoil after that. Suggestions are welcome.
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

No need for a custom barrel. Just look at a JP 18" barrel kit direct from JP Enterprises and you won't have to worry about picking out a gas block, compensator, etc. I think his 18er is a little under 2 lbs. Mate it with a JP LMOS carrier and silent capture spring and you'll have a hard time imagining a sweeter, softer shooting rifle. Of course ther is that damn "budget" thing.......
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
      No need for a custom barrel. Just look at a JP 18" barrel kit direct from JP Enterprises and you won't have to worry about picking out a gas block, compensator, etc. I think his 18er is a little under 2 lbs. Mate it with a JP LMOS carrier and silent capture spring and you'll have a hard time imagining a sweeter, softer shooting rifle. Of course ther is that damn "budget" thing.......
      +1

If you want that custom barrel accuracy, JP and Lilja will get you there.

Comment

• TexasEric
        Unwashed
        • Jun 2017

I will play on the gun builder on their site. I will check on the budget damage.

Comment

• TexasEric
          Unwashed
          • Jun 2017

$2783 at 8.2 lbs. for a complete rifle is quite a bit of damage. I was planning on doing a suppressed 300 blackout SBR build first.

I will have to go another route, maybe a barrel kit/ muzzle break in an American defense receiver set. With JP low mass BCG, SCS H2 style. I will try to price this out later.

Or I can save till hunting season and sell my complete Fulton Ar10 rifle, that should get me more than half way there. The JP would be an upgrade. Choices...choices. I think Grendel and blackout seem like a potent combo.

Any more suggestions?

Comment

• Drillboss
            Warrior
            • Jan 2015

Grab on to one of the 20" Faxon barrels. They should be in production before long (if not already) and it seems that most folks were seeing sub MOA with the 16" barrels. You can get a good deal on a bolt through the group buy as well.

Comment

• TexasEric
              Unwashed
              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Drillboss View Post
              Grab on to one of the 20" Faxon barrels. They should be in production before long (if not already) and it seems that most folks were seeing sub MOA with the 16" barrels. You can get a good deal on a bolt through the group buy as well.
              Thank you

Comment

Working...
              X