• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MeatAxe
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2016

Vepr 6.5 Accuracy

Took my Vepr 6.5 G, 20.5" chrome lined bbl to the range for the first time shooting a variety of ammunition at 50 yards...

Well, it seemed to group Wolf steel case 100gr. fmj pretty well (@ 1"), but everything else was all over the place (4" or more @ 50 yds). This was Hornady A-Max & SST, Wolf brass cased 120gr. HPs, American Eagle 120 gr. OTMs.

This rifle apparently has a 1 in 8" twist compared to the usual 1 in 7.5" on Alexander Arms ARs. Is the Vepr just going to hate brass cased 120 something grain ammo?

What results are others getting with their 6.5 Veprs?

Thanks!
  • Joseph5
    Warrior
    • Oct 2012

Only the shorter barreled, 16 and 14.5 inch, AA rifles have a 1 in 7.5 twist. The 20 inch and longer barrels are 1 in 9 inch twist. My rifle is has a 1 in 8 inch twist barrel and shoots all weights from 95 to 130 grain accurately. I have no experience with Vepr rifles but it does seem odd to me that there is such a difference in group size. I am sure there is someone here that might have some insight as to what could be happening with your rifle. Joseph

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Were you using iron sights or an optic on your Vepr?

Comment

• MeatAxe
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2016

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
        Were you using iron sights or an optic on your Vepr?
        I was actually using a decent Nikon 3x9 scope with a Midwest Industries mount to the side rail.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Well I would suspect the scope or mount first but I don't own a Vepr. Next time you shoot at 50 yards you might try the iron sights and see if the groups change. Seems odd the Wolf Steel case shot the best unless you shot it first. The mount could've worked loose or maybe the new barrel fouled enough where the brass cased ammo just wan't accurate. You might try cleaning the barrel after the steel cased Wolf to see if it improves the accuracy of the other ammo.

Comment

• Texas
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2016

Isn't the Wolf steel case bullet :sealed" in place?

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by MeatAxe View Post
              Took my Vepr 6.5 G, 20.5" chrome lined bbl to the range for the first time shooting a variety of ammunition at 50 yards...

Well, it seemed to group Wolf steel case 100gr. fmj pretty well (@ 1"), but everything else was all over the place (4" or more @ 50 yds). This was Hornady A-Max & SST, Wolf brass cased 120gr. HPs, American Eagle 120 gr. OTMs.

This rifle apparently has a 1 in 8" twist compared to the usual 1 in 7.5" on Alexander Arms ARs. Is the Vepr just going to hate brass cased 120 something grain ammo?

Thanks!
              MA

What do you expect from a AK made in Russia?

LR55

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Thanks!
                MA

LR55

Comment

• MeatAxe
                  Bloodstained
                  • Mar 2016

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                  MA

LR55
                  To go bang EVERY time i pull the trigger and put the target down with authority. Bullets that go all the way through a car and knock down the bad guy on the other side, stuff like that.

I have some AKs in 7.62x39 and .308 that are 1-2" moa, so the 6.5 G Vepr should be capable of that, looks like it already is with the cheap Wolf ammo.
                  Last edited by MeatAxe; 09-07-2016, 04:43 AM.

Comment

• MeatAxe
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2016

Well I would suspect the scope or mount first but I don't own a Vepr. Next time you shoot at 50 yards you might try the iron sights and see if the groups change. Seems odd the Wolf Steel case shot the best unless you shot it first. The mount could've worked loose or maybe the new barrel fouled enough where the brass cased ammo just wan't accurate. You might try cleaning the barrel after the steel cased Wolf to see if it improves the accuracy of the other ammo.
                    As a matter of fact the Wolf 100 gr. fmj was the first I shot (8 rounds). Have only put about 50 rounds through so far -- wouldn't think it would bore foul with that few rounds especially with the chrome bore, but will try the Wolf fmj again and then clean to see if there's any difference. It is a new barrel, though, but was cleaned with a bronze brush and Hoppes #9 then patches of Patch Out before shooting the first rounds.

Comment

• MeatAxe
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2016

As a matter of fact the Wolf 100 gr. fmj was the first I shot (8 rounds). Have only put about 50 rounds through so far -- wouldn't think it would bore foul with that few rounds especially with the chrome bore, but will try the Wolf fmj again and then clean to see if there's any difference. It is a new barrel, though, but was cleaned with a bronze brush and Hoppes #9 then patches of Patch Out before shooting the first rounds.

Comment

• LR1955
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2011

To go bang EVERY time i pull the trigger and put the target down with authority. Bullets that go all the way through a car and knock down the bad guy on the other side, stuff like that.

I have some AKs in 7.62x39 and .308 that are 1-2" moa, so the 6.5 G Vepr should be capable of that, looks like it already is with the cheap Wolf ammo.
                        MA:

I think bullets go all the way through a car with about any modern or even antique rifle.

The problem is the design of the AK combined with poor quality barrels and poor construction. Sure, most will shoot when you pull the trigger and that is about all the Russians cared about when the AK was designed and produced. Aside from that, you will not achieve the same level of consistent accuracy with one that you will with even the 'service grade' AR-15.

My bet is your barrel is of unknown material meeting basic requirements in terms of precision and that as it warms up, your zero changes rather significantly and without any pattern.

The sights aren't doing you any favors either.

Just my experience with Russian made service grade firearms.

LR55

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

With that few rounds I'd really check to make sure the scope rings and mount are tight. I hope you get this sorted out I'd think the Vepr should shoot the brass cased ammo as good or better than Wolf steel cased.

Comment

• MeatAxe
                            Bloodstained
                            • Mar 2016

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                            MA:

I think bullets go all the way through a car with about any modern or even antique rifle.

The problem is the design of the AK combined with poor quality barrels and poor construction. Sure, most will shoot when you pull the trigger and that is about all the Russians cared about when the AK was designed and produced. Aside from that, you will not achieve the same level of consistent accuracy with one that you will with even the 'service grade' AR-15.

My bet is your barrel is of unknown material meeting basic requirements in terms of precision and that as it warms up, your zero changes rather significantly and without any pattern.

The sights aren't doing you any favors either.

Just my experience with Russian made service grade firearms.

LR55

7.62x39 offers some pretty good barrier penetration for $4.99 a box of 20. Wolf Grendel is not much more than that especially if you buy in bulk.

Although I prefer milled Bulgarian AKs, Veprs are pretty accurate as stamped AKs go, with thick barrels and RPK receivers, and so far they're the only AKs in 6.5 Grendel. I looked at the Galil Ace, but it's no more accurate than an Arsenal SAM7 (less so with cheap steel cased ammo) for $500 more

What I'd really like to see is the Russians field an actual 6.5x39 that would feed through normal 7.62x39 magazines and have it imported here or replicated elsewhere.

This looks promising, although it would make our forces miserably outgunned on the battlefield if our powers that be keep stubbornly sticking with the 5.56:

Title Image: Wolf Performance Amunition makes steel cased 6.5 Grendel; most likely the inspiration for the new round.A stray has followed them home: Russian small arms designers have apparently created a close clone of the 6.5 Grendel, called 6.5x39mm.At first glance, I thought this CIP specification from 2013 was just that of the 6.5 Grendel, submitted as part of Wolf Ammunition’s work with Alexander Arms to create steel cased ammunition in that caliber.However, if one looks closely, it is clearly different: The case is slightly longer than the 6.5 Grendel (by about .015″), and the cartridge retains the case taper of the 7.62×39 (about 1.3 degrees, whereas the Grendel has case taper about a third of that).Given the different dimensions, we can expect this round to be 50-100 ft/s slower than the 6.5 Grendel, but otherwise similar.
                            Last edited by MeatAxe; 09-08-2016, 03:46 AM.

Comment

• Texas
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2016

If the bullet has a sealant on it, it is less apt to yaw or move during the loading process. (WOLF steelcase)
                              With handloads, we are checking accuracy by single loading the rounds and then feeding them through a magazine. In most cases the results are different, sometimes significantly.
                              The AK47 being a looser design than an AR, the loading of non-military style bullets in normal operation mode can be affecting the concentricity of the round

Comment

Working...
                              X