• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1911man
    Warrior
    • May 2015

AR15part.com barrel test and 123 ELD chronograph numbers inside

Some of you may have read my previous thread discussing the headspace of a Type 1 bolt on a SAAMI chamber. I started that thread because I was debating buying a 20" stainless steel grendel barrel from AR15part.com that they claimed was an SAAMI chamber but I couldnt figure out why it would have a type 1 bolt. Long story short I bought said barrel for $180 shipped and taxed to my door and installed it an upper I have designated for another barrel im waiting on.

This is a range report on my second time out shooting boxed ELD and some AR Comp loads I worked up. I have chronograph numbers for all except my last loads of AR Comp because it got too dark for the Chrono to pick up the shots. I also got the occasional ERR message on the chronograph so those shots did not record.

I now have exactly 4 boxes of 123 ELD boxed ammo through this gun which would be 8; 5 shot groups except I spent most of my time sighting in during my first trip to the range so I only got three groups at that time. I got 4 more today and they averaged out to almost exactly 1". In most of those groups I had 3-4 shots inside 1/2 MOA but the total group measuring just at or just under an inch. No beautiful 1 hole groups to report but I am very happy considering it is boxed ammo. The chronograph also showed I averaged out to 2513 fps over 18 recorded shots. There were moments of rolling clouds so I question a few of the readings but overall it was pretty consistent. I can post all 18 shot velocities if someone wants to see them.

I then shot 5 shots of 27.1 grains of AR comp with a 123 ELD in Hornady brass, CCI 450 primer, 2.250 OAL. This was just designed to be starting load as I have worked with this powder before. The group was 1.14" and the average velocity was 2424. Since I only shot 5 rounds this was not a great sample size but I had no intention of this being my load because of the low velocity. Just needed a starting point.

I then shot 10 rounds of 27.5 grains with the rest of the recipe being the same. This load averaged 2445 fps. The two 5 shot groups were tighter in pattern but measure about the same as the last at 1.16" and .850".

My next load of 10 was 27.9 grains of AR comp with the rest being the same as the last. I am disappointed that I didn't get a chance to put this load to a good test. It got pretty dark and I couldn't see my target well. I went ahead and shot but I only got 4 recorded velocity readings on the chronograph. My first 3 shots were in 1 hole but as it got darker I couldn't even see the black dot on my paper. I did manage to put the next 2 within 1 inch of the target but who knows if I kept the same point of aim. I went ahead and threw up 3 more rounds on another target and they were in a real tight group but I really couldn't see well enough to know how well I held on those shots. I have the three shot picture mislabeled 27.5 grains, it took me a minute to sort out which target was which load when I got home. The 4 recorded speeds were 2462, 2474,2458,2454. Who knows how accurate this data is with almost no sunlight.I will definitely take this load out again to test and I will likely step up the charge to see how far I can go with AR Comp. My other grendel likes 28.3 grains but I can also load the cartridges a little longer in it.

Overall I am pleased with this barrel, especially at the price I paid. I know now they are selling it for $199 but I would gladly pay that for it again. It was also in stock and I received it in like 3-4 days. I have included a picture of some of the targets as well as the gun. The Razor HD scope, Bear creek arms upper, and the hand guard are supposed to go with my Criterion barrel I ordered from PF 11 weeks ago. When that barrel comes in I may just sell it.

Oh also, the gun with optics weighed 9.4 lbs. With my Razor HD, ADM mount, bipod, and magazine it weighs 13.8 lbs. I also weighed it with my Leupold Mark 4 on it with bipod and magazine and it came in at 12.4 lbs so the Razor and the mount add alot of weight. I can still easily carry it around at 13.8 lbs but I am used to my 16 lb competition gun.
    Attached Files
  • Ryan
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2015

I'm interested to hear how your load development goes. I have the same barrel and am having trouble getting a load that will stay inside 1moa. So far I have used 120gr tsx, and 123 sst. With cfe 223 and imr 8208 xbr.

Comment

• 1911man
      Warrior
      • May 2015

Have you shot boxed ELD ammo through yours yet? If so we're your results similar to mine?

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

20" with a 123gr factory Hornady load will normally give you speeds that are in-line with your results.

I've seen as high at 2602fps with one particular Lilja barrel with 123gr SST factory in maybe 80* weather.

Your AR Comp loads track well with the data in Volume II.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Ryan
          Unwashed
          • Dec 2015

No. I only shot 2 boxes of factory ammo through it and have been reloading since. Anything 6.5 is pretty slim pickings here but I did just pick up some 95gr vmaxes and got some 1hole groups with 8208. My problem so far has been getting consistent accuracy out of a hunting bullet. I plan to use the Grendel for mule deer this year. Sounds like I may have to get some eld online

Comment

Working...
          X