• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buck2732
    Warrior
    • Feb 2012

Building an AR based Grendel

Ok folks I am going to ask this question, as I now no longer live in the UK, for the next four years at least I will be living in France.

Ok so I already have a straight pull AR15 in .223Rem so I have a lower with either the Magpul PRS sock or the original A2, with an Jewel trigger. What will I have to change to get the upper to function with either a piston (my preferred option as all the other weapons I have used perviously over many years service had them) or DI set up.

I am guessing its only the return spring and buffer. Given thats all it is (a guess) I could do with being educated.

There are a lot of "if" questions. For example, if I can find someone to export (or get one built) an upper to France.
    Last edited by Buck2732; 01-13-2017, 10:15 PM.
    Buck2732

"You will know you are in a nuclear attack by the bright flash, loud explosion, widespread destruction, intense heat, strong winds and the rising of a mushroom cloud".

"I have no idea what weapons will be used in the next world war... but I do know that world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones". A Einstein.

PER ARDUA
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Depending on how much you are changing.

If you are looking to drop an upper on there, all you need is the correct bolt, and you can use the carrier from your .223. Everything else would stay the same on the lower.

For a conversion to Gas Piston, Adams Arms makes a conversion kit consisting of gas block, piston assembly, and carrier. I know of one individual that has put this kit to the test, and has converted all but one of his rifles over to it (works for him), and he shoots about 1k rounds a month. Still no changes to the lower.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• ahillock
      Warrior
      • Jan 2016

Barrel, bolt and magazines + ammo. All you need to swap. Very easy to out a upper together yourself if you have the basic tools.

If you get it going, I would be curious to learn you experience of owning an AR in France. I assume you are an ex-pat moving to France for work? How do their laws work for firearms?

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by ahillock View Post
        Barrel, bolt and magazines + ammo. ....
        Mags..

Thank you for posting that. Did not even occur.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• jim_bob
          Warrior
          • Jul 2014

Barrel, bolt, mags and ammo are all that is needed to go from 556 to 6.5 Grendel in the AR platform. I do not have experience with piston systems so I don't know what is required to convert a DI lower to work with a piston system.

Comment

• Buck2732
            Warrior
            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by ahillock View Post

If you get it going, I would be curious to learn you experience of owning an AR in France. I assume you are an ex-pat moving to France for work? How do their laws work for firearms?
            If I can do it I will let you know. ARs in .223/5.56 are quite common over here and no more trouble to qualify for. Than the licence I have for my bolt action rifles in the UK.
            Buck2732

"You will know you are in a nuclear attack by the bright flash, loud explosion, widespread destruction, intense heat, strong winds and the rising of a mushroom cloud".

"I have no idea what weapons will be used in the next world war... but I do know that world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones". A Einstein.

PER ARDUA

Comment

Working...
            X