• Sep 2016

the helos should be released soon also, waiting to see reviews on it
    just some targets for printing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Schrambo
      Warrior
      • Oct 2016

Based on my experience with the Argos, I'm also looking forward to the Helos/Ares releases...

Comment

• Foghornleghorn
        Unwashed
        • Mar 2017

I have the the Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 1-4X20 with FireDotG SPR on a M&P15. Perfect for that gun out to to 200 for me because I don't intend to shoot anything but hogs and varmints with it. Reticle is similar to the hog but it has a Green Dot in the center which is GREAT I love it. Scope is designed for the .223 to be be zeroed at a 100 and elevation turret is calibrated out to 500. This scope is similar to the hog I prefer this reticle to the hog. Ring in the center is easy to pick up and speeds up acquistion of the dot. Haven't seen a problem with the reticle at a 100. Worth taking a look at your mileage may vary.

Comment

• rebby
          Warrior
          • Mar 2017

I went with a Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 w/the FireDot #4 reticle and CDS for both of my Grendel's. Both of these are mounted in the Leupold Mk4 30mm IMS mount.

I recently had these on a hog/ram hunt in TX and both performed flawlessly. The illumination was really nice to have in the low light and the 6x zoom proved to be very versatile (I even made a shot on a big boar through thick cedars at about 75 yards). I strongly prefer a 30mm tube as well so, for me, this scope has it all (even mrad adjustments!).

I plan on running some loads through the chronograph this weekend so that I can order my free CDS dials. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they perform.

Sadly, Leupold discontinued the VX-6 in favor of the VX-6HD. The HD has some really nice improvements but I'm disappointed that they did away with both the #4 reticle and the mrad adjustment options. The jump in price isn't really that exciting either. Hopefully a few more models will be introduced as the HD product line matures.

I like the VX-6 so much that I'm really tempted to give the VX-R a look as well for a few of my other rifles. Would love to hear some thoughts on these if anybody has tried them.

Comment

• roo_ster
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2016

Originally posted by rebby View Post
            I went with a Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 w/the FireDot #4 reticle and CDS for both of my Grendel's. Both of these are mounted in the Leupold Mk4 30mm IMS mount.

I recently had these on a hog/ram hunt in TX and both performed flawlessly. The illumination was really nice to have in the low light and the 6x zoom proved to be very versatile (I even made a shot on a big boar through thick cedars at about 75 yards). I strongly prefer a 30mm tube as well so, for me, this scope has it all (even mrad adjustments!).

I plan on running some loads through the chronograph this weekend so that I can order my free CDS dials. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they perform.

Sadly, Leupold discontinued the VX-6 in favor of the VX-6HD. The HD has some really nice improvements but I'm disappointed that they did away with both the #4 reticle and the mrad adjustment options. The jump in price isn't really that exciting either. Hopefully a few more models will be introduced as the HD product line matures.

I like the VX-6 so much that I'm really tempted to give the VX-R a look as well for a few of my other rifles. Would love to hear some thoughts on these if anybody has tried them.
            Love the Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20 on my CZ550 in .375H&H:

Should be tough enough for anything shooting 6.5G.

I thought the VX-R line was an outgrowth of the VX-2 line? Are they really VX-6 guts?
            Regards,

roo_ster

"Drive Nature out with a pitchfork, she'll come right back, Victorious over your ignorant confident scorn."
            ----Horace

Comment

• rebby
              Warrior
              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by roo_ster View Post
              Love the Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20 on my CZ550 in .375H&H:

Should be tough enough for anything shooting 6.5G.

I thought the VX-R line was an outgrowth of the VX-2 line? Are they really VX-6 guts?
              You are correct, the VX-R is essentially an upgraded VX-2. The glass sits between the quality that you'll find in a VX-2 and a VX-3i. I'd expect that the bigger 30mm tube would brighten things up a bit making it "feel" closer to a VX-3i than a VX-2 though. The glass in the VX-6 is another step, or more, up from the VX-3i. What really intrigues me about the VX-R though is the illuminated reticle which is very similar (if not exactly the same) as what I have in my VX-6 and the 30mm tube (of which I've always been a huge fan). With the new price point of the VX-6HD however, it would be nice if a lower cost alternative was a good fit on some of my closer range and/or lower cost rifles (especially the ones that my kids use more regularly).

I tend to fall on the side of "optics overkill" with everything that I own (including my rimfires which wear VX-3's). What really pushed me in to the VX-6 was the fact that I will night hunt hogs from time to time, the 6x zoom is also fantastic. I can get all of this for less than half of what I have in my S&B Polar T96's without taking a huge step back in quality or even light transmission.

Comment

• stevebla
                Unwashed
                • Mar 2017

More power! Vortex great warranty http://www.cabelas.com/product/Vorte...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comment

• diddlyv
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2016

VX R glass is better than my 20 something y o VX 3
                  Queen of Battle
                  Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• roo_ster
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2016

Originally posted by rebby View Post
                    You are correct, the VX-R is essentially an upgraded VX-2. The glass sits between the quality that you'll find in a VX-2 and a VX-3i. I'd expect that the bigger 30mm tube would brighten things up a bit making it "feel" closer to a VX-3i than a VX-2 though. The glass in the VX-6 is another step, or more, up from the VX-3i. What really intrigues me about the VX-R though is the illuminated reticle which is very similar (if not exactly the same) as what I have in my VX-6 and the 30mm tube (of which I've always been a huge fan). With the new price point of the VX-6HD however, it would be nice if a lower cost alternative was a good fit on some of my closer range and/or lower cost rifles (especially the ones that my kids use more regularly).

I tend to fall on the side of "optics overkill" with everything that I own (including my rimfires which wear VX-3's). What really pushed me in to the VX-6 was the fact that I will night hunt hogs from time to time, the 6x zoom is also fantastic. I can get all of this for less than half of what I have in my S&B Polar T96's without taking a huge step back in quality or even light transmission.
                    1. The illuminated "pig plex" reticle in my VX-R is really nifty. And especially in lower-light scenarios. I thought I would be at a disadvantage in low light with the 20mm objective, but not so much. You can do the math, but here is a round-up:

scope ; min_mag ; max_mag ; obj ; exit_pupil_min_mag ; exit_pupil_max_mag
                    1.25-4x20 ; 1.25 ; 4 ; 20 ; 16.0 ; 5.0
                    2-7x32 ; 2 ; 7 ; 32 ; 16.0 ; 4.6
                    3-9x40 ; 3 ; 9 ; 40 ; 13.3 ; 4.4
                    3-9x50 ; 3 ; 9 ; 50 ; 16.7 ; 5.6

Sure, you lose some magnification with the 1.25-4x, but most the lower light hunting I have done is at shorter range in any case. And though I prefer a CNS shot on hogs, a 270gr RNSP though the thoracic cavity will also anchor hogs, seeing as how most times it leaves thoracic cavity contents _outside_ the hog.

2. I thought I was the "optics overkill" guy when I slapped Leupold VX-1 scopes on my rimfires. I no longer do that, now going with Bushnell 4x fixed power scopes (made for centerfires) with 32mm objectives on my rimfires and my Leupold VX1 scopes now float amongst my lesser centerfire rifles (lesser relative to the CZ550/.375H&H) to keep immediate family flush with scopes & rifles. [Leupold QRW low rings on all VX1 scopes and picatinny mounts on all rifles for the win. I can swap a scope and bore sight in minutes. Once my son zeroed in three rounds (adjusting between shots), though I made him confirm with a final 3-round group.]

3. The lesser VX-1 and VX-2 Leupolds are nothing to sneeze at. I had my heart set on a VX-2 when I ended up buying a couple VX-1 scopes instead for the price of a new VX-2. That was the year they improved the VX-1 with the previous year's VX-2 guts. Hard to beat $$$/performance-wise.

4. I am not savvy enough to determine if the 30mm tube gains anything over the 1" tube performance-wise. Especially with a 20mm obj.

In any case, good luck on your scope hunt.

Regards,

roo_ster

"Drive Nature out with a pitchfork, she'll come right back, Victorious over your ignorant confident scorn."
                    ----Horace

Comment

• rebby
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by roo_ster View Post

1. The illuminated "pig plex" reticle in my VX-R is really nifty. And especially in lower-light scenarios. I thought I would be at a disadvantage in low light with the 20mm objective, but not so much. You can do the math, but here is a round-up:

scope ; min_mag ; max_mag ; obj ; exit_pupil_min_mag ; exit_pupil_max_mag
                      1.25-4x20 ; 1.25 ; 4 ; 20 ; 16.0 ; 5.0
                      2-7x32 ; 2 ; 7 ; 32 ; 16.0 ; 4.6
                      3-9x40 ; 3 ; 9 ; 40 ; 13.3 ; 4.4
                      3-9x50 ; 3 ; 9 ; 50 ; 16.7 ; 5.6

Sure, you lose some magnification with the 1.25-4x, but most the lower light hunting I have done is at shorter range in any case. And though I prefer a CNS shot on hogs, a 270gr RNSP though the thoracic cavity will also anchor hogs, seeing as how most times it leaves thoracic cavity contents _outside_ the hog.

2. I thought I was the "optics overkill" guy when I slapped Leupold VX-1 scopes on my rimfires. I no longer do that, now going with Bushnell 4x fixed power scopes (made for centerfires) with 32mm objectives on my rimfires and my Leupold VX1 scopes now float amongst my lesser centerfire rifles (lesser relative to the CZ550/.375H&H) to keep immediate family flush with scopes & rifles. [Leupold QRW low rings on all VX1 scopes and picatinny mounts on all rifles for the win. I can swap a scope and bore sight in minutes. Once my son zeroed in three rounds (adjusting between shots), though I made him confirm with a final 3-round group.]

3. The lesser VX-1 and VX-2 Leupolds are nothing to sneeze at. I had my heart set on a VX-2 when I ended up buying a couple VX-1 scopes instead for the price of a new VX-2. That was the year they improved the VX-1 with the previous year's VX-2 guts. Hard to beat $$$/performance-wise.

4. I am not savvy enough to determine if the 30mm tube gains anything over the 1" tube performance-wise. Especially with a 20mm obj.

In any case, good luck on your scope hunt.
                      You're correct on point #4, all things being equal, the difference between a 30mm tube and a 1" tube doesn't affect light transmission. What would matter in that case is if "all things are not equal". The vast majority of 30mm tubes that I have experience with are top tier scopes like S&B, Kahles, Swarovski, Zeiss, and high end Leupold's like the VX-6 or MkIV. In these cases, all things are not equal. The glass is better, the coatings are better, the inner-tube light scattering is better managed, etc, etc. My hope w/the VX-R is that Leupold did more w/that 30mm tube than just give us more adjustability and used some of the same enhancements in that line as they do w/the majority of their other 30mm offerings. If they didn't, I wonder if the 30mm tube is simply to allow more physical space for the illuminated reticle? I guess that the simple way to answer this question would be to grab and VX-R and check it out side by side with other scopes of known quality.

Comment

• johnhefley
                        Bloodstained
                        • Nov 2014

Trijicon Accupoint 3-9X40. Awesome scopes. I prefer the one with the duplex type reticle vs. the triangles. I own one of each.

Also, for closer range shooting, the Vortex Spitfire 3X is a very nice unit.

jh

Comment

Working...
                        X