20" or 24" and what brake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20" or 24" and what brake?

What barrel length and what brake do you guys suggest?Thanks, I was thinking of getting the AA barrel.Any good?
  • RangerRick

Originally posted by 20incher View Post
    What barrel length and what brake do you guys suggest?Thanks, I was thinking of getting the AA barrel.Any good?
    Hi 20,

What is the application? If you need max velocity get a 24, if you want to keep the weight down and have better balance for carrying, go for the 20 inch pipe.

A lot of us on here swear by the WCI brake. Warped is on this board so you can ask him anything you want to know. You can get it from him or Alexander Arms sells them too.

If you need to take the brake off for matches (sometimes required so you don't blow the hat off the guy in the next firing position) you can just get a smallish Phillips head screw driver and stick it all the way through the holes and twist it off. No washers to worry about and it won't booger up the brake. A stout cleaning rod will work too.

RR
    Last edited by Guest; 10-23-2011, 06:18 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• mtn_shooter

Unless you're going to be regularly shooting at long range (500+), or you're ONLY shooting this rifle on the range (i.e. not hunting or hiking it around), get the 20" barrel. You get less velocity from the 20" tube, but it's still enough to keep you supersonic to 1000yd if need be. It will be much easier to get in and out of a vehicle, shoot offhand, and to lug around if you go hunting or take it camping/hiking etc.

As far as muzzle brakes go, I don't know that they're necessary. I have a WCI brake, and it's very effective, but you will shoot it once without ear pro. I personally don't think the Grendel has much recoil at all, at least not warranting a brake. Next time I go home I'm going to put on an A2 style birdcage and see how I like it.

Just understand that with any brake, it's going to make it significantly louder to the shooter.

Comment

• BjornF16
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

+1 on WCI brake (quicker follow on shots if needed), otherwise Grendel tamer than other rounds recoil-wise.
        LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
        Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
          +1 on WCI brake (quicker follow on shots if needed), otherwise Grendel tamer than other rounds recoil-wise.
          Yeah, shooter discomfort from Grendel recoil is not an issue. I shot 200 rounds at a class one day and had no soreness at all.

The brake makes self spotting and follow on shots much easier.

RR

Comment

The WCI brakes are top notch. If you are looking for a cheaper brake, I got one for around $50 from RWS on Snipershide. Both brakes are excellent, it just depends on the style you are looking for.

Comment

Does weight matter? I got a WCI brake and love it, the only thing I dont like is it is big and heavy, it weighs 6 ounces and adds several inches to the length of the gun. so if you go with a 24 and a WCI you are talking about a 27 inch barrel which aint great for getting in and out of vehicles ect.

Comment

• Texas Sheepdawg

Ross Brake, Hands down. Price is now $45.00. But he is back logged for a month or so.
                He is not quite back on his feet yet from a previous accident on an atv.
                He can custom build one for you. You just Pick Brake Diameter, bore size and threads.
                J&H Noonan Enterprizes did Accelerometer tests and Rosses' Brake cut recoil on
                the 450 Bushmaster AR Platform by 17%.

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

WCI, and titanium version if weight is an issue!

Comment

I got one of his titianium brakes. Really helps keep the weight down
                    Originally posted by smokey27 View Post
                    Does weight matter? I got a WCI brake and love it, the only thing I dont like is it is big and heavy, it weighs 6 ounces and adds several inches to the length of the gun. so if you go with a 24 and a WCI you are talking about a 27 inch barrel which aint great for getting in and out of vehicles ect.

Comment

• Texas Sheepdawg

Originally posted by rushmc View Post
                      I got one of his titianium brakes. Really helps keep the weight down
                      I found the link. How much is the Titantium brake?
                      Last edited by Guest; 11-04-2011, 03:37 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

I think it was around $195.00 shipped. Hopfully he can let you know soon. He has been out of the loop for a while. Not real sure when he will get back Oh, I just found this http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...le-in-Titanium!
                        Originally posted by Texas Sheepdawg View Post
                        I found the link. How much is the Titantium brake?

Comment

• Texas Sheepdawg

Nice.

Comment

Working...
                          X