• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cadre
    Unwashed
    • May 2016

Considering a 6.5 Grendel build

Hey new to the forum and did a little searching before posting but could not find a lot off information on carbon fiber barrels.
    I am considering building a 6.5 Grendel for my 12 year old son. I think, I have settled on 18" length because one of my goals is to keep the build light and another reason that I am looking at the 18" Christensen barrel. Has anyone had any experience with Christensen barrels?
  • ricsmall
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

I haven't shot one personally but I know two people with them and they shoot! I've read lots of good about them as well. There's another company with a CF Grendel barrel as well but I'm drawing a blank right now

Richard
    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

The Carbon barrels can sure shoot well, haven't shot an AR with one but have several bolt actions all were Christensen barrels. Talking it over with one of the owners of those rifles he expressed concern about how hot he was getting the barrel with multiple shots and the external temp of the barrel not being as hot as on his stainless barrel wondering if the barrel was dissipating heat better or the carbon just masking the true barrel temp. On a hunting rifle that sees a few shots then the job is done but if blasting targets I might be more apt to stay with a steel barrel over carbon.

A light weight 16 or 18 inch fluted barrel does not weigh much

Comment

• IceAxe
        Warrior
        • Jan 2014

A buddy of mine has a proof barrel on he AR 10 and likes it. When he had it here it shot about moa for us. I am not sure it was worth the grand it cost as you can get great barrels for half the cost. It did weighed less than a homogeneous barrel of that size (1") but it felt like it was heavier than standard profile.

Comment

• am4966
          Chieftain
          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Cadre View Post
          Hey new to the forum and did a little searching before posting but could not find a lot off information on carbon fiber barrels.
          I am considering building a 6.5 Grendel for my 12 year old son. I think, I have settled on 18" length because one of my goals is to keep the build light and another reason that I am looking at the 18" Christensen barrel. Has anyone had any experience with Christensen barrels?
          Just a suggestion, if your not stuck on a AR style Grendel for your son. How's is coming out with Bolt Action Grendels and they will be light. Just under 6lbs or 7lbs with out a scope, in the Bolt action section there threads about it.

RainerArms sells the Christensen barrel fyi
          12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
          Surge - Rugged Suppressor
          Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Joseph5
            Warrior
            • Oct 2012

KMON,
            That heat he is feeling is the Carbon Fiber dissipating it faster than steel which keeps the throat area cooler so the barrels last longer.

Comment

• Cadre
              Unwashed
              • May 2016

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
              Just a suggestion, if your not stuck on a AR style Grendel for your son. How's is coming out with Bolt Action Grendels and they will be light. Just under 6lbs or 7lbs with out a scope, in the Bolt action section there threads about it.

RainerArms sells the Christensen barrel fyi
              Not really so much as stuck on an Ar, I just already have spare parts for an upper build. I have a Noveske gen 2 chainsaw upper, lower and rail. Just need barrel, bolt/bolt carrier, and muzzle device.

Comment

Working...
              X