What's everyone's fav STURDY FF hand guard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph5
    Warrior
    • Oct 2012

I have a Wilson Combat Trim rail on mine and really like it. The barrel nut that is used is a very large steel one.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by The Profit Joseph Sith View Post
      worthen86ford
      Unwashed

My 5.56 16" mlgs ran great with a carbine buffer. My AA 6.5G 16" mlgs needed the H2 and honestly might warrant an h3. The Grendel ran hard enough to walk my MI handguard off the barrel nut when propped on bags using the standard buffer. I'd find what works best for each and keep the buffers with the uppers. It takes no time to swap them out.
      That happened with the MI hand guards on 5.56 guns too-I've seen it in my courses. If you didn't blue Loctite the hand guard to the barrel nut, it would walk off, especially bipod-supported.

MI made an upgrade to the hand guard with a metal bracket that is pinched between the two halves of the compression joint, and that bracket wraps partially around the back end of the barrel nut, while indexing/centering on the upper receiver just under the circular for the barrel extension tunnel.

My older MI Gen II SS has never walked on my Lilja 318 Grendel, which I shoot a lot.

These type of hand guards may not be the best for rigidity because they attach to the barrel nut, which is why I mentioned the Aero and Seekins upper/handguard combos on page 1.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
        Warrior
        • Nov 2016

Thanks LRRPF52 (and others) Exactly the type of info I was looking for. I noticed those clips in the install videos. Thought they were just to keep them clocked. I'm not a huge fan of the littke tabs and clips and stuff like that. Its looks to me like the way they (MI typically) went about their split ring clamp style puts ALOT of stress very localized but the cut/split not spread around the circumference.

My buddy has a few of the M4E1's i guess ill have to check them out. Those barrel nuts look kinda heavy. But I'm willing to compromise for a good setup. I'd kinda prefer a mkre standard setup for repairability as well. But same thing there. Kinda thinking about the Odin billet upper for two since its 7075 instead of 60 series. We'll see.
        I have been looking at the AP handgaurds without the M4E1 and adapter nut they are a good price.
        I definitely would consider or plan on using it with a bipod or barricade but I'm trying to switch to a bag support. Just keeping my options open.

Thanks for the info everyone as usual much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
        X