• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryeguy
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2017

6.5 Grendel Wolf Upper - A first for me

Yesterday was a good day. It marked my first pull of the trigger on a 6.5 Grendel cartridge. The morning and lunch was spent on the somewhat tedious but rewarding task of breaking in a Howa Mini and the early afternoon was devoted to getting familiar with a Wolf upper from AIM.

The upper sits on a PSA lower with some Magpul furniture. The trigger is polished milspec so it is okay. A UTG scope tops the works. There it will stay until I figure out what this rig is capable of. WPA was the ammo of choice in ACS mags.

My main objective for this round was to function check and get to know the Wolf a bit better. Mechanically, 50 rounds functioned perfectly. I should have put risers on the scope. It was a bit low for comfortable viewing and my cheek bone took hits.

Side bar: It has been about 10 years since I last shot Wolf steel case ammo. Nasty stuff back then. The chamber would get sticky and even the bolt head would foul with primer sealant. Not so now. It even burns reasonably clean. Accuracy was about as expected.

All in all, a great but windy day.

17-03-15 Wolf 6 5 Grendel.jpg17-03-15 Wolf tgt.jpg
  • pajasonc
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by ryeguy View Post
    Yesterday was a good day. It marked my first pull of the trigger on a 6.5 Grendel cartridge. The morning and lunch was spent on the somewhat tedious but rewarding task of breaking in a Howa Mini and the early afternoon was devoted to getting familiar with a Wolf upper from AIM.

The upper sits on a PSA lower with some Magpul furniture. The trigger is polished milspec so it is okay. A UTG scope tops the works. There it will stay until I figure out what this rig is capable of. WPA was the ammo of choice in ACS mags.

My main objective for this round was to function check and get to know the Wolf a bit better. Mechanically, 50 rounds functioned perfectly. I should have put risers on the scope. It was a bit low for comfortable viewing and my cheek bone took hits.

Side bar: It has been about 10 years since I last shot Wolf steel case ammo. Nasty stuff back then. The chamber would get sticky and even the bolt head would foul with primer sealant. Not so now. It even burns reasonably clean. Accuracy was about as expected.

All in all, a great but windy day.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8900[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8899[/ATTACH]
    I have a alexander arms barrel in a psa upper and psa lower. The psa stock trigger isn't bad, but I switched to a larue mbt and man that is a nice trigger. I have a aero precision light weight mount and a redfield revolution 2x7 on mine. Its a pretty nice budget setup. Think I found the scope for 150 and the mount was 60 or 65 shipped. Both together scope/mount weight 14 ounces.

Comment

• howl
      Warrior
      • Nov 2015

Yep, this Wolf steel case Grendel ammo is surprisingly nice.

Comment

• drewthebrave
        Warrior
        • Aug 2016

This is encouraging. I bought the Anderson barrel and convinced my brother and friend each to buy the Wolf upper. Can't wait to see how it shoots the cheap Wolf ammo

Comment

Working...
        X