• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
    Lrr, i was thinking about the ultra 5 for a 12"sbr. Do you think that would be hearing safe or go up to the 7"? I know your graph is a 308 but 9db is allot. Also would you go with the 6.5 can or 30cal?
    For a gas gun, I would strongly recommend the .30 cal cans for 6.5mm bores due to back pressure.

For a bolt gun, the 6.5mm cans are like disconnecting an air tool from the hose with the Ultra 7.

For SBRs, you eliminate the insane muzzle blast and concussion felt around the area, with a much more tamed muzzle noise, nothing Hollywood like the Ultra 7 on a bolt gun.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• explorecaves
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      The 7" is unbelievably quiet on a bolt gun.

From what Bill A. and Ray said, the 5" doesn't have as much supersonic venting noise from the carrier with the Ultra 5, whereas the efficiency in noise reduction of the 7 works against you with the AR15 carrier.
      So you are telling me I need both; the 5 inch for the ar's and the 7 inch for the CZ.... At least that is what I am going to tell my wife when I have to explain the purchases.

Comment

• COTNTOP
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

I have the Ultra 7 and 9, probably use the 9 more between my 300WM and AR platforms. My selling point is weight, have some I do not use because of weight. Not much diff between the 9 and 7, can't imagine how light a 5 would be. Just make sure the suppressor works with the length and caliber of your rifle.
        Last edited by COTNTOP; 02-15-2017, 08:54 PM.

Comment

• Bh10
          Unwashed
          • Oct 2016

+1 for TBAC

Ive got one and love it.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
            So you are telling me I need both; the 5 inch for the ar's and the 7 inch for the CZ.... At least that is what I am going to tell my wife when I have to explain the purchases.
            Grendel muzzle pressure is lower, so the Ultra 5 will work very well on bolt guns too, but I'm not going to tell you not to buy 2 cans.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by COTNTOP View Post
              I have the Ultra 7 and 9, probably use the 9 more between my 300WM and AR platforms. My selling point is weight, have some I do not use because of weight. Not much diff between the 9 and 7, can't imagine how light a 5 would be. Just make sure the suppressor works with the length and caliber of your rifle.
              The Ultra 5 is so light, you have to feel it to believe it. The 7 is quieter for sure, and TBAC has taken noise suppression to new levels.

One of the main reasons PRS shooters prefer them is lack of POI shift and lack of group walking. If you saw the level of engineering and manufacturing that went into them, you would see why. They aren't just tubes with baffles in them assembled traditionally.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• COTNTOP
                Warrior
                • Mar 2011

LRR is so right about POI shift. Never gave it much thought but I have a 30PS that shifts 4in, at 100yd. The ultras show no shift that I have seen.

Comment

• Capt. Morgan
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  For a gas gun, I would strongly recommend the .30 cal cans for 6.5mm bores due to back pressure.

For a bolt gun, the 6.5mm cans are like disconnecting an air tool from the hose with the Ultra 7.

For SBRs, you eliminate the insane muzzle blast and concussion felt around the area, with a much more tamed muzzle noise, nothing Hollywood like the Ultra 7 on a bolt gun.
                  Ouch. Wish I had known that before I ordered my TBAC Ultra 7 in 6.5. Right now waiting on our friends at ATF to finish the paperwork while my suppressor sits in Suppressor Jail at the FFL.

My thinking was better suppression, and I have to admit rewarding a manufacturer that supported the 6.5 caliber. I'm using an Adams Arms gas piston, only one setting for a suppressor

Comment

• TKO
                    Bloodstained
                    • Feb 2017

Just ordered the TBAC Ultra 7 in 30 caliber.

It will see duty on a 16" .223, a SBR build .300AAC and my incoming 16" Precision Firearms Neptune VIII upper.

Thanks for helping me spend $$$$$ guys.

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

My thoughts on POI shift is that it is a clumsy indicator of quality. The 'free-bore boost' phenomenon almost guarantees a shift in POI. What is an indicator of quality is the size of the group with and without the suppressor attached. If the group is no bigger with the suppressor fitted then that is a pretty good indicator of lack of yaw from either run-out or turbulence introduced by the can. By lack of yaw I mean there is either no yaw introduced by the can or minimal yaw that has corrected itself from spin.

For those with suppressors one way to eliminate POI shift is to always shoot with the can attached. Zero with the can and shoot with it, always attached. POI shift becomes moot.

Comment

• TKO
                        Bloodstained
                        • Feb 2017

Last edited by TKO; 02-24-2017, 02:57 AM.

Comment

• GreyFox Ind
                          Unwashed
                          • Feb 2017

I love the Crux titanium suppressors. Repeatable and very lightweight. Both of these are Grendel's.

Comment

• Klem
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

Interesting marketing videos.

A lack of POI shift is visually impressive and used in the videos as a metaphor for the quality of the product. Again however, for me I want to see the average group sizes with and without the suppressor attached; so he needs to be firing at two different aiming marks.

Comment

• am4966
                              Chieftain
                              • Jul 2014

Why get the 5" tbac? It's not hearing safe, depending on where you practice you wouldn't need ear protection of using a different can. If hunting it'd be fine since it's better than no can. You have other options in the 6"-7" range, Crux, DeadAir, Rugged and TBAC just to name a few.
                              12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                              Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                              Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Klem
                                Chieftain
                                • Aug 2013

I put it to you that no high power, centre-fire suppressor is hearing safe. Damage can occur from an accumulation of sound as much as from one loud impulse. Workplace safety limits are around 80db for constant noise and anything above this will eventually damage unprotected ears. Multiple shots from any suppressed rifle above 80 will eventually damage unprotected hearing as much as a single shot that is 140 or above. Whether you end up with the 5" or 9" TBAC makes little difference to your ears if you are not wearing ear protection with both.

To my mind, one or two shots when hunting is worth it to leave the muffs behind. But at the range shooting you may as well put them on. You will thank yourself when you get old and cranky, like me!

I see Ray Sanchez, the TBAC employee in that video testing the different length suppressors (recent thread) was wearing black moulded hearing protection underneath that hoodie.
                                Last edited by Klem; 02-24-2017, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X