• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

Adjustable gas block

I've read allot of the previous posts on this site and around the web about adjustable gas blocks. I'm wondering if I'm planning on suppressing a 16 inch ar would I need the adjustable gas block or not. What would be the benefits of it? I don't reload. Shoot hornady 123 grain for hunting. The rifle won't get allot of use as it's purpose is hunting only.

Thanks for any input.
  • 6.5 mm Shoot
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2016

The idea of a adjustable gas block is to tune the guns action. You put one round at a time in a mag then shoot it and then adjust the block till the action holds open. Then I make one more adjustment out so to make sure that it will work every time. So far for me it has worked well. It lets enough gas through to just make the action work with out abusing it.

Now if you run a lot of different loads through your rifle then they say you should do it for each load that you use and keep track of how many turns out it takes for each load. Me personally I work with just one load in a given rifle. I work it up till I get the FPS I need and then work on accuracy and when I get that I stick with the load. So I don't do a lot of adjustment on the gas block after I get it set up for the load I am going to use.
    May each day bring you at least one pleasure.

Comment

• Rockfish Dave
      Bloodstained
      • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
      I've read allot of the previous posts on this site and around the web about adjustable gas blocks. I'm wondering if I'm planning on suppressing a 16 inch ar would I need the adjustable gas block or not. What would be the benefits of it? I don't reload. Shoot hornady 123 grain for hunting. The rifle won't get allot of use as it's purpose is hunting only.

Thanks for any input.
      I only have experience with the SLRrifleworks.com adjustable gas block. I went with it b/c of the very positive reviews and am glad I did.

It has the adjustment screw in the front.
      The actual adjustment has 15 detents that you can hear and feel when adjusting.

For ease of switching from suppressed to suppressed to non suppressed it just makes the most sense to me. I can just dial to the correct setting for either to optimize the functioning of the rifle under either condition.

Mine is for hunting as well...

Comment

Working...
      X