• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eldonkey
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2016

Suppressor recommendations?

Hello Horde,

I have the following upper on my Grendel. Can anyone recommend a decent suppressor?

20 inch BHW .264LBC, 1:8 twist, threaded. Aero Precision Upper, 15 inch Aero Precision quadrail, Seekins adjustable gas system, and a NiBoron bolt carrier and bolt

Thanks

Frank
  • explorecaves
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Dedicated can or used on multiple hosts?

Comment

• am4966
      Chieftain
      • Jul 2014

How much do you want to spend?
      12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
      Surge - Rugged Suppressor
      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Red Dawn
        Warrior
        • Nov 2016

Some things to think about to narrow your search would be : Do you want a direct thread or do you want a can that locks on. Is the weight of the can an issue. Do you want a minimal POI shift. Do you want the quietest can you can get. Research all these for each 30 cal can to help narrow your search. Remember this purchase is for a long time so get the one you really want. I would suggest Dead Air, Rugged, Griffin Armament, & SilencerCo to start with. Also SiCo is doing a $200 rebate for pistons or mounts or any accessories if you purchase a can right now too. Good luck.
        "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country." James Madison

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

The best can I have ever felt on a 20" Grendel is the ThunderBeast Ultra 5 .30 cal.

It doesn't even feel like there is a suppressor on the end of the gun, it is so light and it's astonishingly quiet.

It is all Titanium construction, with some very well-engineered baffles that are concentric.

With such a short can and .30 cal, there didn't seem to be much back-pressure either, and supersonic gas venting from the carrier is reduced more than the TBAC Ultra 7.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bwild97
            Warrior
            • Jan 2015

Do some research on Crux suppressors, I haven't witnessed one in action but i did get to fondle one. They have a 6.5mm specific in Titanium. They are also manufactured in Conre, TX.

Comment

• jdelong
              Warrior
              • Feb 2017

FWIW I have a pair of YHM Titanium QD suppressors and mounts for my 5.56, 6.8, .308 guns (and one in reserve for my soon to be 6.5G). I have the "original" QD Titanium and the ULT (smaller, lighter). The lock system is rock solid (ratchet lock) and they offer both muzzle brake and flash hider style adapters. Their warranty (never had to use it) apparently is no questions asked. I probably have 8-10K rounds on the "original" QD Titanium and maybe half that on the ULT, no issues. They run about $800 or so plus $60-$75 for the adapters (one ships with each suppressor). I'd have no reservations about getting another one or recommending them to others.

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
                Warrior
                • Feb 2017

YHM seldom gets any love... I've been VERY pleased with the two YHM cans I have. The Phantom LT is a great value in my opinion. The looks of the mounts don't bother me... some dislike them.

This is the YHM LT on an Aero M5 build...

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

There's a reason I posted what I posted.

TBAC Ultra 5 (5" long): 7.6 ounces

Silencer Co Harvester: 11.0 ounces

YHM QD Ti: 15 ounces

Dead Air Sandman Ti: 16.6 ounces

YHM Phantom LT: 20 ounces

These numbers are from a 20" .308, which has way more muzzle blast and muzzle pressure than 6.5 Grendel. When I heard 20" 6.5 Grendel through the Ultra 5, it sounded like a rimfire.

For comparison with muzzle brakes, my Warped Titanium brake with 44 .250" ports and 8 longitudinal bores in it weighs 3.7 ounces.

My YHM QD Steel flash hider without thread protector weighs 4.2 ounces

An M16A1 birdcage flash hider weighs 2.0 ounces.

So you can have some of the most quiet levels of suppression, with a few ounces more than a common muzzle device, and only add 4.2" of length to your rifle with the TBAC Ultra 5, and have minimal POI shift-the best company in the industry when it comes to POI shift really.

There are many reasons why TBAC are the most popular suppressors used within the top 50 PRS shooters. http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/0...st-suppressor/

They will run you about $1025, compared to the bigger, heavier, louder suppressors, but I feel they are ideal for 6.5 Grendel.

I've shot and used a lot of different suppressors not only here in the US, but abroad, and the TBAC ones are what I compare everything to now, especially in the weight department.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• TKO
                    Bloodstained
                    • Feb 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    The best can I have ever felt on a 20" Grendel is the ThunderBeast Ultra 5 .30 cal.

It doesn't even feel like there is a suppressor on the end of the gun, it is so light and it's astonishingly quiet.

It is all Titanium construction, with some very well-engineered baffles that are concentric.

With such a short can and .30 cal, there didn't seem to be much back-pressure either, and supersonic gas venting from the carrier is reduced more than the TBAC Ultra 7.
                    Okay, you sold me.

To utilize this can on both a 6.5 Grendel and a 5.56 NATO upper would I just purchase two 30CB flash hiders (one 5/8"x24 an one 9/16"x24) with corresponding peel washers?

Comment

• explorecaves
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

That's a significant jump in dB reduction from the 5 to 7 inch version (every 10 dB is exponentially louder).... I may have to get a 7 inch....

Comment

• Bigs28
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2016

Lrr, i was thinking about the ultra 5 for a 12"sbr. Do you think that would be hearing safe or go up to the 7"? I know your graph is a 308 but 9db is allot. Also would you go with the 6.5 can or 30cal?

Comment

• keystone183
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2013

I have no experience with the Ultra5. I do have an Ultra7 30cal, and i have a SAS Barricade which is a 6.5mm suppressor and is 6.5" long. To my ear, on my 12.5" SBR they sound about the same. I might give the edge to the Barricade for a more pleasing tone to me. But they're close. Both are also still loud. I'd say like shooting 22mag or maybe a touch louder.

I don't recall, but i want to say the figures i've seen are that the action noise alone on an ar is around 110-120 db. And that is right at your ear, every time. You just need to have the correct expectations going in as to what the suppressor is for and what it will do for you. I have several other cans and i will say the TB ultra7 has always gotten the most use, although the barricade is probably the new go-to. The market is full of competition and innovation now though, but knowing what you're getting before you get it is the trick!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
                            That's a significant jump in dB reduction from the 5 to 7 inch version (every 10 dB is exponentially louder).... I may have to get a 7 inch....
                            The 7" is unbelievably quiet on a bolt gun.

From what Bill A. and Ray said, the 5" doesn't have as much supersonic venting noise from the carrier with the Ultra 5, whereas the efficiency in noise reduction of the 7 works against you with the AR15 carrier.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by TKO View Post
                              Okay, you sold me.

To utilize this can on both a 6.5 Grendel and a 5.56 NATO upper would I just purchase two 30CB flash hiders (one 5/8"x24 an one 9/16"x24) with corresponding peel washers?
                              Get whatever matching threads you have on the barrels you have with the TBAC brakes, and you can move the can back and forth.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X