• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WVB4
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2016

Need advice for a new grendel upper purchase

I recently decided I can't live without a 6.5 Grendel upper and I am looking for some advice. I have been checking out the Alexander Arms lightweight 18" and the entry 20" complete uppers. I will be using it for deer/hog hunting and possibly DMR type matches down the road. Anyone have any experience with the entry models? Should I just keep saving and get one of the premium models? I guess I should add that I haven't won the lottery so money is somewhat of an issue.

I have also been looking at Odin Works for their complete uppers or possibly their build kits so if anyone has experience with them please let me hear your thoughts. Thanks.
    Last edited by WVB4; 06-02-2016, 07:07 PM.
  • Fredman
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

What are your thoughts about two Grendels? A heavier one for matches and long range shooting, and a light weight for hunting. It is so cool to shoot a 10 pound Grendel. Just a little love tap.

I think money is an issue for most of us. Especially when you can have $1500 and more in a scope, and $200 and more in mounts...

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

The 18" 6.5 Grendel will surprise you on it's ability to shoot at extended range. A Friend went shooting with his Son at Ft. cambell and took his new 18" 6.5 Grendel he assembled himself. The Son brought along a Sniper from his unit and they were banging steel targets at 900 meters in no time with a little coaching from the Sniper Friend.

Personally I think it boils down to how your going to use your rifle and your wallet. The AA hunter is a fine lighter weight rifle that can do a variety of task. It won't be the best bench rest long range rifle but for us hobby shooters probably good enough. The AA hunter would be a great hunting rifle or even in run and gun shooting drills.

Comment

• WVB4
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Fredman View Post
        What are your thoughts about two Grendels? A heavier one for matches and long range shooting, and a light weight for hunting. It is so cool to shoot a 10 pound Grendel. Just a little love tap.

I think money is an issue for most of us. Especially when you can have $1500 and more in a scope, and $200 and more in mounts...
        Thanks for the response. You are right, with most people money is always an issue. I was just trying to convey that I'm not looking to put over $1000 into this upper at this time for one of the AA upper level units. At this time I'm only going to be able to fund one upper. Maybe down the road I will be able to get a second upper for long range. So for now an 18" or possibly a 20" would be best for my most immediate use which will be hunting but still allow good longer range performance. I'm not really looking at the 16" but if my thoughts are misguided someone please let me know. Thanks again.
        Last edited by WVB4; 06-03-2016, 10:11 AM.

Comment

• WVB4
          Bloodstained
          • Jun 2016

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
          The 18" 6.5 Grendel will surprise you on it's ability to shoot at extended range. A Friend went shooting with his Son at Ft. cambell and took his new 18" 6.5 Grendel he assembled himself. The Son brought along a Sniper from his unit and they were banging steel targets at 900 meters in no time with a little coaching from the Sniper Friend.

Personally I think it boils down to how your going to use your rifle and your wallet. The AA hunter is a fine lighter weight rifle that can do a variety of task. It won't be the best bench rest long range rifle but for us hobby shooters probably good enough. The AA hunter would be a great hunting rifle or even in run and gun shooting drills.
          I agree that the 18" looks like the best compromise for hunting and long range shooting. I don't really want to pay what they want for the AA Hunter because I'll also need a decent scope so I've been looking at the 18" lightweight complete upper. My only concern is that it is not 1 MOA guaranteed. Probably not a huge deal since hunting will be my main priority with this upper. The match thing may never happen for me. Thanks for your response.

Comment

• am4966
            Chieftain
            • Jul 2014

You might want to look at Precision Firearms, they have a setup with a Criterion Barrel for 850.00 that will shoot sub MOA. You need to upper grade to 18" barrel and I would change to the PF LMD brake for matchs. Since it's great for staying on target. There are other upgrade options too and imo this setup would be great for hunting, matchs and anything else. Then when your hook on the Grendel. You can save up for a better barrel or setup.
            12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
            Surge - Rugged Suppressor
            Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• WVB4
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2016

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
              You might want to look at Precision Firearms, they have a setup with a Criterion Barrel for 850.00 that will shoot sub MOA. You need to upper grade to 18" barrel and I would change to the PF LMD brake for matchs. Since it's great for staying on target. There are other upgrade options too and imo this setup would be great for hunting, matchs and anything else. Then when your hook on the Grendel. You can save up for a better barrel or setup.
              I've been looking at their website as well. They look like top quality uppers but they have some long wait times. I did send them an email with some questions so they are also on my list. Thank you sir for the advice.

Comment

• Clint_taylor95
                Unwashed
                • Jan 2016

I ordered the entry level complete upper in 16" from PF (Neptune EL V-1) on February 14and still havent received it yet. Going on 16 weeks now, they originally told me 8-10 weeks. If timing is a factor then you make look somewhere else, but from their reputaion and accuracy guarantee, I have no problem waiting (just wish they told me how long it would be to begin with).

Comment

• Ram _56
                  Unwashed
                  • May 2016

I hear ya. I ordered my upper from AA, we'll ship in 8-10 weeks. Ready? 18 freaking MONTHS to the day!!! Got the "will ship within 4-6 weeks" for over a year. Oh well, Got it an love it!!! I will give then a little break, ordered it 3 weeks after New Town.

Comment

Working...
                  X