• bwaites
    • Mar 2011

The way it works...best ever AR video!

• JASmith
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2014

Excellent video!
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• SG4247
      Warrior
      • Aug 2013

That is an excellent video!

Check out the barrel whip!

Thanks for posting B.
      NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

The barrel whip is what really stood out to both my son and I. He asked, "how in the world is any AR accurate?" Makes a lot of sense why we tune loads to barrel frequency when you see that!

Comment

• SG4247
          Warrior
          • Aug 2013

I have always worried about the stress on the reciever snout, specifically the area directly behind the barrel nut threads.

I can design a super stiff bull barrel, and clamp it to the reciever with a big strong barrel nut, but if there is flex behind the nut, then all AR receivers would be subject to those same physical dimensions, and thus the same problem.

Ive always wanted to computer model that senerio, never had the time.
          NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• babue
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

I saw the vid yesterday and was really amazed by the amount of barrel movement. Easy to see now why free floating the barrel makes such a difference. A handguard that is attached to the barrel would really mess with the harmonics of that barrel.

Comment

• Boondoggle
              Bloodstained
              • Mar 2016

That's the coolest thing I've seen in a while.

Comment

• JASmith
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                The barrel whip is what really stood out to both my son and I. He asked, "how in the world is any AR accurate?" Makes a lot of sense why we tune loads to barrel frequency when you see that!
                I saw that whip too.

Then I looked to see how much whip happened before the bullet was gone. What we can easily see happens after bullet exit.

There are almost certainly low magnitude oscillations going on even though they are hard to see in the video. Doesn't take much to throw a bullet an inch at 100 yards.
                shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                -- Author Unknown

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

I'd like to try in on a 4K big screen, because I think you could see stuff that you can't see on a smaller, less accurate screen. Unfortunately, I don't have one!

Comment

• lwminton
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2014

Is the point of tuning to get the bullet to exit at the top or bottom of the whip - ie not while it is moving.

Comment

• JASmith
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by lwminton View Post
                      Is the point of tuning to get the bullet to exit at the top or bottom of the whip - ie not while it is moving.
                      Yup!

Those extremes are where things move most slowly.

Think of the challenge of busting bottle swingwing on a rope...
                      shootersnotes.com

-- Author Unknown

Comment

• Joseph5
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2012

I can't say that it showed if definatively but it certainly appeared to me that the BCG didn't start moving until after the bullet had exited the barrel. It is really cool though and he has some other videos like that. One is a 1911 and another one where he is shooting an AK-47 without the receiver top on. Larry's youtube site has all sorts of cool videos showing slow motion shooting and other things. He has a degree in Mechanical Engineering along with the years of experience and rounds down range to have a unique understanding of firearms and shooting. I can't remember where I read it but Larry talked about when he was the marksmanship instructor for Delta's Operator Training Course. He fired so many rounds through his 1911 that he wore out the barrel!

Comment

• wheelguner
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2011

bwaites,

Great minds.....I posted a link to this great vid as well:

Found this in a post on another site that I frequent. While not Grendel specific I found it fascinating, informative and extremely well done. Thought the Horde might enjoy it as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phwDMrau_7Y bet you can't watch it just once

Comment

• bwaites
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by wheelguner View Post
                            bwaites,

Great minds.....I posted a link to this great vid as well:

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...-Amazing-Video
                            Lol, don't know how I missed it when you posted!

Comment

• dammitman
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2012

that is what i saw the most as well. very very good view of barrel whip.

Comment

Working...
                              X