• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pajasonc
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

Looking at a upper for hunting

Considering a complete upper for hunting. Main question is weight. I have a standard PSA lower with magpul furniture waiting for a upper. Is it reasonable to expect that a upper with a light scope(like a redfield revolution 2x7 11 ounces) and the lower will come in at 7.5 lbs unloaded. Can I get this weight with a 18" or 20" barrel. thanks
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

My 18' Lilja 318 barreled Grendel weighs 7lbs 12oz with NightForce UniMount and Vortex 2.5-10x32 Viper PST MRAD FFP SF.

It's one of the most capable AR15 packages imaginable, since it reaches out to 1000yds with ease, while still being very maneuverable and well-balanced.

It is now my go-to rifle when I reach for something in the armory.

I used an Aero no forward assist M4 upper, MI Gen II free float hand guard, nitrided PF BCG, low profile Sadlak gas block, and PF Nitrided flash hider, with a BCM Gunfighter charge handle.

If I really wanted to make it even lighter, I could have gone 2A Armament Balios Lite receivers, lightweight bolt carrier, Titanium pins/gas block, lock ring, and 2A end plate.

As it sits right now, I think the weight and recoil balance are perfect, especially with the JP Silent Captured Spring.

Last edited by LRRPF52; 02-04-2017, 01:57 AM.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• pajasonc
      Warrior
      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      My 18' Lilja 318 barreled Grendel weighs 7lbs 12oz with NightForce UniMount and Vortex 2.5-10x32 Viper PST MRAD FFP SF.

It's one of the most capable AR15 packages imaginable, since it reaches out to 1000yds with ease, while still being very maneuverable and well-balanced.

I used an Aero no forward assist M4 upper, MI Gen II free float hand guard, nitrided PF BCG, low profile Sadlak gas block, and PF Nitrided flash hider, with a BCM Gunfighter charge handle.

If I really wanted to make it even lighter, I could have gone 2A Armament Balios Lite receivers, lightweight bolt carrier, Titanium pins/gas block, lock ring, and 2A end plate.

As it sits right now, I think the weight and recoil balance are perfect, especially with the JP Silent Captured Spring.

Thanks what complete uppers that are lightweight would you recommend. Looking to keep the upper under 800, not including optics or mounting accessories. Also would like a 18" or 20" barrel. Don't really have the tools or time to build right now. But it could be a option as I probably won't buy, unless I find a great deal, until PA confirms the preliminary decision to allow semi auto's.

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

Alexander arms is a good place to start looking at uppers

Comment

• Les
          Warrior
          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
          Alexander arms is a good place to start looking at uppers
          +1 on Alexander Arms uppers, the incursion is light and is below your price point.
          Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• kb18no1
            Bloodstained
            • May 2015

Precisionfirearms.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Yeah, AA has uppers in the $600 and change price range, ready to drop on.

The Transformer hand guard is an excellent option to upgrade to. I handled one at SHOT, and it was perfectly slim, super lightweight and comfortable.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• dammitman
                Warrior
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

how much would just the parts exactly as described to build that today including the optics? no labor or tools, just order the parts right now?

Comment

• hikfromstik
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2016

I don't know if your proficient in AR15 building , but you could build a sweet upper for $800 .

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Lilja 318 barrel (no longer available, but 319 is and is heavier): $480. Closest thing available for weight is the JP 18" Lightweight
                    Aero upper: $80-$120 depending on where you find it
                    PF BCG: $160
                    PF Phalanx flash hider: $49
                    DD Gen II SS: $150 (I would get a more modern MLOK hand guard from them instead now that they are available, the Gen 3 MLOK.)
                    Sadlak or Brownell's nitrided low profile gas block: $20
                    Gas tube: $11
                    BCM Charge Handle: $50
                    Ejection port door: $12
                    Cerakote FDE on upper and hand guard

NightForce UniMount: $252
                    Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 MRAD FFP SF: Discontinued, replace with new Gen II Vortex Viper PST with Razor zero stop, 2-10x32. Those are supposed to be available this summer I think, and they are improved over the Gen I Viper PSTs substantially. Suggested retail on the new Gen II PST 2-10x32 is $1249, almost twice as much as I paid for mine.

They invested in robots custom-built to epoxy their lenses in place, so they are worth every penny even at full retail.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• dammitman
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2012

looks like $2553.00 for the gun not including any cerekote and or tax and or shipping for various items shipped from one source or another. its the price paid for that kind of gun. cerekoting is probably another 300 plus depending on if one wants the scope done and if you find a buddy who does it or a professional. I'm kinda out on the buddy system,,,,,just pay and get shit done right. I really like the drab color, it just disappears in the woods
                      Last edited by dammitman; 02-04-2017, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• Rickc
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2016

Check out JP rifles rifle builder program. See all your.options and their cost

I have.been very pleased with my JP 18" lightweight grendel barrel

Comment

• jim_bob
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2014

If you are really just looking for a hunting rig, get an AA 16" upper, or even better, hop on the Faxon 16" group buy and build it yourself! You don't need an 18 or 20 inch pipe to hunt whitetail deer with a Grendel. My go to hunting Grendel is 11.5". I cleanly killed a nice doe at around 190 yards last year with a single factory Hornady 123 grain SST. A 16" barrel will make a mighty fine hunting blaster.

Comment

• Sticks
                            Chieftain
                            • Dec 2016

If one spends the time shopping around and waiting for sales and what not, you can get it done fairly cheap. My Complete Mk12 with Centurion (Crane) Barrel landed at $1800, with a PRS stock and Geissele FCG. Another $850 for glass and mount.
                            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

Working...
                            X