Time to dress up the Barbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to dress up the Barbie

Okay, does the Alex arms piston 18" barrel upper deserve the Bushy Elite Tac 6-24x50 FFP mildot or the EoTech 522 with X3 mag and the Magpul sniper stock or a light weight SOCOM stock.
    Thanks
    Carl

What are you trying to do with it? I would get a Viper PST before getting the Bushnell Elite, since the PST's have zero-stop, and are in the same price range. A 6-24x50 is pretty big for an 18" carbine. 3-12x or 4-16x is where I would call it for max practical magnification with an 18" system. If you're going to ride the bench most of the time, the PRS is the way to go. If you are going to carry the stick around a lot, the SOCOM or Magpul ACS are great stocks for that, and still provide a great cheek weld.

I would only put an Eotech on a 16" or shorter Grendel meant for blasting, but wouldn't select one for this cartridge as of yet, until the Wolf steel cased ammo starts showing up.

Comment

I already have the Bushy and EoTech/3xmag. I also have Blackhawk 5-15x50 FFP mildot (rebadged weaver) on another rifle. I am basically going to use for hunting out to 600yds. I can move the scopes around with not problem. I was basically asking if the 18" barrel was worthy of the extended range of the 24 power? I will be toting it around a lot so it looks like the SoCom/ACS.

Comment

I personally would want a lower magnification range scope for hunting, with a large field of view, especially if we are talking about moving game and tracking their movement as they wander into your kill zone. A lot of the guys I know who shoot out to 1200yds with way higher power calibers on stationary targets still prefer a 4-16x56, or 3-12x56 Schmidt & Bender. Your FOV on 24x will be basically useless on moving targets that need to be tracked, unless they are waaaaay the heck out there, beyond the terminal ballistic potential of any cartridge with a 30gr case capacity.

Maybe the 3x/Eotech or the 5-15x50 would be a better fit for an 18" hunter. I guess the Eotech is easy enough to test out and see with the 3x if you have the drop compensator dots in the Eotech. If not, use the 5-15x50.

Comment

I am leaning to the eotech, it does have the drop dots but for 556. These are just the optics I have around the house. Looks like it will be musical scopes until I can make up my mind on it.

Comment

I would forget the idea of a magnifier.

Maybe you should consider something like a 1-5 power optic.

Comment

Well, it looks like I have time. My upper is on back order.
              The thing about the magnifier is that it is easy to remove and flips out of the way when not is use. But as was mentioned before that is more along the lines of a blaster setup. I think that the 5-15x50 will be going on there since she will be used for med range 200-800 yd targets. I have something else in mind beyond 600 yds (that gives me a little overlap).

Comment

Working...
              X