Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jgloveracob

264 lbc with grendel dies?

Building a grendel. If i buy a 264 LBC would I lose any accuracy by reloading with grendel dies?
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

No, same dies, marked differently is all.

Welcome!

Comment

• Jgloveracob

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
      No, same dies, marked differently is all.

Welcome!
      I see...Thanks.

Has anyone had experience with these barrles? How good are they?

Comment

Originally posted by Jgloveracob View Post
        I see...Thanks.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Prod...4LBC-AR-Barrel
        First I've heard of them. I wonder what they mean when they say, "Nano ceramic bore coating". Otis was marketing a system like this up until last year, with the flashy ads in various gun rags, using the same company that does the ads for Counter Sniper, which is a well-known non-starter. I had Otis scan my badge at 2010 SHOT with a specific request for info on their bore liner ceramic system, but they never followed through, and it seems as if the nano liner treatment has been discontinued with no reason given. Customers were also told that they weren't getting their orders because it was all being sent to the troops in the Middle East.....ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!! What a crock! "Hey troops, did you apply your nano-ceramic bore-liner to your M4's at the range this week?" ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

I don't mean to dog the snake oil salesmanship. Maybe Kies actually has a different nano-ceramic metallurgical process that fits into a $218 barrel. If it had a rifle-length gas system, I might even try it.

Comment

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Prod...4LBC-AR-Barrel
          I ordered this same barrel directly from KIES along with a gas block, trigger, compensator, bolt and carrier group, charging handle, some magazines, and trigger guard for my rifle project.

First of all, this is my first AR ever. I think I had fired one once but that was a long time ago. So please take that into consideration as you read further. I have been lurking on this forum for a while doing research for my project and this is my first post here.

Everything I received from him looked really good. The machine work was well finished and everything was delivered on time. When I talked to him I told him that this was my first AR and he offered his recommendations but did not push any of his products on me when I told him that I had a different component in mind. The barrel I got had a dimple where one of the setscrews on the gas block sets when tightened. This made me feel a lot better about getting the gas block aligned when I was assembling my upper.

As for the nano ceramic coating. I have no idea if its snake oil or not. I will clean the barrel according to their instructions and see how it works out.

I fired my rifle for the first time today and everything went very well. Because I have not been able to find any factory ammo up here I loaded up 25 rounds with the Hornady A-max and the lowest charge of H335 published in the Hornady manual to sight in the scope. My dies are the 6.5 Grendel Hornady dies.

With the first few rounds it seemed like the feed ramps on the barrel extension were making marks on the brass. My last rounds do not have the same marks on them. I fired 25 rounds this afternoon. Again this is my first AR so I am not sure if this is normal for a new barrel/barrel extension or not.

That, in a nutshell, is my experience with the KIES barrel.

Enjoy your build.

Comment

• Jgloveracob

Originally posted by BDOW View Post
            I ordered this same barrel directly from KIES along with a gas block, trigger, compensator, bolt and carrier group, charging handle, some magazines, and trigger guard for my rifle project.

First of all, this is my first AR ever. I think I had fired one once but that was a long time ago. So please take that into consideration as you read further. I have been lurking on this forum for a while doing research for my project and this is my first post here.

Everything I received from him looked really good. The machine work was well finished and everything was delivered on time. When I talked to him I told him that this was my first AR and he offered his recommendations but did not push any of his products on me when I told him that I had a different component in mind. The barrel I got had a dimple where one of the setscrews on the gas block sets when tightened. This made me feel a lot better about getting the gas block aligned when I was assembling my upper.

As for the nano ceramic coating. I have no idea if its snake oil or not. I will clean the barrel according to their instructions and see how it works out.

I fired my rifle for the first time today and everything went very well. Because I have not been able to find any factory ammo up here I loaded up 25 rounds with the Hornady A-max and the lowest charge of H335 published in the Hornady manual to sight in the scope. My dies are the 6.5 Grendel Hornady dies.

With the first few rounds it seemed like the feed ramps on the barrel extension were making marks on the brass. My last rounds do not have the same marks on them. I fired 25 rounds this afternoon. Again this is my first AR so I am not sure if this is normal for a new barrel/barrel extension or not.

Enjoy your build.
            What were your groups like?

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BDOW View Post

Enjoy your build.
              Great first post! Thanks or the info on a new player! Please fill us in on how the barrel is to clean, and your impressions as you shoot it more!

Welcome to the boards!

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                Great first post! Thanks or the info on a new player! Please fill us in on how the barrel is to clean, and your impressions as you shoot it more!

Welcome to the boards!
                Folks,

I bought one of KIES assembled .264 uppers from JoeBob. I had a couple of functional issues with the upper (now resolved) and will be posting a review in the next few days. The problems had nothing to do with the barrel. KIES contends that the bore treatment reduces the need for an elaborate break-in procedure and emphatically states that the barrel should be cleaned ONLY with a patchworm and Patchout/WipeOut.

Being the skeptical sort I did a traditional 1 shot then clean for 5; 5 shot then clean for 25 break-in using Wolf MPT. Only one cleaning (the first) showed even a hint of copper. That's a first for me.

Since then, I've run 35 rounds of Hornady factory 6.5 G, and 30 hand-loads. The hand loads were built using new unfired Hornady brass, 123 Amax, 8208 (the charges ranging from 26 to 27 grains), and CCI BR4 and Fed 205M primers (15 of each). I've cleaned it twice, the last time after about 45 rounds and the barrel -cleans up very quickly with only the slightest hint of copper on the first few patches.

With a fairly budget (6-24 BSA mildot) scope on it I'm getting 1 inch or better out of it at 100. I think I'm what's keeping it from doing better. Typically, it will put 3 of 5 into about .3" at 100 with 2 close (lateral to the left) flyers. I've noticed that I see the POA moving (laterally) with my heartbeat so I'm pretty sure that's part of the problem. I just need to re-learn how to shoot. I'm impressed with the barrel. The only thing I have that's close to this accurate is a CZ 452 (at 25 yards). I'll put a more extensive review up shortly.

Good luck.
                Last edited by Guest; 10-24-2011, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Jg PM sent.

Travis Kies is a first class person to deal with. I have one of his KR - 22 and it is a tack driver that will rival any CZ 452. I probably have 5000 plus rounds through it and it still functions/shoots great out to 75+ yards.

I also have one of his 264 delta uppers and the build quality is excelent. I only have 40 rounds through it as I have another custom 264 that as my primary hunting rifle and dont have a lower built for this one yet.

Comment

The group I shot was 4 rounds just inside 1" at 100 yards. I think the groups will only get better as I become more comfortable with the trigger,the rifle itself, and as I work up the appropriate load.

I can't remember if I spoke to Travis or not (probably did) but my experience was the same as Costa's. They will get my business again.

Comment

• Jgloveracob

Thanks for the info guys. Another question...Does the kies from JoeBobs come with a bolt?

Comment

When I cost out the nano-ceramic bore coating shortly after it first came out, it was so expensive, and had to be re-applied so often, that simply re-barreling a rifle was about the same cost. I figured if I waited until the product had been out a while the price would come down, and it might be worth using. But the product disappeared. It would appear that i wasn't the only person who did the math and decided the product just wasn't worth the cost.

Comment

• JoeBobOutfitters.com

Thanks for the info guys. Another question...Does the kies from JoeBobs come with a bolt?
                          ALL of our complete uppers come with a complete BCG from any manufacturer: Kies, RRA, Spike's, etc. The barrels alone do not come with any BCG's.

Comment

• Overwatcher

I just ordered a 6 x 45 barrel from Travis over at KIES.
                            I had no knowledge of KIES until I got on Joe bob's.
                            Talked to Travis for a half hour or so on is barrels/work.
                            Haven't got the barrel yet or looked at fit/finish,but after talking to
                            Travis,I'm not the least bit worried if I do run into a problem.
                            He stands behind his product,and if you do have a problem Call him!
                            Travis also guarantees 1 MOA on his barrels aswell.
                            I'll follow up when I get the barrel.

Comment

I just received a Kies upper in 264 lbc last week which was 616.00 and ordered a billet lower with lpk installed for 157.00 shipped. Great service from Joe Bob Outfitters and if the lower is the same quality as the upper it should make for an excellent shooter

Comment

Working...
                              X